1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out to my husband...now to actually do it

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Elle993, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Many times now I have felt the motivation, clarity and confidence that the time was right for me to tell my husband about my orientation.... then I would lose that motivation and get stuck in the daily rut of life and stressing about this secret I hold within me. I felt the motivation yet again about a week ago but told myself to wait until a couple days before our couples therapy session so I had that as a buffer to help us process the aftermath of the conversation. Well, I am days away from that therapy session and am faced with deciding if the time is right. I do not want to continue keeping this from him... our relationship has stopped growing in many ways and there is a huge disconnect between us while I keep this secret. In the last few months we have become more like roommates and while this is less stressful for me I know he wants more.

Any tips on how others have started this conversation? I wrote some notes on what I could say but it’s really difficult for me to initiate uncomfortable conversations... but I want to say it to him and not just give him a letter.

Side note - I have not cheated.. never have been in a relationship with a woman just finally recognized that I have feelings and attraction toward women and I have a desire to pursue this more and explore or live this side of me.

2. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s not easy, but if you are ready, it’s time to get it over with. Do you know what you want to happen with your marriage. Are you wanting to stay married? I had agonized over how to tell my husband for weeks and I ended up a blubbering mess when he initiated sex and I just couldn’t do it anymore. I told him I didn’t like sex. I started therapy and then told him I was attracted to women. Then later I told him there was a particular woman I was interested in. I’m not going to sugar coat it. It was awful. The worst conversations I’ve ever had, but I needed to move forward and be me. I hope everything goes as well as it possibly can.

3. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    From my experience, you just need to be as honest as possible without playing it safe to keep from hurting him. Don't give him a wrong impression that things are better than they are. Make sure he hears this fully without any buts..
    I would also be frank with him that it has nothing to do with him as a husband. Make sure he understands there is nothing he could have done to prevent this. It is not his doing or his fault. Keep it simple and short and allow time for him to process it all then come back to it at the therapy session.

Landgirl and Forlong like this.
  4. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think knowing it’s not going to be easy after I tell him is why it’s difficult for me to tell him. He gets upset and frustrated easily so it’s always been difficult for me to talk about anything that might cause conflict. That’s one of the main reasons we started couples counseling... because I can’t tell him how I feel when I anticipate it being met with anger.

Ultimately I feel like I want to separate from him and be me but there are very small aspects of our relationship that I do like buts it’s more in a fictional level... we have more financial security together compared to apart, we have 3 kids so it’s helpful to have 2 adults navigating all that goes into it... yep that’s pretty much it.

5. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sugar coating is what I do best. In the moment I never want to hurt feelings and I can see myself doing damage control by not being as direct about my feelings.... I know that will only prolong the pain for both of us. I need to just keep reminding myself to be honest and direct. Given that I anticipate he will be angry I’m starting to think if I do this I’ll wait until the evening before our session instead of a day earlier.

6. Really

Hi @Elle993 ,

Is there a reason you don’t want to do it at your appointment? I wonder if you’re expecting a bad response whether your therapist could help him move away from his initial reaction more effectively than if he gets to stew in it overnight.

Just a thought.

Good luck however you manage it. :}

Butterfly6 likes this.
  7. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good question - I thought about telling him there but worry that once the bomb is dropped we really wouldn’t have time to process what we need within the hour. My hope of telling him prior to therapy would be letting all the irrational high and low emotions come out first and then having the full hour to process in therapy. Also I feel that he deserves that first conversation to happen in private where his initial response is not being monitored so he can ask me what he needs to ask. I’m not sure if that makes any sense.

I decided if I am to tell him I will wait until tomorrow evening with therapy on the following day so we will only have that evening to talk and then can process in therapy the following day.

8. Really

Fair enough. It’s probably six of one and half a dozen of the other. Don’t forget about your own needs in this process. :]

Landgirl and Elle993 like this.
  9. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have to tell him right now? Could you ask your therapist how to approach it and then bring him to the following visit?

Landgirl and Elle993 like this.
  10. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I have an individual therapist who I have been seeing for about 1 1/2 years and I first came out to her questioning my orientation one year ago. I started couples counseling about 6 months ago and the couples therapist does not know about my orientation. When I tell my husband I plan on emailing the couples therapist to give her the heads up so she can be prepared for that session. My individual therapist has also offered that I can bring my husband to one of our personal sessions so we can talk there. She also suggested I come out to him in couples therapy if hat makes me feel more comfortable... I just want to be fair to him as well.

