1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The whole sad story

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by nerdbrain, Dec 22, 2018.

1. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it does feel like a murky void sometimes. When I encounter a man I'm attracted to, I sometimes imagine being together in a non-sexual way (i.e., having dinner, holding hands, etc) but those thoughts quickly turn to anxiety and dread. I know that romantic thoughts about men are evidence that I am gay, not just "a straight guy with gay fantasies." I just kind of push them away without even meaning to. I don't really know how to show my interest in a guy -- again, there's a lot of shame in playing a feminine role. For example, the idea of complimenting a man's appearance in a flirtatious way makes me queasy, especially if I think he's attractive. So I default to my "normal" mode of just being a "dude." I feel much safer that way, even if I know the guy is gay. I'd rather be perceived as a chill guy that's worthy of friendship and respect than a lecherous fag who's desperate for cock. (I'm sorry to use those words but that's how it feels in my mind.)

As for women, I don't even know what to say about it right now. I was seeing this girl casually for several months and it ended recently due to a weird miscommunication. I was definitely attracted to her sexually. Right now I'm in kind of a depressed, introspective state and I'm not too keen on dating, but I still swipe on the apps and feel good about myself when an attractive girl matches with me. (I don't get that ego rush when I match with a man -- probably for the reasons mentioned above.) Most women I match with want a serious relationship, which I'm not really into right now. I'm ok with casual or friends with benefits, but I am most definitely not emotionally available to a woman at the moment, so I feel like I'm conning them a bit and I don't like being dishonest. But I'm just lonely so I won't rule out going on some dates and trying to have a good time.

2. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. Maybe a therapist or something will help with this. Or maybe just trying to relax and imagine it?
    Again, I am not an expert and I was fearful of thinking about a man romantically, but when I did it immediately felt so good it was hard to deny. But everyone is different.

Again every one is different, and I am not out yet so it's still in my head, but the idea of doing this to a guy really turns me on! But again, even a few months ago I was scared to admit this...

I guess what I am saying is I had the same fears as you but once I embraced the feelings, the idea of being with a guy romantically was so overwhelmingly good. I am not saying this to 'show off' - I know I have a long way to go, and everyone's journey is different but if these things are still holding you back maybe just step back from the gay label for awhile?

You said you were gay above -so why are you still dating women?

Cashew likes this.
  3. nydtc

Too funny, I haven’t been on in years and came back today for some reason. I remember chatting with you back then!

4. Butterfly6

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh wow, I could write your story except I'm married with 3 kids. When I think of women, I picture holding hands and being extra close.

I've never had sex with a woman. I seem to have a breakdown every few months thinking I'm gay and all of a sudden I have intense sexual thoughts about women around me. They dont turn me on and I only fantasize about men.

I'm so sorry to hear about your marriage, I can imagine the pain of letting someone you love go. I'm having the same problems here. I love my husband a lot but when these thoughts get in I lose my attraction for him and any male.

I've also been in therapy for yrs for OCD. Did your therapist ever suggest medications?

5. Cashew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you've written it does not sound like you are as gay, as people who are gay don't generally have feelings of sexual attraction to more than one gender and would not enjoy sleeping with more than one gender. I don't believe a gay man would enjoy sleeping with or be sexually attracted to a woman.

I don't know too much about bisexuals but I think that many do have a preference for one gender or can go through phases of preferring one gender over another. Maybe the fact that you keep coming back to this issue over the years and do not feel content in seeking a relationship with a woman means that it is something that you subconsciously do want to pursue some kind of relationship with a man but you have some internalised homophobia which is preventing you from opening up fully to this side of yourself. A lot of the vocabulary you are using around gay sex suggests to me that you may well have a lot of internalised homophobia. This is very very common, I think most of us suffer from it to some extent.

It is a real shame that you cannot access LGBT counselling. In my country we are very lucky in that we can access free LGBT counselling but there is also have a free confidential telephone line run by LGBT volunteers which can be helpful if you can't access counselling.
    I have found reading gay literature and watching gay films has been helpful to me in acceptance. There are actually a lot of really good films about gay men at the moment such as 'God's Own Country' and 'Weekend'. These are British (I think) and they are really good independent films. I only wish they would make more decent films about lesbian relationships.

Also have you tried out the Kinsey scale? It can also be helpful to work out where you are on the spectrum.

6. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are fighting with yourself.You are making yourself miserable.No one is attacking you.You are the one that is hurting yourself.Just find a boyfriend and get over it.