1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being stealth with transphobic housemate

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by optionthree, Dec 10, 2018.

1. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

In September I moved away from home for the first time, and I'm currently living in a house with a couple other guys who don't know I'm trans. I didn't struggle with this at first, but upon getting closer with them I have learned that one of them is heavily transphobic, and I now feel like being trans is something I need to actively hide for my own safety, rather than something that's just irrelevant. We spend most of the day together or around each other, and I'm starting to find life increasingly difficult.

If anyone's ever been where I am, how did you deal with it? How do I not feel stressed about being potentially outed?

2. Rhelrahne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't been in your situation before but if your under full control of the situation and manage the house wipe the transphobic one out of the equation if not hide it like your life depends on it because honestly it might well depend on how well your able to hide it and once your able to secure somewhere to live on your own you'll be completely fine

3. Darragh G

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd just like to say that this is a horrendous situation to be stuck in for you and must be tearing you apart a little. I have never been in this situation before and have only a little advice.
    If you feel genuinely threatened about the idea that he would hurt you if you told him, then get yourself out of there! You don't have to tell anybody anything but if you do want to share you should be comfortable.
    If you think that he could just do with an education then try and talk to him about it I guess. I had a family member who was very anti-gay and transphobic. After a little bit of me chatting to him and taking him to bars and clubs he adjusted to the idea (he still doesn't like it but his PoV are not so extreme).
    You shouldn't have to live in fear and if you are get out! :slight_smile:

4. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just hope things change so you can be yourself.

Not even sure what to say other than I support you.
    Let me know how things are going.

5. Rhelrahne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly lets just hope you can convince him to change his opinion and it is possible even some of the most despicable people in the world can change into truly good people i have no doubts he can't as well

6. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What ever happens you are great the way you are.

Have a good evening.

7. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is the other guy potentially supportive or tolerant? If the transphobic guy found out and lost his temper - I hope it doesn't happen - could the other guy talk some sense into him?

8. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your safety is the number one thing. If you have transitioned medically and pass you can just take it as having a creepy house mate. I have had those. It's stupid and consuming but that arrangement won't last forever and you can't change him.

It could potentially be harder if you are pre-transition. That's the whole topic on it's own. Then you shoud maybe try to find another place if you can.

I study with a group of young dudes who crack jokes about transpeople, autism etc. all the time. I am trans and have aspergers. They know I am older than they are although I look young. They respect my age. I am stealth. If I was younger I would feel like a sheep in a pack of wolves. Now I am more like a bear they stay away from.

I would hate it if I had to live with them. That would be an ordeal.