1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 Reasons Why

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ECMember, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Did anyone watch the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why? It felt like Degrassi on 2x steroids. I never saw some captivating in a high school drama. I mean it makes Degrassi look innocent to the dialogue, themes, and interactions between the characters.

My favorite characters were Clay and Alex and Hannah.
    My least favorite characters were Bryce(pretty obvious) and Courtney.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah i did! I love it! I made a thread ages ago about it after i watched it, idk where it is anymore. I thought it was really well written and very accurate, as someone who has been through some of the things that the show portrays - depression, anxiety, self harm, suicidal thoughts. It was very accurate. I'm actually not against the suicide scene either - yes its triggering, but the show put warnings before the episodes for that reason. Its up to me to protect myself, i alone hold that responsibility not everyone else. I think for those who haven't been there, maybe it will add some perspective.

I hate/love how the show wrote Alex...all the while they were so busy w/ Hannah and the tapes, Alex was suffering. Justin too, but Alex caught my eye from his very first scene. I like how inclusive the show is, too, as it has both gay and lesbian characters. That actually impressed me a lot.

To me, 13RW is what Degrassi wanted to be. For me Degrassi was too episodic and they portrayed some serious shit as being quickly resolved within their designated episodes, rather than continuously addressed throughout the season(s). They tried to do too much at once, i think.

Fav characters were Alex and Justin
    Least fav characters were Bryce and Courtney

#2 AlexJames, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  3. redplanet1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i so want Zach and Alex to get married at the end of the series!

4. Verklighet

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched the first season and kind
    of forced myself to watch it all, but I liked it.

My friend would use GIFs coming from
    that show to express how he felt for me
    (he knew he as Hanna). However, I stopped
    watching it because it reminded me of him and
    I don't think my dad would have liked to see that in
    the "Continue Watching For [name]" section because
    of my sister, but I think if I tried, I could watch it.

I tried reading the Wikipedia summaries, but they
    were not too entertaining and I eventually stopped.
    I will watch Season 2 and eventually Season 3 (when
    it comes out) at some point.

5. Verklighet

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some like these, he used to send me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really enjoyed the show and am interested in Season 3 when it finally comes out. It also helps that the book is one of my favorites. The first season does a solid job of adapting the book and building the characters from there. The only reason there was a good season 2 and a season 3 is coming is because they did a great job with establishing and developing the supporting characters.

I am conflicted about them extending the show even further, though. They left everything for Season 3 at the end of Season 2, but at some point a show has to end. With a show like 13 Reasons, since it's set in high school, it's pretty hard to take it past graduation at a max, but it should probably stop before then, in my opinion.

I'm also a little biased because I wrote an article about the first season for The Odyssey when I wrote for them and made some really good money off of that.
    I don't know how much of Degrassi you've seen or if you've seen the newer episodes on Netflix, but they've had some extended story arcs and repercussions of actions showing up a season or multiple seasons later (Cam Saunders suicide, for example, affected Maya Matlin pretty much until she graduated...so, several seasons; Yael has pretty much a season long character arc of exploring herself and beginning to identify as non-binary; the school shooting from many seasons ago had repercussions for quite awhile). Most Degrassi arcs are two episodes (especially pre-Netflix), so I do agree that it feels episodic for the most part, but that's also it's goal as a show. A lot of Degrassi episodes target topics, but only major events reverberate across multiple episodes or seasons.

I think the big difference between the two shows is that Degrassi is built on exploring the intricate relationships and identities and experiences of its massive cast of characters. 13 Reasons's goal is to explore one major topic over the course of one season while seeing how that topic affects those characters.

7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I kinda liked it at first, but it turned out to be so depressing.

8. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is the actor that plays Alex, is he gay or bi in real life...his name is Miles I believe. I have no issues with Miles being gay or bi

9. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (Late to the party) Big fan of the show.:metal: Despise the main character, Clay.:rage: In love with Tony. :heart_eyes: Waiting on season three with enthusiasm. :scream:

10. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    why don't you like clay?

11. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I found him to be hypocritical. He could rag on the others regarding how horribly they treated Hannah, yet he stood idly by during a decent portion of those incidents and never took up for her.

12. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is the character Alex(not the actor Miles) is he supposed to be straight or maybe a closeted gay or bi guy. I mean the viewer may have the impression that Alex maybe closeted but not Tony. When you see Tony, you may think he is a cisgender straight Latinx guy compared to Alex. I believe its just the heteronormative American stereotype of sexuality/gender that codifies male masculinity.

13. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty sure the whole theory of Alex being closeted gay or bi spurs from two things: the actor being gay and Alex definitely a close friendship with Zach in Season 2. Why? Because there is literally no support for him being gay or bi. He spends both seasons being very obviously into Jessica. I'm not sure what exactly could spur a viewer to think he's closeted. He develops a close friendship with Zach...who essentially operates as his physical therapist which justifies any close touching. So, Alex is, for all intents and purposes, straight.

Oh, and Alex getting a boner? Literally every guy ever has gotten boners at inopportune moments in time. Teenagers especially get them literally from something just rubbing them a certain way. And Zach helping Alex learn to dance? A friend helping a friend who has been struggling to walk let alone dance.

And yes, Tony comes across as a straight, masculine Latino guy who is actually gay. The only reason he can be interpreted as straight is because masculinity is associated with being straight for some reason. However, there are PLENTY of masculine dudes who are gay. This is pulled right from an interview regarding Tony: