1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can’t figure out how to come out to accepting family and friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OhMyMyMy, Dec 25, 2018.

1. OhMyMyMy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone

I am a 20-year-old guy from Europe. English is not my native language, so sorry if this gets a little messy. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this!

After having spent years part denying, part ignoring my sexuality, I feel like I have finally come to terms with liking guys and like I’m getting as ready to come out as I can possibly be. For the past year, I have gradually become more comfortable with being attracted to guys and also with feminity and gayness in general, largely thanks to YouTubers (Troye Sivan :heart:). However, no one really knows about this. I’m stuck somewhere between accepting who I really am and being open about who I really am.

There are many reasons why I haven’t come out yet. Mainly, I am not as brave as I would like to be. Apart from that, I was never very stereotypically “gay”. I preferred science over language, LEGO’s over Barbies, had more male than female friends, and with my limited knowledge at the time, I didn’t think I could be gay. It didn’t help that I’ve never been good at dealing with and expressing my feelings – I’m more of an Engineer than a Psychologist if that makes any sense.

Most of my family and friends are quite accepting with a few exceptions. The struggle for me is mainly opening up about something so personal. Also, I find it immensely unfair that gay/bi/etc. people have to come out and fear losing friends, while most people don’t have to worry at all. I have a few close friends that I could tell, but every time I get some time alone with one of them and want to tell, I get nervous and don’t know how to open up the conversation. It seems like all of my friends figured themselves out years ago, while I’m still not out at 20.

I have thought about inviting one of my close friends over so I can tell them one on one. When I have done it once, it will probably be easier to open up to close friends, sibling, parents, other friends, etc. I also have a friend who is openly gay, who for obvious reasons he would be accepting of it. However, I have a huge crush on him (which I don’t think he reciprocates). I don’t think I can lie to him if he asks me if I like him, so maybe it’s not the most ideal way to come out for the first time.

Any advice on my situation and how to bring up the coming out topic would be very much appreciated. Happy holidays, btw! :slight_smile:

2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy holidays :slight_smile:

One of the biggest things to keep in mind is not all gay guys are the same. So it’s cool that your into those things, I was the kid who would build the Star Wars Leggo Millennium Falcon and then dress Luke in drag to fly it lol. God I wish that was a joke! So don’t stress about what you think you have to be as a gay man, just be yourself and the gay will come through lol.

You’re 20 which isn’t old at all, and your friends are still trying to find themselves trust me. Some of us didn’t accept our sexuality and come to terms with it till much later. I was just about to turn 28.

I found it easier to do one on one at first. And your right, each time gets a little easier. The nerves are still there. You just become more empowered about who you are and overcome them easier. Now the gay friend could be a great choice. I don’t imagine he’s gonna ask if you’re into him (I may be wrong). But he knows what your going through and could be a good sounding board through the process :slight_smile: I came out to my gay uncle (right after my mom forced me to tell her) and it was nice having someone to talk with about it all.

3. Reesa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Come out to that close person. It will help you feel a bit more relief and will encourage you to tell other people if you have someone that you know supports you and you can talk to that person about your problems. Burying your feelings for someone is a really shitty thing to do to yourself. Think about the bigger picture if you tell them about your feelings for them who will be affected or what will happen to your friendship. You have to see your situation and carefully decide which way will hurt less people. Those people also includes yourself. Don't destroy yourself over a partner.

4. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! From what you’ve written I feel like you’re really ready come out but you just need to take that last huge jump. Don’t put to much pressure on yourself, do it when it feels right to you.

I totally get what you mean. Like you I would be considered a rather feminine girl and I don’t fit a lot of stereotypes straight people have about leabians. That’s why for the longest time I kind of didn’t fully get that I could actually be gay and that it has nothing to do with your looks or interests. I was also 20 when finally admitted to myself that I like girls and it felt so late to me compared to some other gay people around me. We just needed some more time and that’s ok, 20 is still young and at least now you’re more mature and coming out might be easier to handle than when you’re in your teens when everything feels more dramatic and adults don’t always take you serious.

Coming out is stressful and I get that opening up to people when you’re not used to talking about this kind of stuff is incredibly awkward, but it’s also really exciting and you’ll sometimes create closer bonds with people cause they’ll feel like now they have the space to open up about what they’re struggling with as well. I’d suggest telling people one by one or in small groups, that’s what worked best for me. The first person is a huge step but it’ll make everything feel more real, like there’s no going back and you just have to go on. Plus it’ll be so great to have one person by your side.

The gay guy seems like a good option if you think you’ll be able to handle it if it truly turns out he doesn’t like you that way. Either way, I wouldn’t expect him to ask you that at all but I don’t know him obviously.

Good luck!!!