1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ole’ Mileage yet, Please, Do not pass me by

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by hemcot4, Dec 30, 2018.

1. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Living here in the Southeastern portion of the U.S., looking outside into the fog and slight mist as it is dark hoping and seeking more than daydreams of someone ( or more) to come from the top of the hill to be a genuine lifelong friend. A lifelong friend /or/ a few male best friends. If I do not sound so greedy. Some true and real friends in which I know takes awhile to make but, in which I fervently desire to have in my life.
    Even would like to have some female friends, too!
    Ever since a few months before my mother passed away, I’ve had been longing for years and years for some great friends and a couple best friends.
    Where I can also love, hangout, regularly correspond, share things or be uncomfortably transparent with and support ( not financially) besides them doing this for me.
    Have had a lot of acquaintance type friendships along with both so-called friends and relatives whom left me after I finally accepted myself as a gay man a few years ago. Resulting in me feeling even more alienated, overlooked, in another form of isolation and reclusiveness. I was not out as I was hiding due to the fact that I was afraid of being disowned and homeless, for over 37 years. Was even afraid other kinds of bullying would be like what I had experienced for over 9 1/2 years ( in grade school, Junior High and High School) and in church as well as within my family.
    Even went to conversion therapy in this ministry for over 40 weeks that was not helpful, too costly, brainwashed me ( or being mislead a lot ) and damaging me. Leaving me with no support and made friends disappear faster than evaporation.
    Hurt me yet, i’d survived and took awhile to move forth again. Although I still longed for support and friendships besides one day, perhaps even love.
    Came here on this site to find at least a few friends and a best friend. As I am doing my best to look for some friendships closer to where I live but, I may have to continue to find some outside this state.
    Will be glad to even get some messages on here besides making newfound friends.
    My apologies, for being nervous on here.
    Am a real male in my early 50’s and hoping
    that things will change and next year will be better in a more positive way!
    Hugs!

PaulKM and Lone Wolfe like this.
  2. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am in the same situation, and older gay male, very few people I would call friend, looking for more. Part of getting older is watching all the people you know die off. My immediate family I have not spoken to for 40 years. I don't think any of my extended family (aunts/uncles/cousins) have any idea of my whereabouts. My mom died in 2005 with no one giving notification to me of her death. I'm ok with that because my family was truly fu*ked up and did not do anything positive in my life. I was out to my wife before getting married, so no lies there. After 36 years, she simply moved out. My son helped her move, and I have not heard from either of them for the past 4 years. I had to take myself back to when I was single and on my own, as I was happy then. I can't tell you why, but with all the rejection, I'm still quite satisfied with myself. I have a satisfying career that gives me tons of appreciation from others. I would love to have a friend to share jokes with, share holidays with etc. Fortunately, I'm too busy to get depressed, and will need to clear some time to do some meetups or outings to get myself out there. I focus on what works for me, and lots of things work just fine. I think the only thing I need at this point are some new friends I can share feelings with who won't run away.
    See, you are not alone.

bluehorizon likes this.
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry both of you don't have a special male friend in your life. I think this can be a function of being gay. Men need other men for simple companionship. A lot of straight guys have a problem developing and maintaining these relationships and it is harder for gay men.

I met a younger man...early thirties...to hook up with, a couple weeks ago. He's very lonely and has only had one straight male friend in his life. So, where he now lives...in a conservative rural town...he hasn't connected with anyone.

In the short time I've known him, we are spending a lot of time together and have a whole list of things to do for the next few months regardless of us maintaining a sexual relationship.

I think I need this too. I have a lot of straight friends but none I can really be myself with. It's important.

I'm not sure how to advice you guys finding this. I'm pretty outgoing and initially bond with people quickly (at least as an adult) so that helps. But, I know how the loneliness can feel.

4. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    -> I'm not sure how to advice you guys finding this. I'm pretty outgoing and initially bond with people quickly (at least as an adult)
    -> so that helps. But, I know how the loneliness can feel.

My mistake if I led you to think I was lonely. I'm not. I'm so darned busy in my work that I don't have time for a boyfriend right now. It would be nice to have a person I could discuss gay topics with, but for the time being EC is filling that need. I keep two underaged females locked up at home. They are great company for me. Still, nobody to hang out with away from home, and no friends with benefits.

