1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for surgery

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Molko, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s actually sinking in now, I think after almost a decade of binding and the ups and downs etc it’s like i expected something to go wrong so didn’t let myself celebrate. I’m getting top surgery in six days. It feels so surreal to know that they will be finally gone. I feel really unusual while I’m writing this. So, i have to get real now and practical - I haven’t really allowed myself to think about it but now it’s time to prepare. Between pinching myself to keep checking i’m not dreaming.

To everyone, i’m open to any advice for preparing for surgery/recovering from. I live in a working house, my housemates aren’t really about and I cant really ask them for much support. So i’m Treating this as being on my own for healing. From what ive read i cant lift anything really. I haven’t taken into account feeling unwell. I dont think ive really prepared aside from booking a bnb for the week after surgery. Also ive booked time off work.

So are there any tips and advice for recovering from top surgery/operations? Anything you wish you would have done/advice planning it? Is it worth taking pics/videos? Vlogging? What kind of food is good? Will I have to stay in bed for ages? Even anime suggestions to download - makeing an epic recovery den etc!

I wont have people there to support me after the first week so i need to do everything i can now so I’m as independent as i can be post-op.

Yeah see I’m mega unprepared - Ive admittedly not seriously prepared because I didn’t think i’d Ever get here. Was just waiting for the plug to get pulled. Tbh even now i feel like maybe someone’s playing a joke on me and ill get there and they will go ‘sorry, you cant come in.’

#1 Molko, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Verklighet likes this.
  2. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I went through it too. You can write to me if you feel like it before and post surgery. I know how scary it is and what it is like to survive alone afterwards. It wasn't easy to get anyone to take me home from the hospital. I told the nurses I had a ride home although I didn't.

I can tell you that if you are even somewhat flexible you will learn to use your feet a lot. Your upper body might be out of order but you still got your lower half. You are not helpless. I live alone and don't have people too close to me so I had to survive alone. I wasn't in much pain and I could use my legs. I tried to avoid doing too much but sometimes I had to (groceries). It didn't hurt though.

I wasn't prepared either since I since I thought I would die. I didn't expect to survive the surgery. I was really happy when I woke up. I couldn't believe I was alive. I don't know why I thought I would die but I just did.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the person as to how quickly they heal but I was up and about just an hour or so after surgery. Day two was my hardest day but things started improving and I was back at work after 3 weeks but some people take a lot longer to get back.

Some tips would be making sure everything you need is at waist height/below waist height before you leave so that it's easily accessible.

Take a pillow with you to put underneath your seatbelt for the ride home because that was one of the most painful parts.

Try to prep some food and leave it in the freezer before you leave, easy meals, so that you don't have to cook for a few days/week.

Baggy joggers and slip on shoes are helpful for leaving the hospital in as well as lots of button ups that are a few sizes too big to slip in to with ease.

Wet wipes/dry shampoo can really help mentally when you're feeling grim the first few days/week when you're not allowed to shower.

Long straws can be helpful to drink from as you may feel quite weak for a few days.

When you're in bed laying on your back can become extremely uncomfortable so try putting pillows either side of you/behind you to prop yourself up and one under your knees. If/when you feel okay laying on your side I found that putting one pillow under your waist really helped keep your body straight and slightly elevated your chest from touching the bed but it's all trial and error as to what is more comfortable for you.

My biggest tip would be, be prepared for feeling bloated and do things to prevent it. Surgery itself wasn't all that painful for me but the bloated feeling for five or so days post op was agony. Get yourself prune juice, sennacot, etc. beforehand, anything to help you go to the loo. It's grim but everyone seems to underestimate how much pain comes with feeling bloated cause of the anaesthetic.

Also keep yourself busy. Another extremely hard thing about surgery for me was sitting at home all day. I was going out of my mind and it out me in a big slump hence going back to work earlier than recommended as sitting around 'recovering' was greatly affecting my mental health. Grab yourself books to read, puzzles, have friends to facetime/visit, movies to watch. Just make sure that there are a multitude of distractions and things to keep your mind active to pass the day by.

Finally, don't so too much too quickly. You'll regret it. Even if you feel okay just try to rest and give your body time to heal. Try to prevent lifting your arms above your head as it could cause your scars to stretch. Think that's most things I've got, if you have any questions then feel free to drop me a message. Good luck! Youve got this. The feeling when you wake up is absolutely amazing. My first memory was waking up in recovery, seeing some of the nurses that helped and just repeatedly thanking them haha. It'll all be worth it when youre recovered and never have to touch a binder again.

#3 Aberrance, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  4. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apologies for my late response, been a whirlwind week and finally back home now recovering. Thanks so much for the advice, i used it as a check list the morning i packed up/mini paniced and it was really helpful like getting the dry shampoo and the pillow etc hadn’t even thought of those things. Packed the button up shirts, joggers and slip on shoes which were ideal. Felt really prepared where my brain was an overwhelmed mush.

So yeah, everything went well, just trying to take it easy now - already struggling with not overdoing it and had a couple of yelping moments. It wasnt till yesterday and i saw skin that it started to skink in, woke up convinced it was all a trick somehow! Funny how the brain works. Thanks so much again! Proper happy here.