1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to use sports tape?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to use sports tape to bind my chest because I really hate having straps show, even if it makes my chest flat. So I don't know if I'm gonna be comfortable with using a binder and I don't want to use sports bras anymore. I was looking online for other ways to bind and just about every method people suggest has straps. It's not even just that, I don't want to have to wear anything, I just want something that feels like my own skin. So the only method I can think of is sports (or KT) tape. It's stuff that is used for sports injuries usually. I don't know, I'm not much into sports, haha. But I don't know if it's safe. I've heard that it is safe, to a certain extent...which I guess all binding is. So I've read that it shouldn't leave any bruising and it won't break your ribs, anything serious like that...the only problems I've heard is that it can rip off bits of your skin if you're not careful taking it off and your skin can be sensitive to the tape when first putting it on because it's not used to it. But I read that your body gets used to it over time and to just be careful taking it off. I would just take it off in the shower so it's soaked through and...won't rip my skin off. And I'm thinking about doing like a patch test, like putting it on a small area of my body first to see if I have any serious adverse reaction (I don't think so but I shouldn't take risks...)

But this sounds kind of too good to be true. Has anyone heard if this is unsafe? Does it sound okay to try?

#1 Spot, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used KT tape for a while but only when my binder was calling me a lot of pain and while I was travelling. In theory the stuff is great and causes less pain than binding although it's not as effective even though my chest was small. However you're right that it can and often does peel of skin. It left me with a lot of blisters along the edge of the tape which could have potentially become infected. You might think its easy to take off when it's wet but if you go for the synthetic waterproof tape (which I did because the other doesn't stick to your skin as well) it'll hurt just as much as if you pulled it off dry. If you do end up using it I'd suggest putting a bit of tissue or something on the nipples to stop them from being ripped off because that's the bit that hurts the most in my opinion.

One big factor to think about is whether you want top surgery in the future. As the elasticity and general condition of your chest will effect top results and tape can causes the skin to become damaged and lose elasticity. That's the main reason I didn't use it more often and only when necessary.

#2 Aberrance, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Reviskova likes this.
  3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't like to recommend tape, though it can be done if you're being safe about it. Like you say, if you take it off too soon, it can tear bits of your skin off. There's a company that does specialize in selling tape to trans people, and they do also say to either take it off in the shower or to use baby or cooking oil to lift the tape off your skin. Also, never cover your nipples with the tape, you can use a piece of gauze to cover the area.

I also personally wouldn't use it every day either. In my experience, the area can get irritated and itchy, so I wouldn't recommend using it on a daily basis. If you don't have to use tape on a certain day, I wouldn't to give your body a break.

4. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used it once before i got a proper binder, it did not work as well as my binder does now and it made my skin UNBEARABLY itchy. to the point where i couldnt stand to have it on for more than a hour. i never used it again. i might be allergic to the glue or something but like what people said above it can cause skin to come off, reactions, and is not even good enough to justify some of its cons. if it is your only good option maybe, but i wouldnt count on it and be very careful.

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really? I didn’t know that :\ I do want to get surgery, binding’s only meant to be a short term thing for me. All I read was that using tape could “shrink the chest size” but I’m guessing they meant it affected elasticity, that makes more sense. Although I’ve heard all forms of binding, even with an actual binder can do that?

Yeah, I don’t bind everyday. Mainly because like you said, I need to give my body a break. Usually I don’t bind unless I’m going out somewhere…if I’m staying home I don’t, even though those can be the days where I’m most dysphoric, I just wear a big shirt or something.

I don’t know, maybe I’ll just try it once and see how it goes. I don’t know what the results are going to look like yet so it might not even work properly. I’ve heard some say it doesn’t flatten all that well and some say it works but I think it depends (like always).

Thanks for the advice, guys :relaxed:

6. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the reply, I think I’m gonna try it once just to test it but I don’t know. I’m kinda nervous...

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be very careful with using tape. At the end of day this kind of tape is not really designed to be used for binding. Also, long term use of that adhesive would likely cause some level of damage to your skin. The main thing i would be concerned about though is making the tape too tight. That could cause breathing issues and even damage your ribs.

Mihael and Hawk like this.
  8. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a very painful experience with sport/keinsology tape. When putting the tape on and wearing it, I noticed it tug on the skin a little but wasn't too bothered because I was so euphoric about having a flat chest without a binder. It definitely wasn't worth it though. When it came to taking it off, no amount of oil or creams would prevent it from taking my skin off with it. I ended up with my sides grazed, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it! Stick to what others have had good experiences, maybe look into their experience with KT tape.