1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever date a person with the same name as a sibling?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tigermud, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Tigermud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you met someone you really like to only find out they have the same name as a relative.

Personally I don't think I would date a person with the same name as my sister or mother. Maybe the same name as a cousin well because there's no close bond.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes thought the same way but in all reality its kind of ridiculous. Its just a name and I really won't stop my self from falling for someone because of it. At least I have my mom, two sisters and a dad who has a uncommon name so my chances of falling in love with someone of the same name as a close family member is pretty limited anyways! lol

#2 dano218, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I would. It would be completely silly and a bit stupid to not date someone because of a trivial thing like that.

4. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I see no problem with it. My uncle married a woman with the same name as my mom (his sister). The thing I was more wondering about, is what about dating someone with the same name as you?

5. Tigermud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard of plenty people dating people with the same name. Like famously we have rose and Rosie. Another one just popped in. How about dating someone with the same name as an ex? I think If there's no relation to personality I don't think there's any harm.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can see why some are opposed to it, although it does seem like a trivial matter. Since I don't have any brothers, it doesn't apply to me.

It has happened in my family. My aunt's husband has the same name as my dad who is her brother.

#6 Joe2001, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My cousin did that with back-to-back GFs. I don't recall how long it was between relationships. My brother has only had two real GFs in his life, and while they didn't have the exact same name, but close, and the traditional shortened versions of their names are the same, although his current GF doesn't shorten her name. I also know someone who married a person with the same last name. They checked early on in their relationship and found that they were not related.

8. Loves books

Yes I would but it would be out of necessity. My sisters name is within the top 25 of girls names born in the years of people I would be willing to date. It’s a popular name with many also popular variations and derivatives. My brother did date a girl with my sisters name. It wouldn’t seriously bother me and I wouldn’t count someone out because of their name, and it might be a conversation starter.

9. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually used to sort of have a thing with a guy with the same name as my soon-to-be brother-in-law (although I met mine before he started dating my sister) but now, I actually avoid guys with his name, which even to me feels irrational. It's also a super common guys name, so there's a slight challenge there.

I wouldn't mind as much if it was my dad's name or uncles' or cousins' names though, for some reason.

As for someone with my same name, the possibility game up last year and I felt super weird over it for some reason. I haven't come across many guys with my name (even though it's fairly common), but I do have some weird reservations over it.

10. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it once and it was kind of weird but not that big of a deal so yes. It never stopped being creepy when friends would mention things using her name though. Every time I heard something like 'we saw you and (sister's name) making out' etc. it would instantly become a very weird moment in my head.

11. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I wouldn't.

It might seem dumb, but I would always associate him with my brother if he had the same, and I don't ever want that to happen. I also wouldn't date someone with the same name as my father, but I doubt any guy my age would have the same name as him.

I wouldn't see myself dating someone with the same name as me either. That's like, my name and mine only xD. It's not very common, though, so no issue.

A more probable problem would be dating someone with the same last name, which I wouldn't do either. It's like, I'd always worry we're too closely related. I wouldn't like that.

Say all you want about that, but I associate names a lot.

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My brother's name is pretty uncommon, so it's not likely and I doubt I would.
    My dad's name is extremely common, so I wouldn't even associate it with him and I would date him.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure. Why throw away an a chance at something over a name?

Besides, plenty of great jokes to be had at its expense. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think I could but who knows. I'd have to give them a very different nickname lol. My sister dated a guy with the same name as our brother but it's a common name so nobody really thought much about it.

15. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I would. I see no issue with that.

Yeah I would as well, it would be actually really funny.

I also think that chances of it happening here are not that low since in my country it is much more usual to encounter a person with the same name than it is in the US or other English speaking countries.

16. Loves books

My mother works with a man with my brothers name and my sister works for the same company in a different location with someone with my name. They all know each other. They have conversations involving my name but not about me. I met the woman once, I stayed silent because I never knew if they were talking to me or her. It was usually her.

17. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother used to have a girlfriend with the same name as our sister. It was no big deal. The relationship did turn to shit in the end, but the name was not an issue, it was just that their personalities weren't right for each other.

I would date a guy regardless of his name. I know its easy to connect a name with the first person you think of with that name, but after a while when you've gotten to know that person better, the name becomes who they are, not who your relative is. I'm not going to turn a guy down because he's male like my brother, so I don't see the point in turning him down because of his name.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be rather silly to exclude someone on the basis that they share the same name as a sibling. Some names are so common that we could be excluding huge numbers of people who would otherwise be a great match for us.

Is it really something that you couldn't possibly find a way around?

19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn’t exclude someone based on their name. Am I grateful my girlfriend’s name isn’t the same as mine? Yes lol. But would it have stopped me from dating her? Absolutely not.

20. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

I wouldn't want to date some with my name either, although that's less likely to occur.