1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Hormone Therapy Work Better at Younger Ages?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jenniewo, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Jenniewo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I have been wondering for a while if getting estrogen during hormone therapy would work better or give more desirable results if you were to start the therapy at around 16 rather than starting it at 18. I'm younger than 16 right now honestly, and I have not told my family that I am transgender yet, but if hormone therapy gives more desirable results when you start at younger ages, then it might be an incentive to come out for me.

GothMoth likes this.
  2. malinconia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First I don't know what your situation is like at home but if you think that your parents/guardians would hurt you or take drastic measures I would recommend not coming out. Just before you do be sure you know exactly where they stand on trans stuff. Second I would say that starting HRT at a younger age could possibly give you the results you want to see sooner then if you were to wait. If you're not fully through a first puberty then a lot of the changes that you would see from that wouldn't necessarily be reversed but they would be less noticeable. Though I'm not exactly sure if that is true it just makes sense in my head.
    Also makes sure you know exactly how starting HRT will affect your body before starting HRT. Being aware of the laws wherever you live on a name change, gender marker change, the age limit on HRT, etc., etc. is also a good thing to know. Especially if you are going to come out because, at least in my experience, a lot of older cis people do not know these things. So if you know these things and are able to educate your parents/guardians it could, if they had doubts about your transness, help them to get over those doubts. And if they didn't its just good for you to know.

Jenniewo likes this.
  3. Jenniewo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the good advice! Don't worry, I came out as gay to my Uncle (I live with him) when I was 12, and he was completely fine with it. Because of that, I don't believe that he would take any drastic negative measures against me if I come out. I'm just a little nervous as of all people when they come out to family. I know exactly where I stand on how far my dysphoria goes so that's good. I'm not very sure about the age minimum for HRT and the laws for transgendered people, so thank you for alerting me about that. I'll definitely look into it!

Jennie

4. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The younger you start, the fewer changes your body makes during those years that need be reversed, and the more complete the results of your second puberty. If you start HRT before you're done growing, it can either increase the height of an FtM person, or stop height and shoulder width growth in an MtF person. The US endocrinologist association is recently changed their guidelines, recommending that teens begin HRT at age 14, down from an earlier recommendation of 16, after time has proven few if any undesirable side effects and problems with growth/maturation have been observed and benefits are increased when hormones are started earlier.

Jenniewo likes this.
  5. Jenniewo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, this really helps a lot! I'll definitely keep your reply in mind when thinking about HRT.

6. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Jenniewo,

The best time to start is early in puberty, but few get that opportunity. That's why the US Endocrinologists Association changed their guideline from from 16 down to 14. But for those of us (most of us) who don't get that opportunity, it doesn't make much difference (for MtFs anyway, I can't speak for FtMs). A relative of mine didn't start hormone therapy until the age of 69. She is now 71, and a beautiful (stunning for being 71) woman, who is happy and healthy, and would pass anywhere -- except for her voice, but she doesn't care. "I'm a woman! What else could matter?" Also, though as he, he was showing his age quite vividly, as a woman, people have been guessing her in her mid to late 50s. IRL, everyone knows her as a (sexy) woman with a husky voice, and she gets treated with more respect than almost any other woman in town. So no, 18 is not too old to start, and given the exquisite success of her transformation, I'd say, once you've finished puberty, I don't think it makes any difference if you start at 18 or 80 (depending on your health, of course).

Mandy