1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I split up with my husband?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Dec 17, 2018.

1. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A bit of background: so for those that don’t know im Bi and had a gf when I was at Uni. I’ve now been with my husband for 11 years and a crush on a lesbian colleague made me re-think my sexuality and led me to this site :slight_smile:

I feel like since I started to think about my sexuality again I have gradually started to feel less and less happy in my relationship. The thought of breaking up my family seems so difficult and totally breaks my heart but at the same time I don’t think I’ll ever be truly happy if I don’t?

My husband is a good guy and that makes it all the harder but I feel like the relationship is so much less than it should be in so many ways. That wasn’t always the case but I feel like we have drifted apart. He very much buries his head in the sand. Even though it was a long time ago and we were both young I was so happy with my ex gf and I that leads me to believe I probably would be happier with a woman. I hate that it my daily life I feel like I do so much lying/pretending.

I don’t want to do something I’ll later regret and I know I might never find the relationship with a woman that I’m looking for. Any advice appreciated!

2. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No specific advice, but I can definitely relate. I used to identify as bi as well and have shifted more toward lesbian and wonder if I was really lesbian all along. We're in a bit of a stalemate right now. Are there children involved in your situation?

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  3. whistle1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know whether it's worth getting out of an otherwise good marriage and leaving a good man for a "what if" - whether that "what if" is a another woman or another man. That is something only you can decide.

Personally, I would try everything possible to salvage the marriage (i.e., couples counseling). Even if he won't go to counseling, I would sit him down and have "the talk" about how you feel you have drifted apart.

You may decide to stay with him and be monogamous. You may decide to stay with him and have a girlfriend on the side. You may decide that it's better for everyone to split.

Please take some time to think about it - and pull your husband's head out of the sand and talk to him. Whatever happens, good luck.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I agree it's a really tough decision. I think you have to try and figure out whether the flaws in your relationship are things that can be improved or rectified.
    I think it is easy to remember the fondness of the relationship you had with the girl at uni and see it through rose tinted spectacles. That being said if you are unhappy and they aren't things that you think can be improved then sometimes breaking up the family can actually be the kinder thing to do than everyone being in an unhappy environment.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  5. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I have a son, he’s only 4 so still young. While I am attracted to men I think my attraction to women is stronger.

Do you have any children?

I do feel that in the long term I will definitely be with a woman again?

6. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be fair he has always known im Bi and that I miss being with a woman and although I never told him about my crush he’s not stupid and it wouldn’t have been hard to work out. I really want to be with a woman but at the same time I don’t want to cheat.

I do feel we have other issues unrelated to sexuality that are unresolved. Im not sure if counselling could help with this.

I definitely won’t make any rash decisions and nothing will happen overnight. I just want to feel I’m going on the right direction, if that makes sense.

7. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know the relationship with my ex gf wasn’t perfect but I just wonder if being with a woman would make me happier. Sexually I think I was happier in a relationship with a woman.

I feel it has been increasingly unhappy which I think is unfair on my son and I don’t want him to grow up in an environment like that. I definitely need to consider what can be improved and what action to take if it can’t.

Thanks for the advice!

8. PaintingMeInfinite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You’re taking the time to think things through and that’s a great direction to head in. I am in a similar situation with my wife. We have tried several options, such as an open/mixed orientation marriage which may be an option for you as well. It has been an ongoing process for us and myself especially as I am not completely comfortable with myself. We have decided to separate at this point though. Communication has been key in the journey and without it would have been much worse. Keep heading in the direction you’re going! Best of luck to you!

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  9. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do have children. I have one a little younger than yours and one a little older. One reason I'm not comfortable in my marriage is that long term view that you mention. How do you see your future? If I can't see my future with my husband, I have a hard time being content in the present. It sounds like you feel similarly.

#9 Fuzzy, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  10. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, being content in the present is something I’ve struggled with. I have tried to be more open about my sexuality and made some lgbt friends and that has definitely helped.

I see my long term future with a woman but it’s hard to know. Once upon a time I felt so sure I’d grow old with my husband. It’s funny actually as when we first got together I remember somehow knowing we would be together for a long time but not for ever.

Does your husband know?

11. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. He knows. We have talked about divorce, but he doesn't want to. I'm working on how to move forward. It's hard when feelings are not mutual.

12. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s an agonizing decision. My situation is similar, except I’d never been with a woman. I fell hard for a new friend last year and decided I was tired of pretending to be happy in my mostly sexless, non-intimate marriage. I’ve been in the process of gradual separation for 9 months now. It’s not easy. I am in love with a woman and being with her is amazing. Leaving my husband who I’ve been with since high school is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. He’s a wonderful man and I love him, but I’m not in love with him and I’m so tired of living a lie. If I had to do it again? I’m not sure. I may have tried to shut down my feelings for my friend before they went too far. Think really hard before you get involved with someone else. See a therapist. Consider realistically how it will feel not to be with your husband. I hope your path will become clear. There are several women here in similar situations.

SweetT80, dirtyshirt84 and LaneyM like this.
  13. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could have written this (apart from the college relationship with a woman). I feel like we've been drifting a long time and I feel at least partly responsible. I'm not ready to rock the boat with him or talk separation. I think couples' therapy will be on the horizon eventually, from there I don't know. We have other problems but they aren't severe and I know I'd just put up with it and accept the bad with the good if I was straight. I vacillate between suffocating in the closet and wondering why I'm so selfish. I'm not ashamed to be queer but it's throwing a wrench in my life. I don't see an open relationship or exploration ever being a viable option based on my preferences and his.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  14. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel for you. So been here.

LaneyM likes this.
  15. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dirtyshirt

I don't know if I have any advice. The only thing that I can offer is my own experience. I'm a bit, a lot, older than you and married for over thirty years. There was a time a couple years ago where I felt that I might have to leave my marriage in order to satisfy my same sex desires. As you know, my wife and I worked out an arrangement that allowed me the chance to explore my sexuality.

What I've found is that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. The more I am around my gay friends, the more I appreciate the relationship I have with my wife. It's not that there is anything wrong with those relationships. It's just that finding a match, that is even close, to my wife in compatibility would be a long shot to say the least.

I have a new intimate friend right now. He is, again, a lot younger than me...nearly thirty years. Part of the reason is that there are so few guys either of us is compatible with. It can be really hard to find the "one". The fantasy is compelling. The reality is another story.

I wonder if you would find what I did. That the need to be intimate with someone of the same sex was so compelling that I lost track of what is important in what I have? Once the urge is satisfied, I seem to have a bit more clarity on what my needs are. And, they are complex. I know I would not be satisfied with a man long term just as I am not completely satisfied with a woman.

Maybe it's time to have a real hard talk with your husband about really needing to open up the marriage?

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries. I wasn't saying you wouldn't be happier just that sometimes it's easy to imagine that something will fix everything when times are tough. In your heart you probably know.
    I agree with your thoughts for your son. Sometimes there isn't one solution which is perfect you just have to go with the best one there is.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  17. whistle1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "To be fair he has always known im Bi and that I miss being with a woman and although I never told him about my crush he’s not stupid and it wouldn’t have been hard to work out. I really want to be with a woman but at the same time I don’t want to cheat.

I do feel we have other issues unrelated to sexuality that are unresolved. Im not sure if counselling could help with this.

I definitely won’t make any rash decisions and nothing will happen overnight. I just want to feel I’m going on the right direction, if that makes sense."

You've mentioned something very relevant - you have other issues unrelated to sexuality. I think the bi issue is just another brick in the wall (if I can steal from Pink Floyd). While I'm generally not the type to run to a counselor, I've never been married and had these issues. If you can simply sit down with your husband to discuss all the issues, that would be ideal. If you can't, then perhaps the counseling would be best.

You wanting to make sure you're moving in the right direction makes complete sense.

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  18. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is your friend you are with now or someone different?

I’m glad you are happier :slight_smile:

Yes, I know i need to consider seriously what life would be like without my husband. I need to sort my finances out as a priority in any case.

19. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Nick

I know our stories are similar(ish) and I always value your opinion!

The above point I think is very true, at times I’ve been completely blinded by my attraction to some women.

I’m very jealous of your new intimate friend :slight_smile: I think there is also a big emotional aspect to my attraction to women and I have to get to know them a bit before I really feel any attraction (not the case with men).

Yes, I think I should think about seriously discussing opening up the marriage if that’s something my husband is willing to try. I think if he thought it would make me happier and also allow me to re-explore my sexuality he may be willing. I’m unsure how to go about finding the right person. I really don’t want to cheat and feel like if I don’t address the issue it’s likely to end up happening sooner or later.

I know I would be giving up a lot if I split up with my husband and I don’t want to do something I’d later regret. I would like to live my life with more honestly and integrity than I feel I’m currently doing.

20. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are probably right regarding wanting to find some kind of magic solution. I think that’s what I’m finding difficult - I know whichever option I choose will be hard and that there is no easy answer.