1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the pride flag should include racial and gender equality rather than only Lgbt?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lgbtqpride, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    20181225_205613.png
    Discuss

#1 Lgbtqpride, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No because they are separate causes/issues. They should have their own flags, instead of being tacked on to a flag celebrating sexuality.

3. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Yes, I don't think they are always separate issues, they often overlap. That would also bring more people together.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree.

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No because it is counter intuitive, it makes it seem like there is a difference between different parts of the community, rather than one in which race neither matters nor defines

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people feel their racial or ethnic identities are inextricably linked with their sexual identities.

Obviously the flag which represents all gender and sexual minorities shouldn't include a racial element - but another flag created to represent ethnic minorities within that group, not designed to replace it, might bring some level of good to those who feel they need it.

From an Australian perspective I'm quite cautious about it - it almost invariably means importing America's racial and political neuroses into a different context, one which the more radical activists often seem to wish was worse to give them a greater purpose.

7. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No because we can't be inclusive of every single thing in one flag. The rainbow flag is representative of the differing sexualities. It doesn't need to represent gender and racial equality. Also creating a flag isn't necessary to establish equality for a group.

8. Loves books

No because the rainbow flag represents sexuality’s and shouldn’t have to represent race and gender too. It’s inclusive in the fact that it represents all of the gay community regardless of race or gender. It unites us and shouldn’t include a way to separate us. It’s like trying to have a minority within a minority. I personally think that race doesn’t have a lot to do with sexuality, if I was born a different race I would still be a lesbian even though my ethnic community or the religion I could have would be less accepting. I really don’t think the flag should represent gender equality because it’s not like it considers gay boys superior to gay girls or the others in the community. If you try to include too much you are eventually going to run out of colors.

9. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think pride flag celebrate equality rather than sexuality.

10. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, people with different gender and skin colour are part of the lgbt community too.

11. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The pride flag represent equal rights.

12. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The pride flag represents equality for all humans.

13. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Transexual is a gender, not a sexuality.Have you forget about the t in the Lgbt?

14. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. Im trans myself and I was going to mention it but the rainbow flag is considered the 'gay pride flag', us trans people have our own flag consisting of pink, blue and white. Seperating different communities allows for distinctions to be made and change to be pushed in the right direction. If you're looking to improve trans rights and you're waving the rainbow flag, people are going to assume that sexuality is involved. Theres already enough confusion for people looking in on the LGBT community.

15. smurf

City of Philadelphia started using a flag to encompass this.

I don't think it matters that much and most people who advocate don't care that much, but its always interesting to say white lgbt people get so riled up about it.

They will be the loudest to tell you how they are two different issues and should not be "confused", that race doesn't really deal with sexuality, that its too complex, etc.

So this is the way activism has been done for a while now. What we are starting to see if activists who have been trained to see activism through an intersectional lens. Its a far more complex view of how oppression and privilege is handled in certain communities.

What you have now is an increasing white lgbt movement who only cares about sexuality, while trans women of color are being killed way more than any other lgbt person, yet if we focus on that problem of why that is happening then people think its "a different cause". People are dying, we aren't focusing on it, and people get butt hurt over "too many colors" in a flag.

So then as a person of color you get a divided house. You have your lgbt friends who care about your sexuality, but will ignore your problems as a person of color and vise versa. It works somewhat, but its not enough.

We all have different identities within ourselves. Unless we acknowledge it all then real change will only happen for some of us while the rest get left behind.

As for the flag, I really couldn't give a crap, but I LOVE that is making people talk about it and start thinking about the different conversation that are happening inside our communities. I hope that people understand that race is not a conversation that "they" the others have to have, but that you should care and be invested in the fight for equality for all.

16. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree.

17. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Lgbt rights are first and foremost human rights. I think an addition to the flag would only be beneficial.

Well said. I don't think Lgbt is just about sexuality or else transgendered people should be excluded which I don't see how that would add to or benefit the movement. The more people lgbt rights concern, the more will see themselves in us and the better our chances of achieving equal human rights will be.

#17 Silveroot, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2018
  18. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care either way but as a POC who happens to be queer, I 100% agree with @smurf and actually find it quite fascinating that people who get riled up over the idea of adding more colours to the flag are also often people who have no problem rocking widely unknown labels and don't see a problem with people adding new labels and letters to the LGBT acronym (without it apparently undermining the movement yet something related to race would?).

I agree that race and sexuality often have nothing to do with each other but like someone said upthread it also often overlaps and same goes with gender identity and sexuality. There is only need to take a look at the "fetishizing POC" thread to see why visibility to the struggles of POC within the community is important and very much needed.

Not least because 99% of those threads are answered by caucasian posters who go on to explain why something isn't racist or something isn't needed as if they would know (no offense I always appreciate other people's perspective but always find it funny when someone who is caucasian claims there is no racism where they live or what else or that race isn't an issue)

I personally love the current flag and have 0 problem with it but I would be lying if I said I felt 100% representated by it and the current LGBT community. The visibility of POC within the community is pretty much non-existent (and as stated in other threads often extremely fetishized), I can't think of a lot of LGBQ+ movies or books where one of the main character isn't white let alone where the two main characters aren't white and it says a lot .

Race is a problem that goes beyond the LGBT community but implying we are "over that" when you don't even need to leave this forum to see how relevant race still is (even within our community) is interesting to say the least.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah okay.

20. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because from what I've seen the LGBT community has never been about race, so adding it would be only panderous and missing the point entirely. So, keep race out of this. It's not an issue this community should be dealing with.