1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between Transgender and Transsexual?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chierro, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I'm not trans and really have not been around many trans individuals (being from rural PA) so I'm really just honestly curious. Regarding the title, what's the difference? Up until recently, I have only seen transgender being used on here, but suddenly I am seeing transsexual being used by some on here.

The only trans individual I really know in person refers to themselves as transgender, has been using testosterone for I think two years, presents as male, etc. And even then, he and I aren't exactly close friends, we've just had a few classes together and are friends on Facebook.

I took a Queer Theory course during my sophomore year and whenever articles that our professor (an exquisitely queer man) assigned were older and used transsexual (or other dated words that used to be acceptable but are no longer), he would point out that that is a word that is no longer commonly used; that is was okay in the context of the article, but outside of the article transgender was more appropriate to be used. Several of the members of my campus's LGBT organization that I'm friends with also show vehemence against transsexual being used (it being pointed out during an LGBT 101 training that it is inaccurate, my boss using it for something and being quickly corrected by one of my coworkers).

I am familiar with the difference between sex and gender. One of my graduated coworkers identifies very proudly as non-binary and they were always very happy to help educate people on the differences and on their own identity.

So, please help educate me, lovely individuals. Mods, admins, experts, anyone who feels they have a firm educated grasp, your responses would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Except the only trans person I know refers to himself as transgender when he's been taking T. And I feel like most depictions of trans characters are referred to as transgender. So then can it simply be seen as label preference?

The actor Ellior Fletcher comes to mind. He's gone through HRT and surgery and refers to himself as transgender. Same thing with Laverne Cox, she refers to herself as transgender.

I'm really not trying to be ignorant, I've just honestly not seen anyone identify as transsexual.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my understanding, transgender is more of an umbrella term while transsexual refers to someone who has undergone hormone therapy and surgeries. The latter is an older term whereas transgender is used a lot more nowadays to refer to basically the same thing.

BradThePug, Cailan and Chierro like this.
  4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That helps explain how I've encountered things!

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So are you saying that someone who has undergone or currently undergoes HRT and identifies as transgender is...incorrect at how they identify?

I decided to scope out GLAAD so here's their definition of transgender:
    Transgender (adj.)
    An umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from what is typically associated with the sex they were assigned at birth. People under the transgender umbrella may describe themselves using one or more of a wide variety of terms - including transgender. Some of those terms are defined below. Use the descriptive term preferred by the person. Many transgender people are prescribed hormones by their doctors to bring their bodies into alignment with their gender identity. Some undergo surgery as well. But not all transgender people can or will take those steps, and a transgender identity is not dependent upon physical appearance or medical procedures.
    Their definition does include the characteristics of a transsexual individual under the term.

For reference, this is their definition of transsexual:
    Transsexual (adj.)
    An older term that originated in the medical and psychological communities. Still preferred by some people who have permanently changed - or seek to change - their bodies through medical interventions, including but not limited to hormones and/or surgeries. Unlike transgender, transsexual is not an umbrella term. Many transgender people do not identify as transsexual and prefer the word transgender. It is best to ask which term a person prefers. If preferred, use as an adjective: transsexual woman or transsexual man.
    Which does notably point out that the term is older.

#5 Chierro, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for this. My doctor has me as "transsexual" in his confidential medical documentation. He didn't even ask if that's what I was; he observed it and I noticed one day on his computer screen while he was assessing me an unrelated medical concern.
    I have not taken hormones (yet, but wish to),
    I refer to myself as transgender, but if that's what my doc calls it, whatever. It may be outdated, but then again, he's older, and as long as I'm being given compassionate, honest and professional medical care, I'm not going to split hairs over it.

MrLesbian, konigsberg and Chierro like this.
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's been some inaccurate information represented in this thread, and the staff has had to remove a number of posts that represented as factual information that does not match current thinking in the field.

According to the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association (basically, the two professional associations most widely recognized on topics related to human sexuality and orientation,

It has nothing to do with whether or not surgery has taken place. In practice, the term 'transgender' is an umbrella/inclusive term that includes a variety of subclassifications. However, both APAs and most other credible organizations as well as the majority of individuals, who have actually had gender confirmation surgery and thus have 'fully transitioned' (which, in itself, is a judgmental term) refer to themselves as 'transgender' rather than 'transsexual', or, in some cases, simply refer to themselves by the gender they identify as.

