1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mary Poppins Returns

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dionysios, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just returned from watching Mary Poppins Returns. I found it a charming film and very delightful to watch. One song intrigued me. It was "You should Never Judge a Book by it's Cover." Part of the lyric included the phrase "You should never try to be the person you are not." That reminded me of myself and so many other LGBT people who have struggled to come out of the closet. We've spent so much time and energy pretending to be someone we are not. It's so much simpler and healthier to be ourselves. I left the film on an upbeat note with that in mind! *smile*

2. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree! I just watched the movie yesterday and thought similar things.
    I was worried that, with the rating that they gave it on rotten tomatoes, that it was going to be a sloppy re-creation. But, I was pleasantly surprised!
    I really liked that song too.
    As soon as I walked out of the theater, I downloaded the soundtrack on my phone. I found it quite charming. Lin-Manuel Miranda always does a good job.

3. Loves books

I thought the movie was terrible and just a worse remake of the first. It’s the same story with a bitchier Mary Poppins. In this day and age you would think you could out do a movie made 54 years ago but it fell short. We all know Mary Poppins but in 54 years no one will remember Mary Poppins returns.

4. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was hoping that Julie Andrews(the original Mary Poppins) would make some sort of a cameo, I mean as some minor character like a maid or something. I mean Dick Van Dyke, he played a minor role from what I read. And Dick is over 90+ years old. Julie is about in her mid 70s now, she was in her mid 20s when she did Mary Poppins.

5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I quit agree! Lin-Manuel Miranda is a fabulous actor (also had a spot on British accent). So enjoyed his singing!

6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's too bad. The first film (which I saw with my family when it first came out) was also quite charming. Julie Andrews did a wonderful job and the songs by the Sherman Brothers were top notch. However Dick Van Dyke had a horrible English accent and the scenery appeared very fake. Still thought MP Returns was a happy and enjoyable film however.

7. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I read, the producers toyed with the idea of asking Julie Andrews to appear in a camero role. However Julie Andrews declined, not wanting to take the spotlight from Emily Blunt. That was very gracious of Julie Andrews.

8. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took my kids yesterday afternoon to the new cinema in Bedford, UK, I was sceptical BUT thoroughly enjoyed it and the kids did too.....a nice afternoon out.....popular too...

9. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At first I wasn't sure why she turned it down, I thought maybe she had failing health or something till I read something about it. Would it been better if they had some sort of tribute to her. Would it been cheap if they had Julie to been a maid, or supportng character. I mean Dick Van Dyke played a supporting character

10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a point. It would have been fun to see her. I did wonder why Glynis Johns (who played the mother in the first movie) was not given a cameo in the sequel. She is still alive from what I heard.

11. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe Glynis is in failing health or something. I mean Dick Van Dyke did pretty well for a guy in his 90s, I assume he has good health for a 90+ year old man.

12. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about the health of Glynis Johns. Perhaps she was too frail to participate. I didn't realize at the time that Karen Dotrice (Jane Banks from the original Mary Poppins) had a cameo in the sequel. She played a lady on Cherry Tree Lane. Will have to watch it again to see her part.

13. TravelMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watched it a few weeks ago. I wasn't a big fan of the plot (perhaps because I'm more into comedies and action films), but the visuals and songs really lifted my experience--I found myself fairly upbeat leaving the theater. Like a few others, I was expecting Julie Andrews to make a cameo.

Agreed, Lin-Manuel Miranda did a fantastic job. I hadn't heard of him before, so I'll definitely be checking out other films/series he's been in.

14. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lin Manuel-Miranda wrote the musical "Hamilton" and wrote some songs for "Moana." If you go to the soundtrack, you can find some versions of the songs with him singing them.

Those are the two main things that I know.

15. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to barge in but Lin-Manuel is a freaking genius. He did write and star in Hamilton and write music for Moana. He also wrote and starred in a Broadway show called In The Heights based off of his experience growing up in Washington Heights. He's mostly a lyricist and playwright but you can find some movies, TV shows and plays he's been in. In addition, I heard he is helping to direct the movie of In The Heights.

#15 illbehere, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019