1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to My Doctor

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dionysios, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, today I had my 6th month visit to my doctor, which included a questionaire about stress and depression. My doctor determined from my answers that I appeared to be quite stressed. He realized I looked flushed and noted that I had dropped weight. He kept asking me questions about what was causing it. I finally broke down and blurted out that I had just come out to my wife a few weeks back that I was gay. I admitted he was only the second person I told face to face. In a way, it felt good. He's a young guy and was not judgemental. Indeed, he was very sympathetic and allowed me to verbalize the emotional turmoil I was going through.

He confided I was not alone, he had other patients who also went through this life changing moment. He recommended some nearby Lbgt support groups and is going to check for a qualified counselor to refer me and my wife to. At times he reminded me of a parent. He warned me about the pitfalls of dating apps and insisted that if I decided to become sexually active with guys, that I stop by for a talk about how to stay healthy.

While I hadn't plan to come out to my doctor, in a way I'm glad I did. It was a positive moment amd I very much look forward to getting some professional guidance as I emerge after a lifetime in the closet.

smurf, luna4919, Chiroptera and 5 others like this.
  2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah a good professional. I understand your challenges are not over (yet). But somehow I think of this as a positive story.

Dionysios likes this.
  3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well done you....you know I think your a great guy......are there are LGBT groups near you? I go a couple a month...they are my new family....
    Jon..

Dionysios likes this.
  4. Gutterpunk

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm 14, so things area but different, and I want to tell every single person I know, or don't know, but I have been able to restrain myself, and my question is, should I tell my doctor

Dionysios likes this.
  5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doctors have maintain a confidential doctor-patient privacy. I would suggest confiding in your doctor, especially if you decide to become sexually active. He or she can give you referrals to counselors and give guidance about how to maintain sexual health. Knowledge is power my young friend!

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! It sounds like your doctor is a good professional, so that's also great! :slight_smile:

Dionysios likes this.
  7. smurf

HIPAA (law that keeps your data private) does not protect you if you are underage. If you are not ready to come out to your parents, then I would stay away from telling your doctor for now. Once you are 18 you can tell medical professionals with some more protection.

I know its tough not saying anything, but trying to keep you safe in case you think your parents might react badly.

Keep around here, post stuff and interact with people. We got you until you are ready :slight_smile:

#7 smurf, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    jacobsweat, Jenniewo and Dionysios like this.
  8. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Smurf for clarification! I did not know that HIPAA had a age requirement!

9. Jenniewo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on coming out to your second person ever! I'm not sure about how many people you came out to after that doctor visit, but coming out is very big and even if you come out to one person it doesn't make it any less important.

I remember the first time I came out as gay (before I realized I was a transgender female) to my friends. That was the hardest time of my life. I was so nervous that they would not accept me, but thankfully I was blessed with good friends and they accepted me wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, we lost contact due to going to different schools at the time, but that really doesn't matter in the long scheme of things.

The moral I'm trying to say is; the more you come out, the easier it gets! Just come out to people as you feel comfortable, and don't rush yourself to come out to somebody before you're ready (I made that mistake before but I got over it over MANY months).

To be completely honest, I realized I was transgender just today and now I've gone back into my shy state, so now it's time to follow my own advice!

Good luck!

Dionysios likes this.
  10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much for sharing. A few days after I came out to my doctor, I came out to my best friend. He's known me all of my lufe, we went to the same grade school and church. He was shocked at first, but was very sympathetic. It truly felt great talking and unburdening myself- like having a heavy weight removed from my back. He mentioned about how tortured I must have been hiding my orientation. He remarked that being gay wasn't accepted when we were young. My friend told me to call him whenever I feel to need to talk. It really felt liberating finally being able to reveal that part of me which I had hidden from people for so many years.

Jenniewo likes this.
  11. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sending much love to you.

Dionysios likes this.