1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I worry I'm too big to cross-dress

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LaurenSkye, Dec 29, 2018.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a natural male, I love the idea of dressing, and generally looking, more like a woman. I paint my fingernails, carry a purse, even wear women's panties (not that anyone can see them). But I want to dress even more feminine, but I'm afraid my size is a problem. I'm 6'6" tall (it runs in the family). It's not easy for me to even find men's clothes that are my size, let alone women's.

The pants size I typically wear is 38x36, though I like them a bit baggy, and I could wear 36x36. My ideal men's shirt size is XLT, and it's not easy finding the tall sizes. XL can sometimes be too short, while 2XL can sometimes be too baggy. I've tried on women's tops before that were big enough to fit around me, but way too short. I've considered possibly buying a dress and wearing it as a long shirt, but I worry that would be ugly. While I have no real desire to wear traditional women's shoes, I do like women's boots. But men's shoes are not easy to find. Depending on brand I wear either size 12 Wide or 13. One other big issue I have is cost. My budget is limited, and I typically shop at stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Burlington. It's just so frustrating to me.

(On a side note, it's not easy being very tall, so don't assume tall people have it so much better than short people.)

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have this problem with women's tops being too short, although I'm not even 6ft tall. But it's tall enough to cause some problems regardless.

You can wear a rectangular shaped dress as a tunic with leggings or skinny jeans. But it's as much as I can come up with, I have no experience with XL+ sizes and don't know which stores sell them.

3. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could try a t shirt dress if regular shirts aren’t long enough. They look just like a regular shirt but are pretty long.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Women's clothing sizes are a complete bag of random (I once tried on leggings in L, XL, and XXL, of which the L and XXL were the same size and fit me, but XL was too small, and this was in the same store).

That said, if you look hard enough (and maybe bring a supportive lady friend with you), there are clothes for many body types in women's, including yours.

5. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't bought from Long Tall Sally yet, but I've heard good things. Their XL is a 22-24, instead of the "14-16, and way too small!" of other brands, and their models seem to be around six feet tall.

6. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Mikey! You're not too big to crossdress, but you've got an unfair headwind you have to push against. Sorry about that!

I'm AMAB and bi-gender, and I present as female a lot without the benefit of surgery or hormones. I'll second the idea of wearing a dress as a tunic, with leggings. It's a cute and feminine look! Also, longer dresses should work on you: a midi dress (calf length) might be knee-length on you, and a maxi dress (ankle length) might be a midi on you, etc.

For clothes on a budget, I highly recommend eBay and Poshmark. I know, the clothes are used, but I've bought, god, probably at least a thousand dollars worth of clothing on those sites in the past couple of years, and they've been great. Almost always the item is in very good condition (if it doesn't say otherwise in the description) and freshly cleaned. It's a *lot* cheaper than buying new, especially if you focus on the bargains and check in regularly. Also, you don't have to go through the stress of shopping in person for women's clothes (unless you don't experience stress from that). Also, you get to do lots and lots of shopping! Be picky: it means you'll get nicer things and get to shop more. :slight_smile:

You can find a few kinds of very large shoes on these sites, though you'll be jealous when you see how many shoes are available for smaller sizes.

I advise steering clear of super-cheap clothing like Wish.com and a lot of the least expensive Chinese stuff on Amazon: it's sometimes badly made and often runs much smaller than the size would imply.

Some of these listings include exact measurements, so get yours if you don't have them already. In case you don't already know (and sorry for the unneeded info if you do), remember that waist for women's clothing is "natural waist," the narrowest part of the torso--not the place where men wear belts.

And also, just in case you don't know, and please ignore this if you do: dress for your body shape! For women's clothing, most AMAB people who haven't had physical changes fall into the "rectangle" or so-called (god help us) "banana" body shape, i.e., not so curvy. Some things that often work for people with this shape are v-shaped necklines; wide straps, cap sleeves, and longer sleeves (but not strapless, spaghetti straps, or short sleeves); and well-defined waists.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

#6 MStream, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Brandy Bee and LaurenSkye like this.
  7. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my friends who is a good bit over six foot and skinny has the same problems as you. He has taken to wearing their ex-girlfriend’s black jeans as they’re skinnier but with black long socks/leggings underneath to hide the bottom of her legs. It’s not perfect but it works for them.
    As for the tops not being long enough I find wearing a vest or another top underneath tucked into your trousers/skirt makes it feel less like your stomach is on show and actually one of tecahers did that when she was pregnant as well and it looked fine as long as the underneath top was right and the over top was flowy

LaurenSkye likes this.
  8. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    +1 for the Amazon sizing. I've had issues as well.
    Poshmark, you say? Girl, you shouldn't have advertised, now you're gonna have to race me to the deals!

MStream likes this.
  9. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm also six-foot-six. Size 15 women's shoes.
    Yoga pants are my go to. Leggings and a long sweater also work.
    Shoes? Look after them, is all I'm saying!

Alice89 and LaurenSkye like this.
  10. redplanet1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    no one is too big to be fabulous! :wink:

Mihael, LaurenSkye and Brandy Bee like this.
  11. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you don't mind me asking, what size yoga pants do you wear?

12. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Size 12, and longest leg lululemon carries (36?) , I think anyway.

LaurenSkye and Alice89 like this.