1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are most people bisexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mihael, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your opinion on this? Do you think most people are at least a little bit bisexual? I always thought so. Esecially if you like sex in general, it's hard to not feel attracted to what is not your target every now and then. But I'm surprised to discover how many women are actually disinterested in other women and how much they see other women as asexual to the point that physical closeness and watching each other naked doesn't turn the on. Like, I would see that as a standard that adults don't invade each other's personal space, and showing your boobs to someone would mean something sexual and that interpreting it this way is in no way odd.

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was surprised to hear from a few female friends that they never though of any woman this way. But the libidos of two of them aren't too high. It also surprises me how little so many women care about sex. It's a normal adult thing. We wouldn't reproduce if we didn't have sex, would we? If women didn't like sex.

androgynousdog likes this.
  3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I'm someone that doesn't really buy into sexuality being very fluid. It definitely is for some, but overall I think many of us have hard lines when it comes to that. Personally I could never be with/have sex with a female no matter what and then you have straight people that could never do something with the same sex because it just isn't how they are and have no desire for it to begin with. I feel that in general sexuality is a bit more fixed when it comes to a person's true orientation.

tystnad and Nightlight like this.
  4. merry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i think so, that all people have a little bit of fluidity.
    i mean, i didn’t know i was queer (bisexual) until i was, so if a friend had asked me i would have said no. but once i realized i was, looking back there were always signs.

someone very close to me insisted for years they were straight, and couldn’t fathom the idea of being with anyone other than cis women, recently realized and came out to me as newly bisexual.

i don’t think changing in a dressing room with friends necessarily would be a turn on thing for me, unless i already found said friend attractive, i don’t generally feel very arroused around most of my friends of either gender..

i have traveled a lot and stayed in many a packed hotel room and always find it interesting how some people strip down in the mix of us all and get ready and others wait for a turn in the bathroom...

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, changing room is okay with me, I don't have to stare where I feel uncomfortabel staring, but I have a friend who wants us squeeze into one changing room, the two of us, and she undresses and wants me to take a look at her underwear. Oh well...

Before I knew I wouldn't say I'd be with a woman, but I did find situations like that to be arousing and admitted it. Like, I see that as a normal adult thing. Kids may squeeze into one bed and not feel anything about it, but if another adult hops under my duvet these days, I'd clearly see it as a suggestion. Man, woman, doesn't matter.

6. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is a really good question. I personal believe that a lot of people are bisexual and that we are “forced” to suppress these feelings due to media, religious views and so on. I think that if you find someone beautiful then there is nothing wrong with that and I wish more people had the same view.

7. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too many people are closed books, who go with what society expects of them. They close there mind, body and soul. But they are missing out. I've been gay, bisexual, now gay, having had relationships with both sexes. But guys do it more for me personally....though with younger generations, they are much more comfortable to explore their sexuality....

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I don’t think anyone is 100% anything. I think society trains people to be a certain way. I never allowed myself to explore mine until recently. For a long time I wanted men. Now I want women.

MiaSwan, Meander, Forlong and 3 others like this.
  9. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree completely

Meander, Forlong and Love4Ever like this.
  10. Butterfly6

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There has been a few studies that say that women are a bit more fluid in their sexuality than males. From experience a lot of my girl friends have been bi curious/bisexual and may think of the same sex now and then, but their orientation is towards men. Everyone is on the spectrum between gay and straight, some people more one way and others another way.

11. androgynousdog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i definitely agree that societal conditioning, unfortunately, does severely hinder the process of self exploration--and the openness to accepting and recognizing feelings that may or may not be romantic and/or sexual for non-cisgendered opposite sex individuals. however i don't believe the majority of the population is inherently Bisexual, or at least identifying as such. Heteroflexible would be a better word for it, in my humble opinion. Although if the majority of the population is actually some degree of bisexual, then great!

Meander and merry like this.
  12. androgynousdog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oops. i meant to say towards people that arent necessarily cisgender opposite sex heterosexuals! my bad.

13. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, heteroflexible, more something like that probably.

Contrary to the studies, in my experience, men are more frequently sexually fluid than women. Maybe it has to do with a higher sex drive.