For anyone who wishes to read more on this topic, there's an excellent FAQ as well as a detailed article offering the APA's current guidelines on best practices for mental health professionals in working with trans individuals. These two articles represent the most widely accepted and recognized, and evidence-based thinking on the subject, which is in keeping with Empty Closets Community Services' focus on evidence- or research-based, and widely accepted, consensus views on issues related to sexuality and sexual orientation.

BradThePug and Chierro like this.
  8. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip quick question... it’s not exactly related, I don’t guess, but kinda... anyway since transgender deals with gender identity, how would sexuality be defined? I’ve always just thought of my transgender friend (mtf) as straight because she’s attracted to guys... is this not right?

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not an expert in sexual identity or in trans issues, so take the following with a grain of salt.

My sense, based on what I have heard experts in the field indicate at various workshops and conferences, is that sexual orientation would be a product of the individual's identified gender (let's say MTF) and the gender to whom they are attracted. So, for example, an MTF attracted to men would be straight. And many trans individuals, once they have completed transition (whatever that means for them, regardless of whether or not they have had any form of gender confirmation surgery) don't identify as trans, but simply as whatever gender they identify as. So, for example, your MTF friend would simply be a female attracted to guys.

The only complicating factor here is, of course, the level of acceptance of cisgendered individuals toward trans individuals. Probably in part due to internalized homophobia, many straight men insist they aren't attracted to transwomen, and this is the cause of much violence toward transwomen (and transmen). This is a difficult issue, in that the trans individual often feels compelled to reveal that s/he is trans to avoid awkward or uncomfortable circumstances, which often causes rejection. It's an unfortunate situation, and one for which there isn't any good solution other than helping individuals to become more understanding and accepting of gender variance.

10. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's right. I'm a (trans) guy, that's attracted to men. So I'm a gay man. If your friend is a woman that's attracted to men, she's straight. If you take away the trans prefix you might find it easier to work out.

#10 Aberrance, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  11. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t use the trans prefix normall, here it was just for clarification purposes. Honestly this came up in therapy (I was discussing comments on a thread here). I answered using my friend as an example. My therapist asked some follow up questions that I just hadn’t consider and I thought I would ask here to clarify. I don’t know, my mind works differently than most I guess. (I don’t know if this is politically correct and if not I hope someone will please correct me I don’t want to offend). Another friend of my, she is really great too. I actually was attracted to her before she came out as transgender. Once she told me, I was so proud of her and immediately my mind flipped. We switched into talking about hair and make up and clothes. Making plans to go shopping and all that stuff. I switched right away into seeing her, and as a gay man that meant she was no longer on my team. I just assumed everyone felt that way, but my therapist was a bit confused and made me second guess myself on the subject.

12. smurf

If anyone is still confused after reading the thread, the difference is the way we use the word.

Its the same thing about most gay men preferring gay rather than homosexual. Both mean the same thing, but one sounds better than the other so people prefer something that sounds less medical to them.

Chierro and I'mStillStanding like this.
  13. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I've been hearing it used is:

Transgender - an umbrella term that refers to *any person whose gender identity does not match their physical body/sex/DNA.* It includes those who are FtM, MtF, nonbinary of any type, and also any person who chooses not to transition and those who do transition.

The "trans" part of "transgender" does not refer to transitioning, but refers to the difference between their sex characteristics vs their internal gender feelings.

Transsexual: refers to a transgender person who is in the process of or has completed medical transition - hormonal and/or surgical. Persons who choose to use the term transsexual does not cease to be transgender because they are still whatever DNA they had at birth, and the hormones/surgeries only make their body match their mind, not their DNA. No matter what we do, the DNA is always there. They become a subset of transgender, but are still transgender. (The DNA stuff goes out the door when you start dealing with intersex conditions).

The "sexual" part of "transsexual" does NOT refer to sexuality, but to physical sexual characteristics (breasts, genitals).

Sex = physical body configuration
    Gender = identity.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not according to both APAs (psychological and psychiatric), who are pretty much the recognized authorities on the issue (and who do not operate in a vacuum). See what I posted above. It's important that the issues are clear, as, especially with transfolk, inadvertent misinterpretations can create feelings of shame and inferiority s/he is "not trans enough". Labels that seem to imply "levels" of trans can also (perhaps inadvertently) reinforce this sense of shame and inferiority, which, I suspect, may be part of why the accepted definition is what it is.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that part of the issue is that a lot of people see the term transsexual as offensive. So, I think that this causes some confusion since the terms are used interchangeably because of this.

Chierro likes this.