1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethical non monogamy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by searchin, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So. Let's say that I am jealous of my wife's relationship with her father (which was true). These emotions caused me to think about why I was jealous of this relationship and to examine what it was about that relationship that caused my jealousy. Once I figured that out, I was able to get to the bottom of what was bothering me and work on the root causes.

As far as me creating a situation that caused my wife to be jealous I can provide this example. I had an on line friend who was a mountain bike racer for six months. He finally came to visit and met me and my wife. My wife suggested I take him on OUR favorite bike trail. Which I did. A day later, that forest caught on fire. I was probably the last guy to ride that trail and I did it with a guy I got naked with at the end of the ride (it was hot but not that hot). My wife has expressed jealousy (as much as she ever does...she is not a jealous person) that I rode that trail with someone else. This caused me to recognize what is important to my wife. That we share experiences like this. So, I surprised her with season passes at an extreme ski mountain (she is an incredible skier and athlete). I told her she was the one I most enjoyed doing these things with more than any other person. I make sure I spend as much time as possible biking skiing and climbing with her to reinforce this.

I cannot imagine my wife's root cause of the jealousy in shame. But, I will defer to Chip's expert opinion on this. All I know is that me being aware that she was jealous helped me work on our relationship some more.

smurf likes this.
  2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Back to the subject of bisexuals and open marriages which was how this thread started.

Every relationship has some strong points and weak points. No two people can be 100% compatible and yet we fall in love and build relationships. And, every person changes throughout their lives.

In my case, my wife and I have had a wonderful love affair, partnership and friendship. But, somewhere in the last ten years my wife lost the ability to express passion. She just cannot feel this any longer. She admits that she is probably asexual at this point. And, if anything, my need for passion has increased. So, here we are with 90% going for us and this one thing that doesn't work any longer. Fortunately, I'm bisexual and I feel different things emotionally for different people. I can feel passion for a friend without feeling I need to pick out china. I can feel intense desire based on friendship. I just can. I can love my friends. Some platonically and some sexually. So, why shouldn't I do this? If this takes those relationships to a level of expression that includes intimacy is that a bad thing?

I seek out intimate friends that understand this and am honest and upfront about this from the first time I meet them. So far, it has been a wonderful experience and I am building lasting friendships that are based on common interests, care and, now, intimacy.

searchin and smurf like this.
  3. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You just explained the problems with my 36 year marriage. I know I can be intimidating, especially when you cross into my field of specialty. My wife, however, must have been ashamed of herself, as she was always jealous of me, and denied me access to normal socialization. I tolerated it to keep the peace, but can see I should have taken it farther for her benefit.

My brain will be churning on this for a while now.

smurf likes this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jealousy is inherently shame. Maybe it helps to know that everyone has shame (except for sociopaths and some of those on the autism spectrum.) And the more we have it... the less we own it and talk about it.

If we are complete in our worthiness (which almost no one is), then jealousy should not be present. If jealousy is present, it's coming from shame. That said, the more self-aware people are of their shame issues, the more they can understand and address it in real time or near-real time.

#44 Chip, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    OnTheHighway likes this.
  5. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd love to hear your take on the following:

"Insecurity Leads to Envy, Jealousy, and Shame"

Is shame the result of, or the root cause of jealousy? Or is basic insecurity the bottom denominator of all of these?

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So according to the research by Brené Brown, June Tangney, Ronda Dearing, and a number of others, insecurity is a byproduct of shame.

Think of it this way... shame is, according to Brené, 'the deeply held belief that we are not worthy of love and belonging". And from the research, we know that everyone has some shame (a byproduct of experiences we had growing up), and the less we talk about it, the more we have it.

