1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ellen Degeneres & Kevin Hart

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dionysios, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There seems to be a backlash against Ellen Degeneres over her recent comments supporting Kevin Hart. While I don't condone Hart's homophobic words, he has apologized. I believe in the power of forgiveness. People change (hopefully for the better) and it would be harsh to judge people by what they may have said earlier in their life. What do you think?

2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m disappointed in the whole situation. I hadn’t been aware of the statements or tweets till they resurfaced. It was a bit triggering since my dad is Kevin Hart! He’s said those things when I was a kid and since coming out has made several comments about having physical altercations to “teach” me to be a man! What’s frustrating is his response was to blame everyone else, blame them for the negativity that was in his words. Then do another video saying the Academy said “apology or we will have to move on to another host” and he said move on. Because he’d apologized and wasn’t going to again. Problem is he hadn’t! I looked everywhere and he says he addressed it in an interview with rolling stone in 2015. That’s not an apology. He even said in that piece he couldn’t make those jokes anymore because the times are too sensitive. So he wants to but can’t because people are too sensitive? No change! 8 hours after his video of saying how he isn’t giving in to a demand to make another apology he doesn’t feel he owes since he’s changed and addressed it, he tweets a generic “sincerely” apology? That’s not an apology! Now he goes on Ellen and they again blame those who’ve been hurt by his statements and want a truthful response from him. I’d rather him say, “yea this is how I feel, I’m trying not to but I’m not there!” He should spend sometime with the LGBTQ+ Youth in LA who’s parents feel the same way as him and have kicked their kids out. Kids who are now homeless and living on the street! Maybe a little less time playing victim and little more time and effort into self education would help him see the impact of his past actions and his current ones!

And I’m extremely disappointed in Ellen! She has made the decision to endorse this behavior! It’s sad because she’s lost credibility when it comes to the LGBTQ+ persecution we are facing in politics and society! She can’t pick and choose who gets free passes... and that’s what she wants is Hart to get a free pass... something he hadn’t earned!

3. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. Ellen tore down Caitlin Jenner coz of her views of marriage. But she said she is learning and her words were misinterpreted. Still Ellen gave her a hard time.
    But with Kevin ( why does he have the same surname as the lovely and magnificent Harry Hart) it’s like: it’s fine buddy, no hard feelings but don’t do it again.
    Like seriously?

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How is apologizing...not apologizing? Like, yes it's Twitter but if someone apologizes...they're apologizing. I also watched the actual interview and you could see that he's remorseful over the situation.

Here's the thing: people change. These tweets are from 2010-2011? They got found in 2018. Do you realize how many people out there tweeted things years ago that they may no longer agree with? Hell, in 2010, I thought I was into girls still. We're not talking about tweets from a few months or even a year before they were found...7-8 years later. And yes, it's easy to search key words into Twitter to find specific things, but people change!

Let me put this into another perspective: do you think it's fair when a teacher applicant gets judged because they have pictures of them drinking in college and possibly not get hired because of that? Because it's...(1) something they did years ago, (2) something they no longer do or agree with, and (3) disallowing someone from a job based on something only from years ago.

Here's the thing, I have no strong feelings towards the man. I think he's funny, but I don't go out of my way to watch his comedy, I don't care, I'm simply providing another perspective. How many times does someone have to apologize? There's also the fact that he turned down the Academy and...didn't really care. They said, keep apologizing, and he said, he already did. He turned the down and moved on, but people haven't let this go.
    Ellen, as wonderful as she is, is not the spokesperson for the LGBTQ community. She also has friends, Hart being one of them. God forbid she think that this person who she considers a friend and does not believe is homophobic should be allowed an opportunity he would be good at and was asked to do.

Also, not all LGBT people have to believe the same way, so I don't get the hate on Ellen right now. It's like when I eat Chick-fil-a at school and suddenly I'm apparently a bad gay.

#4 Chierro, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  5. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1st it’s my personal views most apologies are just the person saving face. It lacks the honest aspect behind! We toss around the words I’m sorry because we know that’s a way to end the issue and move one without actually considering it. Personally I don’t apologize that often (in relation to others) and when I do there is no question on my feeling behind it.

2nd anytime a person who is apologizing is more focused on how they’ve been affected or viewed due to there actions, it clearly shows they haven’t grasped what their actions have done to others. If they had and were remorseful they would be more concerned with making it right with them rather than trying to prove their innocence.

3rd anytime apologies don’t include words like I am sorry and do include words like if/but that’s not an apology. If you apology for people being offended tethering than your actions of offense again not an apology.

I know not all these fit each of his statements/interviews just my views on apologies in general. Again, he was very self righteous in his I’m not going back and apologizing video so I’m gonna have to pass on the oscars if that’s what they want... to then 8 hours later typing a statement of apology... it doesn’t make sense!

With Ellen and the friend thing, it’s hypocritical. You can’t give friends a pass while holding others to higher standers. You should expect your friends and those in your circle to live by the same standards (if not better) than those who don’t!

I don’t have anything against Kevin Hart. He screwed up and could not step up and own his mistake. He couldn’t get out of his own way. Hopefully he will make an effort to do so.

It’s really time to start putting action behind apologies. It’s not enough when there’s been a pattern of behavior to say well I don’t do that anymore. Especially when you said recently you still want to. Spend some time volunteering like I said with LGBTQ+ youth to see what those thoughts do and the damage they cause...

6. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If you’ve not seen Don Lemon discuss the issue take the 10 minutes when you get a chance. He did a great job addressing it fully!

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am yet to be aware of Kevin Hart's apology before 2018. I watched the interview with Ellen and it was all about him playing the victim. The worst part was when he said he apologized "if my words offended you." I don't believe he has changed or else it wouldn't matter how many times he has had to apologize.

He could have offered a simple apology and kept the job to host the Oscars but because of his arrogance, selfishness and lack of awareness he lost out. How many kids could have killed themselves because of his statement? Has he considered that? No, all he cares about is making more money and being a self righteous hypocrite.

It's so sad seeing him manipulate Ellen like that because what he did was take advantage of her and that is a huge shame. If anything I feel sorry for Ellen who lost her job in 1997 because she came out as a lesbian. Kevin Hart threw away an amazing opportunity because he is arrogant and that's what it all boils down to.

#7 KyleD, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonder if NBC played a part in it or nah?