1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance feels like our own Prison

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by UniqueRose, Dec 23, 2018.

1. UniqueRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyone else in a long distance relationship? How do you get through it? What are ways to cope with feeling lonely despite being in a relationship? I love her so much but it's so hard to look toward the future. It seems so long until we are officially together forever.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you've not received a reply yet I thought I'd pipe up but I just got out of a long term long distance relationship. We did make it work for a while though and if I hadn't broken it off we'd still be trying. It's little things like making time for one another and understanding the amount of attention each other needs. Communication is the main thing that will keep the relationship alive. You have to be transparent with each other about how you're feeling/what you're thinking. My ex and I did things like create Spotify playlist and Pinterest boards that we could both add things to. I made open when letters for an anniversary and gave them to him. Writing letters to each other if you're in the same country (or even different countries if it's not too expensive) can also be a different way of connecting.

It's a lot of finding ways to keep the relationship and the connection alive. If I ever felt lonely I could go back and read his letters or look through our Pinterest board or listen to the playlist he created for me and feel that connection to him without him being there. You just need to find the things that work for you to make you feel comforted. Also wearing his clothes even if they didnt smell like him anymore helped too.

#2 Aberrance, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  3. shasha1997

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had one LDR a year and half ago. We agreed it was too challenging and broke up. I vowed to never do it again and haven't. I need to be able to touch my lover every night. LDR are totally freaking stressful. all I could think of is he being faithful or just me suffering so much. I go crazy if he skip a day think he is cheating so should I too? I tell any hook up if we get serious I don't do LDR so if loving me keep this mindset too

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are intentionally not calling it a relationship/not remaining monogamous because we know it just wouldn't work - but sort of, yeah. Decided to meet up before the holidays and me heading out to see family, this time around. Bad idea. Usually I can at least get back to work and the grind and forget about how much I miss him afterward. Now I've got time to dwell on it. It sucks. Should of just bought him a plane ticket - but he doesn't want it to become real...

Anyhow, yeah, I feel ya. How do I cope with it? By not letting it become anything more than a twice yearly hook up, and stopping it from becoming too real. *Sigh*

#4 Browncoat, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Just keep yourself extremely busy! When you think of the person too much that's when it hurts.

#5 KyleD, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  6. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's so difficult i know some people are able to keep it carrying on for years but i wouldnt be able to be commited to a situation where my needs arent being fulfilled, i had trouble when she lived an hour away. A couple i know kept their relationship going by downloading apps where they can video call each other for free and would talk away for hours a day they are about the only couple i knew who were able to keep it going because they had a timeline when they will be together permanently.

7. shasha1997

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

8. shasha1997

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual