1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really need help when it comes to self care.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CactiCat, Jan 2, 2019.

1. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently came to the realization that my self care is completely garbage. I never eat healthy, wear the same clothes multiple days in a row, and never take time to let out some stress. The amount of stress I have from school is actually causing painful nerve problems in my limbs. So basically, what can I do? I’ve tried to start washing my face, but honestly that’s a little difficult. Where do I start? Why is this so hard?

2. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, self care is a problem for me. So, idk how to quite give advice in this area. I'll try though.

I suppose that one way to self care is to do something that makes you happy. For instance, when I take time to read a book, it helps me decompress. I'd recommend finding a hobby that you can do that isn't time-consuming. Either that or find time for that hobby if it is time-consuming.

CactiCat likes this.
  3. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hmmmm ive tried loads of stuff...what i recommend is to start small but whatever you choose to ackoledge whilst you are doing it that "you are doing something good for you". this could be absolutely anything really (ie. brushing your teeth instead of going straight to bed, having a hot shower before going to bed, taking yourself our to the cinema, lunch etc. when you are feeling like you need to get out, calling a friend to meet up just cuz you feel like socializing...etc.)

it can really be anything that means that you are listening to yourself. for me it helps to picture how i would treat my yourger self or what i would do for me if i was my own daughter...everyones concept of easy and difficult is different so just start with what you consider "easy" for you to acheive and build your confidence from there. i wish you the best of luck and im confident you will find your way :slight_smile::slight_smile:

CactiCat likes this.
  4. LittleLamb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Things like washing your face, making your bed, even cooking a simple meal can be forms of self-care.
    I mean I do all these things but I also do things like:
    - watch my favorite sitcom, even if I've seen the episode 10x, sometimes you need a good laugh.
    - watch YouTube videos, I watch dance videos, cooking videos, thrift hauls, Dollar Tree videos. Other people might like animal or baby videos.
    - do word finds or color in an adult coloring book, btw, you can color in a regular book I've just read that adult coloring books are good for your brain and memory loss, Dementia and Alzheimer's run in my family that why I do them.

Other people might recommend: taking a long bath, exercising, reading.
    You could even do something like buy a nice smelling candle, light it and relax in your room.

CactiCat likes this.