So if, fundamentally, there is a part of you that believes you aren't worthy of love and belonging, then that's going to manifest and reflect in many parts of your being. Keep in mind... except for those of us who have done some real work to explore this, shame is often very deep in our unconscious and manifests in actions, beliefs, and behaviors... judgment of others, fears that our partners will leave us for others (which is where jealousy comes in), fear that we're a fraud, that if someone knew the truth, that they wouldn't like us / wouldn't hire us / wouldn't love us etc. And so I think, viewing that, you can see where the insecurity comes from. It's a manifestation of the underlying shame, not the reverse.

The really interesting thing about shame is that it is really the root of just about everything, and from Gabor Maté's amazing work, we also know that shame also has a neurochemical component: When we perceive, early in childhood, that our caregiving parents can't be there for us (because they're stressed, depressed, anxious, busy, wrapped up in shame themselves, or something else), then the normal neural pathway development of various neurotransmitters don't develop, because those pathways fire and develop based on our connection and feeling the love of others. Later in life, this manifests in many different ways... in extreme cases, in addiction, delinquency, relationship failures, and even the development of many diseases. This isn't to say that early childhood attachment failures directly cause all of these things, but, at least according to some pretty solid research by many different people, published in the most respected, peer reviewed medical and psychology journals, it contributes in a major way.

The good news is, we can repattern what we didn't get in childhood, rebuild those neural pathways, and that, in turn, changes our outlook. We used to believe that brain development stopped in our 20s. We now know this isn't the case, and it is possible throughout life.

weary, Lone Wolfe and OnTheHighway like this.
  7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This has been very educational for me. I think I have associated jealousy with envy and they are not really the same thing at all. I guess I rarely feel jealousy as this has been described and neither does my wife. At least often. Maybe this is why my situation works?

I am going to be even more careful with the guys I'm with. I want to be sure I'm not choosing guys that are with me because they feel unworthy of having a monogamous relationship of their own.

If shame and jealousy are so much more common in the gay community, this should be a real concern for me.

8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Back on subject. I discussed open relationships with my wife in the last couple of days. One thing that we agreed was that we could never have tolerated an open relationship early in our marriage. In our case, it took some years before we had the trust in each other and the confidence in our relationship that we could have an open relationship.

So, perhaps some of the examples given here of failed open relationships is because the relationship was opened before it was "seasoned" enough?

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is right on the mark according to Dr. Joe Kort's 25+ years of clinical experience with LGBT couples. He has found that in general, open relationships tend not to work if the relationship is opened up before the 5 year anniversary mark. Of course, there are exceptions to that, and there are also relationships that are dysfunctionally functional, with little genuine emotional intimacy, that can probably handle non-monogamy earlier.

10. searchin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am still very much physical with him, in fact, it has gotten better now that some of my walls are down. :slight_smile: In fact, since I last posted on here, it seems that this thread exploded. Anyway, we are laying ground rules that both parties would have to agree to, which includes things like me only seeing other women and how he desires to stay mono and I respect this. He wants me to feel a connection to her first and to be honest about how I'm married and discuss things like STD testing if things move in that direction. His huge thing is "I just don't want you spending more time with them, then me." I agree to this. We also agree not spending the night and sexual activities are not allowed in our bedroom with another person because that crosses our marital boundaries. It has gone as far as him sitting next to me watching me fill out out an ####### dating profile for non-monogamy just for me. I have messaged some women, told them about things and keep him posted. He just wants me to be comfortable, be my authentic self and always communicate. I also began the HPV shot series, to protect him and me in the event things turn sexual with another woman.

11. smurf

Seems like its going well for you guys :slight_smile:

Be careful with this. There is something we call "new relationship energy" which is that almost high feeling you get when a new relationship is forming. The chemicals in your body go a bit bonkers and it seems you are always thinking about that new person, texting them, hanging out with them etc. People in long term mono relationships can be caught off-guard by how powerful it can be.

On top of it all, I would also talk to your partner about "check ins". Some couples plan them, but for my husband we check in with each other every so often to see how we are feeling, if we want to change something, if we want the other person to keep an eye out on something etc. It makes it so the conversations of "I want you to spend less time with x" feels less confrontational.

searchin likes this.