1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racism in the LGBTQ+ community...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'mStillStanding, Dec 17, 2018.

1. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all know that racism exists in our community, we’ve seen it. Especially when it comes to the dating apps. Using phrases like "that’s just my preference"; we see the various “No” statements. But recently another topic came up I hadn’t ever considered, or even heard of. Fetishizing a race! It is kinda the opposite of the “No’s” and just as offensive (I would assume)! From what has been explained to me, and I have read in several articles, it's the idea of not caring about the person rather playing out a fantasy that they fit in solely due to their race. Since I still consider myself relatively new to the community, I’m curious as to what others' thoughts are on the subject. What have you heard or experienced about making race a fetish?

2. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weird. I’ve never heard of this.

3. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well as a trans woman, I've had people who want me as a fetish, but never heard of anything like what you're talking about.

Mandy

4. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, I hadn’t heard of it either till this past week. But, evidentially it’s a very real issue. @Amanda F see I haven’t even considered that... I mean I’m over weight so I get the guys who only want big guys messaging me all the time (which I hate because I’m very self conscious about my weight)! I just don’t understand how race or gender identity would/could be a fetish...

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't encountered it for a while. I think it's probably still out there but less socially acceptable--of course anything goes on the apps but I'm not on the apps. What comes to my mind is the term "rice queen" which was a guy who was not Asian who pretty much just dated Asian guys. I haven't heard the term in forever though...

6. Sealgirl19

For those who said
    "I haven't heard of this."

Legit question:
    Where are you from and do you often see a lot of PoC couples where you are from?

7. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @OGS that term was in one of the articles and they didn’t define it.

I’m from the south (this limits my LGBTQ+ community greatly). I have a diverse group of friends but this isn’t a topic that was ever brought up. Literally only had like two friends in my circle to talk to about this because the others are either unaffected by it, have known me for many, many years so would sugar coat it as a way to avoid hurting my feelings (I can be naive and view things through rose tinted glasses this translates to fragile for some reason even when it shouldn’t), and the others fall into a different group that would have tainted the responses as well.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mentioned this post to my husband. He initially couldn't even remember what a rice queen was. When I told him he was like "Oh that's right, wow, that's a blast from the past!" I know there was a term for white guys who only dated black guys, but neither of us could even remember what it was.

9. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Oregon. We have a lot of racially mixed couples here. There is no detectable trace of racism here, nor any trace of trans/homophobia. Well, I guess there's a trace, but the very few times I've seen anyone show any prejudice of any type, just the general public in the immediate area drove the hater away (or in one case, thrashed them).

10. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get how race could be a fetish, but it takes all kinds. I'm a no-op transsexual woman, which means I'm all female, except for having male genitals. We get fetishized often, by people who like women, but also like male junk. Around here though, people are actually very up front and polite about their intentions, so it's really no different for me than being hit on by a man. I just tell them I'm not interested and they politely excuse themselves.

Mandy

11. Sealgirl19

Is this from your perspective on have you heard it from type friends of color. I'm only diggimg because it's not making sense that there's no little to no trace of racism around you.

12. Sealgirl19

Black men get fetishised by their penis size. Many other people of different racist are fetishised because someone wants to "try something different"

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm Indian-American, and I haven't experienced much racial fetishism as plain negative racism (I learned clearly when using a dating profile without a photo - some white guys would be really interested in my written profile until they asked for pics).

I do remember a white guy who described an erotic fantasy of him and I doing some Hindu ceremony followed by sex (and my family is Catholic!). A few other white guys who were into me seem to have had more body type fetishes like body hair than race itself, and sometimes I couldn't tell if they were objectifying me. I've also had a gay black friend talk about white men crudely asking about his genitals.

I would say this is definitely not unique to LGBT people; the ladies (all white and generally older) at my pottery class were joking about interracial dating because one member's daughter was dating another Korean guy (she had studied abroad in Korea and Japan), including the phrase "once you go black you don't go back." I know it was a harmless joke, but it was an oversimplification. I would say in the case of that daughter who was immersed in both the Korean language and culture, it doesn't sound like a fetish as much as having greater exposure to different people.

However, recently I have been thinking that many typically Caucasian features like blue eyes or blond/red hair are often morphed into racial fetishes, and both white and people of color can be susceptible. For the latter, it can be really damaging in terms of self-esteem. Just a few days ago, a gay Indian confided to me that some other gay Indians had ignored him as they pursued white guys.

In general, I would say the overall problem is objectification: where the individual personality is ignored over fitting a specific role.

#13 resu, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  14. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have definitely seen races being fetishized before, especially black men. And yes i can say it definitely is very present in the lgbt, but the thing is, this is not specifically a lgbt issue.

People see Asian women, (specifically Japanese) to be innocent and fetishize them on that, people see black women and think they are powerfull (not saying they are not) and dominant, and fetishize them on that, this can even be compared to someone fetishizing goths for being dark, mysterious, and "bad" or viewing virgins as pure and wanting to corrupt them. (not the same thing, similar)

as for not wanting to date certain races, dont get me wrong, it can come off as rude but some people find appearances to be way more important than personality. personally, i dont care about race. but i can see why some people do. you cant exactly help who you are attracted to, if that makes sense. (i hope i dont sound rude)

I saw a video a while back about lgbt dating problems, and from a survey about gay dating (i dont know how accurate this is, keep in mind) and 80% of black men, 79 percent of Asian men, and 75 percent of south Asian men have been affected by either fetishization or racism when dating (who took the survey). it is a big issue, but im not sure what can be done to fix it. I guess... dont use dating apps?

Do i think it is bad? yes. but i can see why it happens.

15. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Amanda F what it must be like to live in a place like that... here you can’t go a single mile without seeing a conferadate flag... a friend is actually looking at relocating to the north west first of the year. They are so excited. Back on subject, I’ve never thought to ask one of my transgender friends about this... I know dating in this area is hard for them, and honestly I’m often scared when they are going out with someone new!

@Sealgirl19 I have been made uncomfortable by things I’ve seen (on apps) in regards to genralizations of African-American men that I’ve thought, that’s just in poor taste. Non of my friends ever pointed out this being a fetish, I thought it was some ignorant person who didn’t know better. We just didn’t talk about it! We need to! I’m sure you can tell, but im caucasian. Unfortunately this means somethings slip past me because my perspectives are different than a poc. I kinda hate that, because I always felt like I saw the world clearly. But the last few years I realized how ignorant I really am. I mean, where I live racism is a big issue. I just didn’t realize things like the BBQ lady, and Pool people, and the Lady at the store in NYC happened as frequently as they do!

Sometimes we do get caught up in our bubble, no matter how inclusive we make it. We still don’t experience the struggles of others, and this leaves us with blind spots. It’s like I asked my therapist, who’s straight, when her son was old enough to date did she ask him, “is there a girl at school you’re interested in asking out?” Or, “is there anyone at school you’re interested asking out?” She was kinda crushed because she had never thought about it. She is an LGTQ+ ally and great therapist, but no one has ever pointed this out. One word makes all the difference, but no one realizes that simple question can literally take away a kid’s choices. I mean there was a lot more, but that is one of the things I’ll never forget mom asking. Is there a girl... when she said that I knew a boy wasn’t an option!

16. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @resu I like what you said about objectification... that seems to kinda be the root issue (just my opinion).

And you @Reviskova are right, this isn’t just with in the LGBTQ+ community. Not really being that active in the heterosexual intimate world I didn’t notice too much. Except those phrases, “you don’t go back!” There are a lot of fetishes...

Also, Reviskova, I don’t think acknowledging things that attract you is rude. But how it’s presented can be, that’s always been my biggest issue with apps. You don’t have to be hateful to let someone down... I will say (this is just a thought) if you eliminate an entire race from your “possibilities” for whatever there may be some underlying issues to work on...

17. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well said on that last part, thats exactly my thoughts. i dont understand why someone can outright say "no blacks" when not all black people look the same, not all of them act the same, etc. thats the same with all other races. who people date is their personal choice, but i think people who say "no ___" are definitely at least a bit racist because they are lumping all people of a race into one type of look or behavior or stereotype.

18. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in an extremely liberal and progressive college town, in a rather liberal state. We sometimes joke about there being a city ordinance against hate and bigotry here. This town is a Mecca for anyone who is any kind of "different," and the entire city rejoices in, and celebrates it's diversity with several large public events each year. The near absence of racism (and any other type of discrimination) is not something I hear about from anyone -- it's something I see, experience, and live, every day. There are other cities like this too -- maybe not quite so absolute as here, but essentially the same. And, I know, there are many more cities that are the antithesis of this. But the people of this town know for a fact, that society doesn't break down and crime run rampant, if you embrace all races, all religions, all sexualities and genders, and let pretty much anyone live there -- and people actually can and do get along. Pretty radical concept, huh? Too bad it's not contagious. The whole World should catch whatever we've got here. Anyway, it is possible.

Mandy

19. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am mixed race and it is definitely a thing. I have had more than a few occasions where people went on dates with me and it was very clear it had everything to do with my "race". It personally make me feel very uncomfortable because they reduce me to a bunch of stereotypes/clichés they have about my race, some might not even realise they do it and most don't realise it's problematic because they feel that since it's positives thoughts they have about people with my ethnic background then it can't be bad.

And I have only lived in big liberal cities.

20. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, this is what bothers me. I’ve engaged in conversations with friends, especially with my latinx and African-American friends after certain situations, where I’ve made statements that I now feel are very problematic. I wish someone would have corrected me. I mean they know me and know my intentions. They also know I’m not very aggressive when it comes to dating/hook ups so I would never make those statements just out of the blue, so I assume they felt it wasn’t a risk of me insulting someone with complimentary cliches (I’m actually going to ask). All I can do now is be more aware and do better moving forward.

But I’m curious Linning, since you have experienced this, how could a dialog be started?