#13 Mihael, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  14. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember reading somewhere that most people are somewhere along the spectrum of gay<--->straight, with true 100% bisexuality (without even a slight preference either way) being extremely rare. Me, I'm pretty far on the gay end of that spectrum... I can find women aesthetically appealing but I don't remember ever feeling any kind of romantic/sexual attraction to a woman.

15. tystnad

tystnad Guest

This is a discussion that seems to pop up here every now and then so sorry if I’m repeating anything I’ve said before:

Are more people bisexual than we/they are aware? Oh, definitely. Heteronormativity makes a lot of straight people stick to the label straight even if they’re maybe not 100% straight – plenty of them may not even realize it. On the other end, there are also gay people who may be more bisexual but either feel more comfortable identifying as gay or who take on the label without considering if they’re actually bi. That definitely leaves plenty of people identifying as straight or gay when they’re actually a little more fluid in that sense.

But is everyone bi? No. And I actually i think that pushing the idea that everyone isfeeds into dangerous homophobic sentiments. I’m not saying everyone who says this is the case is blatantly homophobic (far from), but there’s a real danger in applying your own experience to the experiences of others without taking their actual experience into account. When it comes down to it, how different is saying “everyone is a little bi” or “everyone’s sexuality is fluid” from homophobes saying “oh, you consider yourself a lesbian now, but just wait until you meet the right man!”

I know you probably don’t mean it bad when you say it, but the only thing I – someone who with 200% certainty identifies as gay, no exceptions whatsoever – hear is you discrediting my entire experience, as if you somehow know me better than I know myself. I’ve never been attracted to men, ever. That’s the only thing I’ve been certain of my entire life, well before I even knew I was into women, and it’s a thing I’ve had to fight to accept and get others to accept much more than the fact that I was into women because of society’s messed up sexualization of lesbians. I don’t need anyone else to tell me that somehow any of that wasn’t real, whether it’s a homophobe or someone who is in the same community as I am but somehow still seems to think my experience is any less real than theirs.

We need to be really careful not to project our own experiences on others when we’re theorizing about things like sexuality. That goes both ways: gay people should not assume bi people are just “on their way to becoming gay” or in denial or whatever. Similarly, bi people should not assume everyone is bi/fluid/whatever just because they are. It doesn’t help anyone to assume everyone’s experience is the same as ours, and itdefinitely doesn’t help anyone to discredit members within the community, who should be our allies, by using sentiments that are very hard to separate from the ones homophobes use.

Meander, Shorthaul, Lance and 4 others like this.
  16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, for sure not everyone is. Just from talking with people, it's obvious.
    I'm sorry that it could sound this way and that it upset you.

This thread stems from this more. ^^

#16 Mihael, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  17. tystnad

tystnad Guest

after the first paragraph i was responding more to the responses in this thread than to you, sorry for not making that clearer! i find this topic comes up quite often here on EC and i genuinely think some of it is truly harmful if not countered (even if not intended as such) so i didn't want to just... not respond to the things said after your post

i definitely think it's not all that odd that female friends of yours never thought of other women that way, though! i surely never thought of men that way, and growing up in a place where nudity is far from taboo (saunas, no private changing stalls in pools, etc) i had become so trained, i guess, in recognizing asexual nude settings that i didn't think of women that way, either, until i allowed myself too (but still not in those settings). in many places, though, nudity is so sexualized that that may be entirely different - cultural context can affect a lot of the things we feel/do/understand

#17 tystnad, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2019
  18. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from.

But my male friends don't squeeze into tight spaces together to fix each other's underwear! xD I talked with guys about it too and they would also have "associations" and "thoughts", even if not exactly into the other guy. Of course I'm not speaking about everyone but there is a trend. I used to be so uncomfortable with such habits until I spoke up that I just don't want to participate. The worst thing is when you have such thoughts and you're not into this other person... ew.

19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (I got my username changed, the previous one was emerry)

20. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Based on the people I befriend, yes. But I know my selection is biased. Those are the kind of people I like.

As you probably know, "we're all bi" is often just somebody's psychological projection, or lame pickup line.