1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am unhappy but also really scared of change

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Elle993, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I completely agree about the feelings of guilt. I like to live an honest life because anytime Ibam just slightly dishonest it eats away at me. I recently met up with a new group of friends that are all women that came out later in life or still trying to figure it all out. I told my husband that I met new mom friends from a social group and technically I didn’t lie but I left out the part that everyone is gay or questioning. I felt so much guilt from doing that... I can’t imagine how wrecked I would feel if I actually did something with another woman. I want the validation but hate being dishonest hence feeling stuck.

2. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Very good question - and yeah...most days I think I can see myself in a relationship with a woman. Yes... the physical attraction and desire for intimacy was first but it does feel like more than that... I do feel a little like a crazed teenager this year as these feeling toward women really opened up for me all of a sudden but I also feel the thoughts of emotional connection and relationship toward women. I think a part of my difficulty is the length of time I have been with my husband... we met when I was 24 and now I am almost 40... we built so much of a life together and created my picture perfect world.. I wonder if it’s more difficult to let go of the image i built and the time I invested to get to where I am with this current relationship... but then as I sit here in my current situation I realize I am not fully happy.

3. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ahh yes the bird in the cage... I am familiar with this one but didn’t feel the impact personally until just recently. I feel like my door is wide open but there are so many comforts in my little cage. I have not done any NLP work in therapy but I’ll have to look into it. My upbringing has definitely instilled an importance in stability no matter how unhappy you are so I could benefit from working on recognizing how this negatively impacts my choices.

4. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The “crazed teenager” feeling is super common when we discover this new side of ourselves. Some people liken it to a second puberty. I’m 44 and have been with husband since I was 22. Two kids, nice house in suburbia, good schools... and I feel like an imposter. The soccer moms in their SUVs don’t know the real me. My husband doesn’t even know the real me. I hate that I can’t be who he wants me to be. Don’t you feel like you’re at a crossroads? Which path do you take? It’s true the grass isn’t always greener, but is that really what this is about for us? Just some musings...

5. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your life sounds all too familiar. I feel like I have been slowly creeping along a new path for over a year and I’m now standing at a crossroads trying to decide what to do. You are absolute right... it’s not about choosing the option with the greener grass but rather the path that allows me to live my most authentic self. I am reading a book right now that is hitting upon this. “You may be aware that deceiving another person is not in alignment with your soul, but decide to do that anyway in order to gain profit, or save a relationship that you are not ready to lose. You may know the path of compassion is to share your thoughts and actions, and yet decide not to share them because you think that would cost you money, or security...” anyway... that was one quote of manybthat resonate with my current situation.

6. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What book are you reading?

7. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav :slight_smile:

weary and L8bloomer like this.
  8. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that quote really touched a nerve for me. I can’t stand this feeling. I was just saying on another board that the woman I loved jerked me around for literally 6 months (and shame on me, I let her bc she’s the only woman I’ve been with and really, really loved her)... anyway I know she loved me but she wasn’t ever going to be ready to live the life with me that I wanted. I feel like she must have known deep down that she wasn’t ready, but selfishly she didn’t want to let me go either. Now I feel like I’m doing the same thing to my husband. Not exactly the same, but enough to make me feel like shit. I know deep down how this will end. I’m just not ready. I don’t want to hurt him, but this limbo is probably hurting him more than just making up my mind. Do you feel any closer to moving forward? What do you think would help or make you feel more comfortable?

9. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It’s difficult because I feel like I am not ready to let go of the relationship partly because I am not sure if it is the right choice which is a reason that should be explored but another reason is out of fear which is not a good reason. Either way I need to be brave and at the very least let him know what’s going on with me because he doesn’t even know about my questioning of my orientation. I am sure it’s hurting him in the process and that’s not fair to him. I think I am moving in the direction of talking with him but the movemnet is slow.

L8bloomer likes this.
  10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don’t be too hard on yourself. I can relate to both these reasons for going slow. It’s a big decision with lots of unknowns. Baby steps are fine. You go at your pace.

Elle993 and L8bloomer like this.
  11. redplanet1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i think you have to assess yourself. whether you want the fear of the unknown keep you from your happiness or conquer it and be free to live your life the way you want. i know it seems easier said than done, but you just have to take it one step at a time. as for you and your husband, maybe you can be out of the relationship but still be in a relationship with your husband. i mean, above and beyond, i hope you have built a really strong friendship with your husband that can survive after your marriage is dissolved (if that's the course you want to take). after all, you do have children together. so at the very least, you have that bond between you two. in any case, it's best that you talk to your husband about your dilemma. communication will be the best tool to aid you to find your answers. :relaxed:

12. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good insight here...
    ok - I have been thinking about this a lot and yesterday I made the choice to stop avoiding him in fear of uncomfortable conversations (that’s one small step). Lately I have been avoiding alone time with him because I sensed he wanted to talk and I wasn’t sure if I was ready... not knowing what exactly he wanted to talk about. We had couples therapy today and he finally addressed his issue and it was minor compared to what I had anticipated. I wondered if he had suspicions about my orientation and wanted to ask but it ended up being about me being distant recently at a social gathering. This is a perfect example of how the stress of the unknown is much worse compared to finally addressing what is on someone’s mind.

