1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender as environmental

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So I was reading "the delusions of gender" by Cordelia Fine. (You can look it up on google)

If there is no such thing as a mental gender, and there's no fundamental difference between the sexes, then how does gender dysphoria and/or transgender exist?

Any suggestions for journal articles is great, thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will oppose. I think it's inborn and that it's not behaviour and role but the way hormones work in our brains... which causes us to take on certain behaviours and roles, to desire them. Gender is the different drives and feelings we have, summed together. You can't learn it.

No fundamental difference between the sexes... yes, we are all human beings :slight_smile: We might have different situations and different wants, personalities and different "boosts" given by evolution, but we are all essentially human.

As for transgender individuals... it's different from person to person, right? You would have to ask everyone separately why they are trans and where their dysphoria comes from.

Cailan likes this.
  3. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is proven that female and male brains are different. not in a significant way, but they are. The same as male and female bodies. (genitals, bone structure, fat distribution, etc)

Your brain develops one way or the other in the womb, sometimes, this messes up and gives the baby a male brain and a female body, or a female brain and a male body. This disconnect with sex and gender is what causes gender dysphoria.

Random example, lets say you were born with a extra arm. You were born with it, but knew it wasnt supposed to be there and feel very insecure and wrong for having it. You just want to have two arms like everyone else. that is how i can compare me and what i am born with as a transgender person.

It is different for every transgender person and complicated. I do feel like there is a "mental gender", because if there wasnt, a mental illness connected to gender would not exist. and gender dysphoria is very real.

Shorthaul, Cailan and Aberrance like this.
  4. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has been known for quite a while that there are distinct differences between the brains of males and females. A recent study of transgender youth finds that transgender youth usually have brain patterns more similar to the gender which they identify as, rather than the sex of their body. This is not the first study with these findings.

There is strong evidence the cause of the reverse gender brain formation is due to hormonal exposure to testosterone (or lack thereof) in early stages of fetal formation, and gender identity is set long before birth.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2018/...appears-similar-to-desired-gender/135731.html
    https://www.inverse.com/article/45115-transgender-youth-brain-activity
    https://bigthink.com/mike-colagross...ign-with-rather-than-what-they-were-born-with

etc

#4 Cailan, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018