1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by creative, Jan 13, 2019.

1. creative

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live with my parents. I have recently come to terms with the fact I am gay. I am sure they will be accepting. Will telling them help me?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    creative.....Hello! We're glad that you have found us here on empty closets...welcome to a place where our wonderful LGBTQ Family can share and support each other. Telling your parents can be difficult...even if they are accepting, you are basically letting them know that the person they thought you were is not who you really are! Coming out can be wonderful and terrible. Occasionally at the same time! The most important two factors in deciding when to come out are: 1) Come out when YOU are ready. Don't let anyone push you into it if you are not at the place where coming out is right for you...not them. and... 2) Don't come out if there is a real chance that you will be in danger. That includes being kicked out of your house, having no way to support yourself, having all privileges (phone, computer, friends, etc.) taken away, being verbally or emotionally abused as well as the danger of physical abuse. Waiting can be very difficult, but your safety and emotional well-being are more important. At the same time, if your parents do accept your sexuality, then you will not have to hide the real you from them. Hiding in the closet is a difficult and exhausting experience that you would not have to deal with if they do accept you. You are the only one who can decide when to come out...but if you do think they will be accepting, your life will be so much easier being out to them as opposed to hiding who you really are. I hid my sexuality from everyone (including myself) for a very long time and the result was terrible. Depression, guilt, and self-hate almost destroyed me. If you truly feel they will accept you...go for it! Remember...you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Keep us updated on how things are going for you!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everything that Quebec said. It helps as long as it's safe to do so. I will just add that it is definitely very freeing and liberating to be yourself and live your truth rather than hiding. Not that we have to shout from rooftops that we're gay, but just being able to be ourselves without any guard up is a good feeling.