1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Let the hate flow: Karen Pence teaching art at school that bans gay students, parents

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Jan 16, 2019.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s not surprising, but it is still disappointing. I mean her agreeing to work at the school is her co-signing these beliefs. This is what so many in the GOP actually believe and feel when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community, that’s why the VP’s spouse had no hesitation working for a school that discriminates against our community.

PS: the part about acting out of designated male, female roles was just like... what?

3. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad, but what else can we expect from a catholic school?

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to Christian schools as a kid and an extremely Christian university for a semester (to the point where we literally had separate staircases/elevators for boys and girls, boys and girls weren't allowed to talk after 7 Pm, all masturbation was banned, being gay was banned, alcohol was banned etc.) so I'm quite used to these types of schools.

They're so harmful to literally everyone involved. The students live in fear of being caught doing things they aren't supposed to because of the harsh punishments, the teachers live in fear of being fired for misspeaking even a little bit in class in a way they aren't supposed to (had a science teacher get fired once for accidentally saying evolution makes more sense than creationism, a kid told a parent, the parent called the school to complain), and the parents live in fear of not being 'Christian enough' compared to the other parents which leads to a never-ending cycle of trying to one-up each other on how much of a perfect Christian they are.

With that said, I don't have a problem with her working there. It's a job. Parents should stop sending their children there and eventually the schools will close, all teachers not applying there does is cause the school to lower their teaching standards and hire any random bad teacher to fill their staff instead of the good ones, which only punishes the students for no reason by giving them a worse quality of education.

5. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in Nebraska, which isn't the most accepting place but I couldn't imagine not being allowed to take a class (or participate in a club, event, etc.) because I'm gay.
    This is crazy.

6. shasha1997

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what's surprising about a white republican wife of trump administration wanting to be show her alliance to her husband boss thinking?

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A teacher at a Catholic school near me just got fired for getting pregnant outside wedlock. She was told she could keep the job if she pretty much got married right then and there to her boyfriend. Obviously she didn't because that's none of their damn business. Currently parents and even the school board are fighting back against the Archdiocese for her and rumor has it one of the school board members even hired a lawyer for her.

What's even more messed up is that even if teachers aren't Catholic and they teach in Catholic schools (like said teacher), they're expected to follow Catholic standards.

I, personally, don't know why anyone would willingly teach at a Catholic school. They pay shit, the teachers are under intense scrutiny, the curriculum is messed up, and there's often intense restrictions on what can be taught. I mean, sure, some produce really smart kids...but also super indoctrinated kids, often.

Total sidenote: in my bio class sophomore year, a kid tried to get out of learning about evolution because he doesn't believe in it...yeah, that didn't work.
    I agree that it's a job, and cool that she's working but...when you're high profile, shit like this makes a point. I mean, we all know the Pences are anti-LGBT, but this helps solidify it. The vice president's wife working somewhere that is distinctly anti-LGBT puts a bad name on Pence then (not that he doesn't already have a bad name, he's not exactly well liked from my understanding).

It's shit like this that makes me look at LGBT individuals who voted for Trump and just want to say, "And you thought he loved us?"

8. smurf

This was orchestrated.

Pence just reacted saying:

""But I have to tell you, to see major news organisations attacking Christian education is deeply offensive to us."

For the last 2 years they have been framing the conversation to seem like "christian values" are being under attack by LGBT people. Its a conversation that most LGBT activist in the mainstream aren't ready to tackle either, so its working. They are trying to do what they did with race, which is use the bible to defend slavery.

Apparently, christian education means teaching gay kids are a sin. And apparently we must be "respectful" of such a belief and welcome "diversity" by allowing institutions to be anti-lgbt aka christian.

9. Gutterpunk

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can respect their beliefs, but i can't respect them forcing them on us, we don't make them be gay, so they shouldn't try to make us be straight.

10. Gutterpunk

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    also, an afterthought, I go to a nondenominational church, where I am out to everyone, and I don't really face any discrimination, I'm also not even the only one, I sit with a pan kid at youth group.