1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iceland

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alice89, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone.

So I’m going to Iceland for the first time in March and was wondering if anyone on EC has been or lives there and could give me some cool places to go and see and maybe some advice on what I should wear over there.

2. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had friends go. A couple things that they mentioned as amazing were Seeing the Aurora Borealis at night (Northern lights) and sitting in massive hotspring spas's overlooking the landscape (not sure where in Iceland those are located though)

On another note, why do you feel crappy? It sounds like you are about to go on an awesome vacation!

#2 TXTurbo90, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am planning on hopefully seeing the northern lights (fingers crossed) and I think the hot springs are on the to do list aswell but that one depends on if we have time i think. I’m really looking forward to it as I’m a bit of a Viking geek and I know there is some interesting Viking museums out there.

As for feeling crappy I always feel this way as I’m really struggling with my gender fluidity and finding it hard to find a release if that makes sense?

(Thank you for asking by the way)

4. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, the Nordic culture is fascinating to look at. Interesting fact: Even though it has been proven false, In the United States we are taught that Christopher Columbus was the first European to discover america, but in reality it was Norseman Leif Erikson. Amazing how learning history yourself can completely change your view of history.

I feel for you in your struggle, and if you ever need anyone to talk (or rant) to, throw a post on my wall. I'm about to upgrade to a full membership, so I won't be able to PM until then. While I've never dealt with gender fluidity, I am Demi/pansexual and am friends with a couple people who have gone through what you are right now, so I've gained some perspective into their minds and struggles.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interestingly enough, I actually jokingly looked up Iceland for one of my coworkers over the summer when she was mentioning farfetched places her son wanted to go (it was a slow day). From my recollection, the big things we found were the Northern Lights, hot springs, and seeing the architecture.
    Fun fact: I don't know how long you've been out of the public school system but the Columbus viewpoint is pushed a lot less given newer knowledge, a lot of educated Americans are actually very aware that it was Leif Erikson and the Vikings who got here before Columbus; it's even brought up in some children's lit, so it's not like that's just being taught to older students.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Iceland is awesome, it really looks like an entirely different planet in a lot of areas. There's nowhere I know of with more stunning natural beauty than there. Reykjavik is a pretty cool city too, with a very different lifestyle than most people are used to. These are not professional pictures, my friend took them a few months ago in Iceland.

49012433_1197023430453451_3147738585860407296_o.jpg 49153957_1197023380453456_6456604716666191872_o.jpg 45047274_1153349158154212_6549906163842940928_o.jpg 36427992_1049900961832366_2396603893040545792_n.jpg 37186870_1065608903594905_4274843067820802048_n.jpg

#6 Destin, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny that I actually know a surprising number of people who have gone to Iceland. I don't have anything to add to the list people have already come up with but the people I know who have been there were all oddly taken with it. I hope you have a great time!

As far as Leif Erikson it's not exactly a newly discovered thing. I'm 47 and attended public school in Utah--we were taught about him in junior high.

8. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did know that and like you I found that out after school. Thank you I’ll drop you a post :slight_smile:. I’m a full member so when you do because one too PM me

9. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow they are stunning photos thank you. I am going to Reykjavik

10. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome! Yeah, its been a dozen years or so since I was in grade school. I'm glad at least some school districts are teaching it. The reason i brought it up was it sparked a memory about preparing for a TAKS (state) test, and I had recently learned about Lief Erikson through a show on History. (When History channel was about history) I argued with her that she was wrong until I ended up in detention. Only later when talking with my parents at the counselors office did they explain she was right because that is what the Texas state testing said was the answer, not because that is accurate. I remember that day vividly as that was the day I began questioning the validity of everything being taught to me.

#10 TXTurbo90, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  11. whistle1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never been, but I hear there are tons of natural sites to enjoy - northern lights, hot springs, whale watching, glacier hiking, lagoons, waterfalls, fjords, etc. Their tourism board has a website. I think it's called Guide to Iceland...

12. Loves books

My uncle lives in Iceland and I remember hearing when I was younger that he had to leave home for a little while due to a volcano erupting. He has sent books with beautiful pictures of volcanoes. Depending on where you’re going in Iceland you can tour volcanoes.

13. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone know what the weather is like in March? Like I know it’s cold but is it so cold that I’ll need thermal clothes? Or will I be ok with a warm winter coat?

14. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's usually between 20 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit there around March. It's also oddly very sunny at the same time though.

15. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. That is cold lol ​

16. redplanet1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i've always wanted to see Iceland. hopefully, i get to go within the next couple of years!

17. redplanet1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hopefully this can help you a little...