I want to change that, and am more looking for plain old friends. People I like hanging around with and can say things to that can't be said to red neck straight friends. My current associations are either professional ones, or people who just plain don't want to hear about such things. I don't rub it in anybody's face.

5. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Happy New Year! Thank You, for taking the time to respond back to me!
    Highly agree with you about what you’d wrote and said to me that men need men for simple companionship. Been told by family, church and so-called former friends that I didn’t need this in my life for numerous years. Got tired of them all saying this to me as I’d grown up. Mostly I learned that they were so wrong.
    Hungered for great friends and for male friendships my age or ones whom were slightly younger than me.
    And it is very difficult to maintaining this and even looking out my windows to dream such a thing as nothing develops.
    Although there’s hope!
    You would be a great friend for others to have and I would also like to have, over time. I need to bond with someone such as you in my life!
    Loneliness does really hurt. Hoping this will be a thing of the past, over time! With even baby steps!
    Would you like to have another great friend?

6. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lone wolf, if you desire, how about us becoming friends?

7. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It would help if you told me how you two met.

8. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely. I’d like to give you my email, but I don’t think that is allowed. How do we go about doing this - through or around this site?

9. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We met on a hookup app. Neither of us were looking for a quick hookup. In our area, it's about the only way to meet other gay or bisexuals.

What we both learned pretty quickly is that it is the non-intimate needs we both have that are driving our developing friendship.

I'm always up for another friend. But, the point of EC is that we can discuss and learn without the added complexity of off board contact.

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. I, too, have so many friends that I don't have time for them and a wife who I adore.

But, I still feel lonely often because I know there are not very many men out there who are like me. I can bond with straight guys and have a close relationship but there is always a part of me I cannot share.

I have two gay brothers. Neither one has a close male friend who is not a lover. Because it is so hard for them to bond with straight guys and hard to find "just friends" in the limited population of gay men.

11. Lone Wolfe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Big sigh... these are problematic for me as I have (deliberately) zero social media presence. I am still in a place where I am not willing to go down the public road, and apps aren’t going to work for me if I don’t. I like to think I know too much about the back side of social media to ever get involved in it myself. Thanks for the answer, it adds one more vote for apps. I need to come up with a private way to engage with apps.

12. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good morning to you, over yonder! There’s always yodeling yet, if there’s gusty winds or breezes that come and go along with jets a flying, it will be interrupted. Bummer! There are flares yet, we need to squint a lot to see them. Shucks, darn sakes alive!
    There’s smoke signals yet, factories and people burning Autumn leaves will intervene in a way we weren’t longing for. Phooey gooey chocolate chip cookie :frowning2:
    So, we could peck at keys on our devices as we mimic chickadees eat there delicate fancy food. This will be suffice for awhile besides being alright with ancient gnomes whom also like to chat-up-a-storm.
    If you do not mind till we become more than better acquainted. Alright?
    I’ll be willing to correspond on here somehow. As these new days of this new year that is given to each of us that will fade ever so delicately into this new chapter and into History.

13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, apps have become the way that gay men meet in a lot of rural and conservative areas. There are some definite problems with them. And, sex becomes the number one reason guys are on them even if that isn't why they're seeking contact with other men.

I tried meetup groups and attended Pride a couple times. But, didn't have much luck without using the apps too.

14. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nick, within the past few years, i’ve tried numerous apps /or/ sites for finding only gay, bisexual and even straight male friends . Have had quite a few experiences that, over time, unfolded into negative experiences and high hopes that shattered into granulated and finely grated pieces. All which was unforeseen. Either ask for money to keep our friendship ( or more) a thriving and well or if I could send them any female from here ; do not get me wrong, I refused in giving them half of a penny. And I firmly believe any lady of any age absolutely should not be treated this way! They need to be treated with respect and love.
    Several men even said that they were from here in the State I live in or live in the States and they were in Africa or other.
    Some have asked me for sex. Which I did not want till after I got to know them well.
    There was a couple of guys on apps that actually was females posing as a gay male. Ugh!
    I reported them all to the authorities and to the site or person in charge of the apps.
    Even tried a meetup group that was in this county in this state where I dwelleth and it was fun. Till recently this group folded up.
    Hoped that in this college that I am attending and is my first time in college, would have a LBGTAQ group and they do not. Hope this will come into reality for others as well as this college in this conservative area before I even come close to graduating. Yet, feeling overwhelmed and an outsider makes me lost.

15. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would love to be friends with you Nickw and Lonewolf as well as others on here whom also like to become lifelong friends with me! Shoot, if anyone would like I am willing to even adopt you as my extended family! If this sounds good.

16. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel your pain. Fortunately one of the strengths of Empty Closets is that provides a forum to be yourself and interact with others in a safe, supportive enviroment. Last month, after I came out to my wife, I had absolutely no one to talk to. I was very closeted. I found EC and have been able to vent about my struggles and receive encouragement. While I have begun to come out to others, EC remains a comforting forum to visit. The next step for me is to find some lical LGBT groups. I also live in the south, so these groups are rather sparse. I think we all need face to face forums to meet and bond. Loneliness is a terrible feeling. I'm prepared to drive a long distance to achieve that. Once I move out, I may try some of these dating apps. But will go slowly. We all need patience and hopefully in time we will all make real friends and/or find partners to love.*smile*

hemcot4 likes this.
  17. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Patience is like a subject that is required even though it is learned after umpteenth years that would make one younger. Without purchasing the men’s anti-wrinkle cream being thought about or getting on sale.
    A partner would be delightful. Peaking around for one along of remembering where I happen to misplace my megaphone to proclaim , “ I am looking!”
    (As I now whisper to a few, “ Anyone single? “ I am ready)
    Have been wanting to be myself all the while of learning to Love myself more since I came out.
    More than thrilled that I’ve found E.C. ! To this I like to even add the ones whom have responded back to me and made me happier than I have been! Invite you all and future ones to also to not hesitate to write more to me as I would love for our friendship to grow more day to day! Plus, years to come! Hugs and Smiles!

Dionysios likes this.
  18. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank You also for the others whom have recently wrote! :wink:

Dionysios likes this.
  19. hemcot4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Catching my breath, loving our cat/ my great friend, glancing out some sheer curtains into the woods beyond a couple of my neighbor’s homes, enjoying some cold draft coffee, breaking down at times for the last two hours as I long to surround myself with a friend to communicate with in some form. Or, even three or four ( if possible).
    Although here where I pace none are yet found where I live I’ll look to here on E.C. . To surround myself with besides lean on. If you all do not mind.
    Not trying to paint anyone the incorrect painting of me to chase anyone of you away. Nor, abstract myself in any way as I am down, lonely and scared. As I do not want to loose any of you or any support in any way, shape or form.
    Hard to shred or grate finely the loneliness I am experiencing. Not even desiring to be redundant either to any of you. Loneliness and depression both needs to stop lingering around us and me and drown in a black hole in space, for good!
    Want to have friends, get to know them gradually, support them, regularly surround myself with them, communicate well with , love plus care for them, laugh/ smile/ bask in their presence and cry together including hanging out at times, if possible.
    Going back to college for my second quarter scares me, too as a couple of courses are freaking me out due to not being in school for over 30 years.
    These things are freaking me out as I quiver and pace as I stare out in space. Daydreaming of ones whom I hope on here whom have wrote ( along with others whom later will) will one day meet as we become great friends besides hanging out. Love to get to know you better. Please and Thank You! Huge hugs!

20. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome @hemcot4
    I’m yet another male in his 50’s here on EC as I come out (in my case, bisexual). This site has been very important and empowering for me.
    Hugs to you too! You’ve been through a long road, and you are a survivor.
    I echo what others have mentioned — there are different ways of going and meeting folks. Meetup can work to help with loneliness: I’ve felt welcomed into groups that just wanted instant friends for casual group activities. I have not signed up for any other apps besides Meetup though. I did join some hobby groups, and have a circle of friends I can talk to afterwards. The city I live in has multiple activities, but I understand how that isn’t the case in smaller communities (Southern or not). Maybe there are activities on campus where you’d find such folks to hang out with?