Our next therapy session is in 2 weeks and my goal is to tell him before the next session. Putting it here so I can hold myself accountable :slight_smile: between now and then I will make an effort to be available for us to talk and when the timing is right I will tell him about what has been happening as honestly as I can.

L8bloomer and Drizzle like this.
  13. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Good Luck @Elle993 Don't stress to much about talking with him. I don't think anyone can fail so badly at it as I did! I think I will hold that title forever.

#33 weary, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  14. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck @Elle993! You can do this :slight_smile:

Elle993 likes this.
  15. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you! Doing my homework this week and writing down my thoughts on what I would like to say... then practice saying it.. i think it will be best to tell him 1-2 days before therapy so we have a place to process with help from the therapist.

L8bloomer likes this.
  16. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck @Elle993 - you're sounding positive and have a plan in place. Will be rooting for you.

17. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great idea about the timing before therapy.

amiready likes this.
  18. lucybee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I just signed up for this forum today. I'm 31 and I recently (2 months ago) initiated a separation from my husband. I read through this thread, and thought I would respond, as I have recently faced so many of the same issues and understand how painful this is. (I do not have children with him, though, and I can only imagine how things makes things so much harder.)

I also withdrew from my husband, after I had an intense romantic friendship with someone. It threw me through a loop, as I didn't realize I was queer until this happened. My perspectives on myself, my sexuality, my vision for my life, my interests, started to change drastically, and I had no idea how to talk to him about it. I was unhappy and very anxious to the point of not taking care of myself, for a year or so. Eventually I had the talk with him. It didn't go well at first, but there was a period where we actually felt closer and were communicating better and even gaining a bit of intimacy. I felt a lot of hope at this stage. I feel like some couples could really make it though this.

But I started to realize that there was more to it than just being open and honest, and probably more to it than just me being queer. I needed change, and I felt stagnant, trapped, and not my authentic self. I withdrew again a bit, and then I asked for some space to try and get a handle on the anxiety. Living apart for a little bit helped me realize that I felt more like myself again. When I went back to him, it fell apart really quickly. I couldn't see a way to move forward with him as I couldn't picture my life ahead without experimenting with sexuality/relationships with women or other people, and having the freedom to be myself.

The breakup was extremely painful.. I lost a best friend and my family. Christmas was awful. I still consistently question myself and whether I made the right choice. But I have to continue to trust that if I made this choice, it IS the right choice for me. Clearly, it is time for me to go down a different path. It is really sad. I love him and care for him. We are trying to navigate this separation, and neither of us really knows what it looks like. But I do feel better on my own and I must listen to that truth.

Sorry this reply is so long, but it is just so nice for me to hear of other people who have been in similar situations. Thank you, and I am wishing the best for you!

Elle993 and weary like this.
  19. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you and welcome! I have some follow up questions about your situation so I can try to sort things out for myself. Do you mind my asking how you finally initiated the conversation? Sounds like I am where you are where you held this in for about a year before telling him... I first awakened to these feelings a little over a year ago and it’s getting to a point where I just need to say something or thos is just going to continue where I feel stuck with no growth. I really want to be able to tell him next week before our next session and it helps to hear how others initiated that conversation.

When you say you were involved in a romantic friendship... was there physical intimacy or only emotional intimacy? Was it mutual or did you feel this way toward someone but not share your feelings? I have had several crushes toward other women but none of them know... mostly strangers or acquaintances but not close friends.

Thank you again... reading about other people’s experiences has been very helpful.

20. lucybee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Of course, I am happy to answer any questions. I'm so glad I found this forum as a support.

Yes, it does sound like you are at a similar point to where I was when I told him. It felt like a breaking point, like I couldn't hold it back from him any longer. I just basically bit the bullet. I think I told him when we were walking home one night. It wasn't graceful, it was mostly really awkward. I told him I'd like to talk to him about some things that are really important to me, and I told him that I'm attracted to and interested to women, and I had to elaborate and tell him that this came about because of my friendship with this person. So, he reacted pretty poorly because he had also known and been friends with this person and it hurt him that I had kept this from him. I don't think he would have reacted so poorly if I had just said "I think I might be bi" or whatever. I tried to make it clear that I was still interested and attracted to him (because I was at the time), but that these feelings and parts of me needed to get out in the open in the interest of honesty and emotional connection.

Re: my romantic friendship. It was a close friendship at first, and it turned romantic for me really quickly, longer for her. I didn't share my feelings at first (had no idea what was going on), but eventually did when it was clear there was both physical and emotional attraction between us. Physically we didn't take it very far (obviously I was married), and emotionally it put our friendship on the rocks, so we tried to come back down from it. It worked ok, but by that time I was realizing I could totally be fully gay, and was feeling really messed up about my marriage and also still intensely attracted to my friend. So it was messy for awhile.

I'm glad you are about to talk to him, I hope it goes well. And it's definitely a great idea to have a couple processing days before therapy - my husband's reaction the first night was totally changed by the time we got to the 2nd or 3rd day, and it was a lot easier to communicate by then.

weary and Elle993 like this.