1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the pride flag should include racial and gender equality rather than only Lgbt?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lgbtqpride, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I doubt the new flag, if it were changed, would be used everywhere. Some people would still use the 'old' rainbow flag.

I have no problem with a new flag. Non-white people are part of the LGBT community too, and while the original flag might not have been designed to exclude them, there is no doubt there is racism in society, and that unfortunately includes within the LGBT community. We aren't separate from society, after all.

2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's pretty naive to think that the gay community is unified because it's not. It's also laughable to suggest that race doesn't matter within the community. However, I don't think that adding more colours the flag will change anything.

3. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Race shouldn't matter anywhere, and to those who think race does matter is borderline racist, for the simple fact that if race is a factor in your judgment in a person whether that be good or bad is racist in itself. And even if it wasn't adding race to the flag ruins the meaning of it. The only reason I feel so strongly about this is because the flag is a symbol, a symbol that I hold dear, a symbol of love, not race. It's a symbol of loving anyone you'd choose to love, and making it about race defeats that purpose of love without boundaries.

4. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do agree with you on there is still racism in society, but what does changing a flag that has nothing to do with race in the first place do to help that? In my opinion, it only strengthens the divide between races, not weakening them.

#24 Doopz, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  5. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The pride flag represent the whole lgbt community, not just gay. It represent diversity. We should fight for equal rights together , not only for our own sexuality.

6. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All humans should be equal, we should not use race, gender or sexuality to divide ourselves.We should fight for equal rights as a team, not seperately.The more people we got, the higher chance we can win.

7. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Equality should be for all people, not just for people with different sexuality.

8. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are black people and asians in the lgbt community too, not just white people. The pride flag represent human right. We should not be discriminated base on our sexuality and skin colour.All humans should be equal.

9. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We do not need to change the flag, just include racial and gender equality.The different colours in the pride flag represent diversity.
    The pride flag already include queer, asexual and allies without changing its colour.

10. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If we fight among ourselves, we can never have equal rights.

11. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is a symbol of equal rights.

12. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you forget the t in lgbt? Transexual is not about love, it is about gender.

13. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Asexuality and allies already have their own flags that aren't the gay pride flag. Honestly I feel like separate flags bring more attention each cause, which is why we see separate flags for bisexuality, transgenderism, asexuality, etc.

By tacking everything onto one flag, something is bound to get lost in the shuffle. Plus people already associate the gay pride flag with gay rights. If new flags are created (some for racial equality, and some for gender equality), people could become intrigued and perhaps research what the new flags mean. People (especially those out of the loop/outside the LGBT community) aren't going to look at the gay pride flag and think of racial or gender equality, they're going to think of gay rights because that's what they know the flag represents. If new flags come on the scene, they can bring more attention to each cause instead of being overshadowed by gay rights. In my opinion they'd have more of an impact standing on their own and making their own statements instead of being thrown on to an existing symbol as secondary causes.

#33 BothWaysSecret, Dec 27, 2018
  14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've never felt so race conscious until I decided to use gay apps and gay dating websites so I won't apologize about the fact that race does matter ESPECIALLY in the gay community.

That is why I laugh when people justify racial exclusion with "it's just a preference" and then in the same breath claim that race doesn't matter.

#34 KyleD, Dec 27, 2018
  15. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe you missed my point entirely, race shouldn't matter when judging a person's character. So, if I would have to make a comparison a person's character would be like the functionality of an application, basically everything that goes on under the hood, while the physical appearance would be the user interface. You should not use the UI to judge the functions of an application same with the other way around. Though in both scenarios (race and said applications), people more often than not favor the UI over functionality, looks over character and all that. Though I will not share my opinions on such practices, I do find it important to realize those are different and you shouldn't just use one of them to judge someone. You require both.

16. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It appears you seemed to have forgotten who's equal rights it's a symbol of. You should not try to clutter it with another unrelated thing.

17. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though none of it has to do with the colour of your skin, nor where you come from, does it?

18. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

I get your point and I agree with you. However, if these applications are judged a lot based upon their User Interface (UI) they will become more conscious of it. If these applications don't fit within the wider spectrum then they will want to find groups with similar UI as themselves that will understand their specific issues and concerns.

19. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with that, but I don't see how that relates to the current discussion.

20. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    For example, there are unique experiences that a young, disabled lesbian will face in life. To say that her disability has nothing to do with her sexuality is counterintuitive and frankly insensitive.

Is she supposed to talk about her unique challenges as a disabled person with other disabled people like herself? The irony is that she might face discrimination among her heterosexual disabled friends who will tell her that her sexuality has nothing to do with her disability and she should take that discussion elsewhere.

Do you realize how isolating and rejected that makes her feel?

#40 KyleD, Dec 27, 2018