1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Identity or Gender Expression?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CactiCat, Jan 7, 2019.

1. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, androgynous and genderqueer, are they expressions or identites?

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Androgynous can be used both as expression and identity, although it would be more gramatically correct to use androgyne, a noun for identity. Genderqueer is a gender identity.

Kodo likes this.
  3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed, androgynous/androgyny is a presentation, androgyne is a gender identity (the internal expression of androgyny - a mix of male and female). Genderqueer is a gender identity that I think of as "my gender is so far outside the box I can't find the box," though some people use genderqueer as a catch-all for being a non-binary gender.

Added: Bi-gender is not the same as androgyne. Androgyne is a blend, a mix. Agender is a lack of gender. Neutrois is a gender, but not defined within the traditional male-female spectrum of gender. Bi-gender is having two distinct genders, either at the same time or switching back and forth. Genderfluid is similar to bi-gender, but involves more gender identities, which can include man/boy, woman/girl, androgyne, neutrois, agender, genderqueer, etc.

MStream and CactiCat like this.
  4. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great summary, Cailan. (For instance, I don't often hear people who aren't bi-gender explain what it is so well.)