He had a bad day at work today so I’m not going to stomp on him while he is down... it may not happen tomorrow now.

11. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you e-mail or call the couples therapist ahead to see how they’d like you to do it? Just explain the situation? Or is that a no-no?

#11 Unsure77, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Elle993 likes this.
  12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wrote a letter, mostly to clarify how I felt about my wife, our marriage and my life. I gave her the letter but asked her not to read it for several days while I had a conversation with her. I chronicled my coming out story here a couple years ago. I'm not sure how to search for that but I'll recap it here.

I took my wife for a weekend camping trip. We went for a bike ride and then found a beautiful camping spot far out in the desert. I cooked steaks and opened up a bottle of wine. Then we watched a full moon rise over the desert. I then told her that I had always loved her will always love her and hoped that she could still love me knowing this.

Your story will be different if you are not feeling you can stay in your marriage. I was desperate to stay in mine.

I wanted to be able to answer her questions; but I also needed to give her a letter in case she freaked out. I needed to have all my thoughts out there for her to have. She carries the letter with her still after two years.

Elle993 likes this.
  13. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is my reason for staying and the fact it is nice to have someone care about you. I know that part is wrong because it is more of a safety net instead of me living authentically.

This is what I did and Yes it only prolonged the pain and has kept me in a wishy washy state back and forth never taking the leap.

There will always be a reason not to tell him, just as there will always be a reason not to hurt him, not to leave him... Don't get stuck in this mentality. Tell him at the counselor that way you have strength to talk and accountability to come out.

Landgirl likes this.
  14. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Let us know how it goes. Thinking of you!

Elle993 likes this.
  15. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Update: We had our couples session yesterday. I decided not to tell him before the session because it really was a unique challenge he had faced at work this week that brought him down and it didn’t feel right telling him at that time. During our session there was the perfect moment for me to bring up my orientation... awkward pauses and my therapist asking is there something else you are not telling us? Laying the ground perfectly for me to say it... and I just couldn’t do it. I thought to myself in that moment that it would be better for him to hear this for the first time just between us. I don’t know why I feel that’s important but it was the reason I held back.

On a positive note, now I feel like I have a good way to initiate the conversation when I do tell him. I can reference our talk in therapy and expand from there. My new goal will be to have this conversation before the next session in two weeks.

Thank you all for your support!

16. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Elle993 nothing wrong with that. It's amazing how hard it is to get the words out (but in my experience, such a relief after you've said it!). I hope you find the right moment and that it goes well. Thanks for updating us!

Turtle40, Drizzle and Elle993 like this.
  17. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    r

I failed several times at initiating my talk with my wife. I finally set a date and time (the full moon) and had to do it then.

If it isn't the right time, you don't have to do it.

#17 Nickw, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Elle993 likes this.
  18. Turtle40

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hobestly.. I was a lot like you. I came out to my husband at the time almost 3 years ago. It was not easy. We were married for 19 years and together for 24. I tried to navigate just the right time... I tried to soften, filter, find loop holes. I can say...there will never be a perfect time to do this.... There will always be something that feels more important..but your self identity is imporyant. It's going to hurt.... A lot... It will pass.... Eventually. Be you... I realized I wasn't doing him any favors, continuing a lie. Good luck, I'm glad you have this place. I wish I had found it 3 years ago!

Elle993 likes this.
  19. nce623

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Elle,
    I too am in a similar situation. I am 25 and have been married since 2015 and have always known that I was gay. About a year ago, I come out to her as bi which I knew was a lie to begin with. I started having an emotional affair with my best friend and that was terrible for her I’m sure. Currently we are still married and she knows the majority of what I feel but honestly I really want someone to talk to that understands where I am coming from. You know the conversation is very hard but after you get to being roommates that share a bank account it gets more difficult each and every day because if you’re anything like me I always wonder what would it have been like it if came out when I first knew “for sure” and where would I be like.
    Please write soon!
    Nick

Turtle40 likes this.
  20. Turtle40

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Nick,

I often wonder what it would have been like if I had lived my truth years ago...but the reality is...we are right where we are supposed to be, and can only be in the moment. I hope you continue to move toward your truth. It's a hard process! You're not alone!