1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prostate Cancer Survivor

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dionysios, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was two years ago this month that my doctor noticed a rise in my psa levels. Suspicious, he scheduled another blood tests a few weeks later. My psa levels had risen from 4.2 to 5.5. He advised me to have a biopsy. After reviewing the
    results, he informed me I had prostate cancer. I sat there in disbelief as he advised surgery or radiation. He said I could wait and monitor the cancer and gave me 10 years to live if I opted to do nothing. I was hesitant at first, fearful of losing erections and not being able to ejaculate. But I couldn't go on knowing I had cancer, so opted for surgery.

I was fortunate, as the cancer was more advanced than the doctor realized (psa was 7.8). The cancer had just broken out of the prostate wall but had not spread. While I am checked every six months, I remain cancer free. My brothers decided to get themselves checked out. Two also discovered that they had prostate cancer and underwent treatment. Just over the holidays another brother found out he had it too.

Prostate cancer is the leading cancer for men. I urge all guys to be checked for prostate cancer, as it is highly curable if detected early. There are side effects, ED (which can be treated with pills, pumps, shots or implants) and incontinence (which with exercises and time goes away). I can't ejaculate but can have dry orgasms. It's better to have these side effects and to be healthy than to be dead. Get checked out for youself and for the sake of your partner! *smile*

Destin, Tightrope, CuriousMan and 9 others like this.
  2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congrats on being cancer-free! Prostate cancer is an often overlooked disease. My dad is a survivor as well.

Dionysios likes this.
  3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on defeating cancer! I can't imagine how difficult this battle must be, but I'm certainly it isn't easy.

You are super correct, men need to learn that testing regularly for this after a certain age (or if you have risk factors) is essential. I have an uncle who haven't done the prostate exam because of prejudice (you know, the type of guy who says he doesn't want another man putting a finger there, etc.). And, unfortunately, things aren't going well for him now, and he could have detected it early...

Anyway, congratz again! :slight_smile:

Dionysios likes this.
  4. CuriousMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow. That must have been an awful worry for you. Good on you for staying positive. There ain’t nothing wrong with dry organisms !!!

Dionysios likes this.
  5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I applaud your bravery for sharing this with us. It sounds like you made the right decisions at every fork in the road, that you had good people in your corner, such as your doctor, and that your attitude is remarkable.

Dionysios and CuriousMan like this.
  6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your kind words. Happy your father is doing well!

7. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Appreciate your remarks. Prostate Cancer can be a killer. Hope more guys get checked out.

8. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tightrope, I was very fortunate that my doctor was so proactive. Prostate Cancer is an insidious disease. You feel fine, which is why many guys fail to recognize the early warning signs. Unlike women and breast cancer, a lot of men, sadly,don't think about it.

9. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I want to add - even after surgery for prostate cancer, you need to go back for checkups for another two years because it can come back if any piece of the cancer itself was missed. My father last year was diagnosed with prostate cancer, got treatment but it came back after almost a full year of no issues and showed up in the lymph nodes in that area. He has since started another treatment.

Tightrope, CuriousMan and Dionysios like this.
  10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That you for the reminder! I quite agree. I go back every six months or so. If any cancer is detected, the doctor will prescribe a round of radiation. Anyone with cancer has to remain vigilant for a recurrence.