1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to look more androgynous

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CactiCat, Jan 7, 2019.

1. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I want to look more androgynous. I know that for sure. First question. How can I do that? It’s kinda a broad question but where do I start. I already look moderately androgynous. Second question. What about my parents? I kinda want to try binding and see if that makes me more comfortable. I also would much rather shop in the men’s section. But I’m concerned my parents might make assumptions that I want to be a boy, which I don’t. Also, I’m very skinny and nothing fits me properly. How can I get past this? I’m mainly concerned about my parents.

2. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    H&M has a section of clothes "for elegant/professional women" with a lot of suits, button ups and the like. And, recently, I saw a tomboy's section xD with flanels. I know ties for women exist - they're narrower and smaller. That way others would eventually suspect less "oh wants to be a boy" and the clothes will fit your thin body - while from the men's section they could be too large on the shoulders. The secret not to appear a scarecrow when you're thin, is to wear narrow things. For ex I have a thin gender neutral wristwatch; men's wristwatches are cool, but my arm with them would look like a stick.

Mihael and CactiCat like this.
  3. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    White makes something look larger, black narrower. Vertical lines narrow. You could use those optical illusions to make your figure appear more androgynous. "Boring" colors like black, white, grey, brown, blue look more masculine.

Mihael and CactiCat like this.
  4. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what type your parents are, but, in my experience, transgenderness is the last thing people suspect about. They think everything, from tomboy to rebel to lesbian, but "trans" is the last one, even if someone avoids pools and beaches like a cat avoids water, binds their chest and uses a masculine or neutral name. xD
    On New Year's night, I had *a suit*, short hair; I looked like a crossdressing lesbian of the old times (beginning of XX century?), or a young guy, who knows. People likely thought: "lesbian". I also ended up dancing in a group of lesbians xD

CactiCat likes this.
  5. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I’ll look into it!

6. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah true, but my dad is trans so my parents know a lot on the subject. I think they are suspicious, but maybe I’m wrong. I have come out as pan, so maybe they would just assume that.

7. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was looking around online, and I can’t seem to find any ties. Well, I could find scarf like things, but not ties. What can I search to maybe find some?

8. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I find that parents usually don't go straight from "kid wants to buy 'mens' clothes" to "kid wants to be a man." As for sizing, I personally like to get clothing out of the boys' section. I find those clothes fit better than those in the "men's" section. That said, I am a pretty small person, so that might not work for you.

CactiCat likes this.
  9. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could try boys' section if mens' clothes are too big for you.

If your parents ask or assume something about your gender you can just say that there is nothing deeper going on. Many women just like mens's clothing more. At least we get decent pockets and the materials are generally sturdier.

Be careful with binding though! It can cause permanent damage to your breast tissue and skin (that doesn't look pretty). You could have issues with your back and your neck, trouble breathing properly and it's just uncomfortable and painful. If you are small chested just try two sports bras. Never do it with ace bandages or tape.

CactiCat likes this.
  10. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wom...wKHWF0DlMQ_AUIBigB#mhpiv=11&spf=1546913712749
    (Ignore the model being feminine)
    See how the tie is narrower?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wom...4GQBw&start=0&sa=N#mhpiv=17&spf=1546913817504
    This is likely from men's section but is not too large.

Oh, ties with a finer texture (the tissue is tied tighter because narrower threads allow it) can be tied with different kids of knots without looking too large.

I hope I explained, my lexicon is meh.

11. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Italy I know a chain of shops (Nara Camicie) that sell mostly elegant button ups, women's on one side, men's on the other (but I wouldn't care about the division, if I went shopping there :wink: ). They sell also the ties I'm talking about. I don't know if there's a similar chain where you live. I also know a chain of "dandy elegant clothes for men", but it's expensive (Dan John); at least, I think it's a british brand or something, so it doesn't exist only in Italy.

#12 Crisalide, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    CactiCat likes this.
  13. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly, where I live, there is almost nothing. We have to travel to the next state to find anything good. But, there is online shopping.

14. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have thought about that. The shirts will probably fit.

15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do a lot of pushups regularily and are young, your shoulders can grow wider down to the bones. If that if your concern of course. I was pear shaped and I disliked it in very normal terms, It made me feel fat and like an incubator.

I second buying things that look like men's but are made for women. That halps a lot when you struggle to fit the clothes or find the right size.

#15 Mihael, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    CactiCat likes this.