1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over social media

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ATT, Dec 16, 2018.

1. ATT

ATT

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for starting all of these threads, I keep thinking of more questions as this roller coaster ride continues! So over the past week, I've been coming out to my family and friends through text message. While I'm happy about the strides I've made this week, there still is a desire for me to "rip off the band-aid" and come out over social media. I'm not sure why I feel so strongly I need to do this, but it feels like something I need to do. Plus, I'm finding that friends I've texted are feeling that I'm out to them, but not "out out", so they are hesitant to bring it up or talk about it with me. I really don't mind talking about it, it's just the continuous coming out that is exhausting and terribly difficult to me. Does anyone have any experience coming out over social media (Facebook, specifically)? Was it worth it?

2. joshco21

joshco21 Guest

I did over the summer and found it to be beneficial. I had come out to my close friends, but I was sick of being stuck in this middle area where others didn't know, and I had no way of knowing who knew and who didn't, because word spreads some. It was awkward and made me feel kind of closeted. For me, I posted something with the LGBTQ+ rainbow on Instagram and Facebook and captioned it with the quote of Jay Z's mom coming out in his song Smile. It was good for me, because I already knew that the people who mattered most to me accepted me, and if someone saw it and liked me less, I didn't care and understood that it was a reflection on them and not me. The reactions I got were positive, and now I've been able to move on with my life. Best of luck to you and congratulations on the significant progress that you've already made!

3. smurf

Yes, having to continuously come out is fucking exhausting.

Best thing you can do is just incorporate it into your life and let other people simply figure it out. If you already use social media to share aspects of your life, it only make sense to incorporate it into your social media.

Follow your gut and do what makes you the most comfortable. Congrats on starting your journey

So this is super common. Most of our friends have NO idea how to help us. They are so afraid of making it worse that they kinda of wait for us to give them a way to help us out.

Now that you have wonderful and supportive friends, talk to them about this whole thing. Tell them how exhausting it has been, talk to them about you wanting to come out using social media, tell them that you don't mind talking about it with them and that they have permission to tell other people.

Let your friends know how to truly help you. They want to be there for you but they just have no idea how to do that. Its up to you to let them know how they can best support you. And if you don't know what will help, also tell them that and give them permission to try stuff out and stop if you don't like it.

Include them in this journey. You don't have to do it alone anymore :slight_smile:

4. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, yeah it got people talking...I put a bisexual flag and a slogan saying I ain't gonna lie I'm bi bi bi. This on my face book.....I was sick of explaining and justifying myself. A few people in the office said I seen your post, I just Said that's good.....I've had more warmth from my work colleagues and friends, no one has disowned me.....

#4 Rade, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  5. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm already publically out, but I've got friends on insta who don't actually know. Okay, instead of a coming out I suppose it was more of a reminder of, "Heya look at this proud LGBT!!"

I posted a piece of LGBT work I submitted for school, and the caption was basically correcting what I said to my lecturer. (He asked why I was working on such a gay piece of work, and me being sleep deprived after not sleeping for 2 days basically whipped around and deadpanned: "I'm gay.")

Amusingly enough, even though the post itself didn't get as many likes (some club senior liked my post, to my surprise) one of my juniors commented" "YAAAAAAS GAY" XDXDXD

Sometimes it's the small things that make it all worth it.