1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you think homophobes exist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lgbtqpride, Dec 9, 2018.

1. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of it might be instinctive narrow-mindedness. It's very easy to pretend that heterosexuality is the only option, but this isn't a "perfect" world where everyone fits into that box. Sexuality is in fact a very complicated thing. I think for some people, defending heterosexuality as the only option might serve the role of creating rules and order in a chaotic world, so it shields them from their fears. To get over that attitude, it takes maturity, an awareness of how gay people feel when they are discriminated against, and the understanding that homosexuality isn't actually harmful and gay relationships make people happy just like straight relationships.

In other cases, it's because of religious reasons. That can be harder to argue against because people don't easily change their religious views.

2. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This world is so hateful.Humans are sexist,racist and homophobic.Humans hate everyone. Humans hate their own species.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because religion drills it into their head that it's somehow "wrong" to be LGBT. I don't think I've ever encountered a homophobe who didn't, at their core, hate the LGBT community just because their religion told them to.

(Just to be clear, this is not meant to be a vilification of all religious people. I know not all religious folk are like that.)

#23 ThatBorussenGuy, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah not all religious folk, just the vast majority.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's more than just religion. Many religious people don't hate sexual minorities.

I think it's more about social order and fear. The people who are fearful are fearful of a takeover. The percentage of LGBT people won't go up that much. It hasn't gone up much at all. It has just become more visible. These haters also fear themselves. Since there are few pure Kinsey 0s and Kinsey 6s, the thought of even being attracted to someone of their own gender really shakes up their worlds. Some of the most homophobic men I've met were less masculine by society's standards than those who would be thought more masculine. Interesting how that works.

6. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think homophobia is easy to figure out.

1. Stereotypes,
    2. Taking things out of context,
    3. Not liking change.

Stereotypes as in homophobes thinking all gay people are feminine, all gay people are annoying, all bisexual people are promiscuous, thinking lesbians are "doing it for the male attention" which none are really true. of course some gay people will be feminine, but thats not exactly the majority. Just average people living their average lives. We have all heard of the stereotypes and how annoying they are. I feel like people of older ages believe them a lot more than younger people. I have never understood why people believe stereotypes, but thats what i get when i ask people why they are homophobic/biphobic/any "phobic" Just like every straight person isnt the same, not all gay/lesbian/bi people are.

Taking things out of context, especially religious text, i find is very prominent in homophobia. People like to take things like the bible literally only when they want to hate. The bible in the first testament, used to say bad things about women. Those things are mostly not present in our society today. (not mentioning any specifics because such topics are very sensitive) I dont exactly believe in god, but if he created everyone the way he wanted, then god hates no one. (a lot of homophobes like to ignore the parts in the bible where it says "love thy neighbor" which means be nice to everyone, im pretty sure.) I mean, people say "god loves everyone" and "love how god created you" but... if god loves everyone, that includes gay people and other people in the lgbt+ community. People love to hate.

People who dont like change do not realize that gay people have been around since the dawn of time. Example of this is people who say "i just didnt see any gays before ____, and now they are everywhere. its society/a phase/crazy people"

^bit of an essay, just wanted to explain my points.

7. Jon Sol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think homophobes are the same as those that are racists or sexist or just your run of the mill bullies. People have their own fears and insecurities and they are taught/just feel more secure attacking others. Why is there fat shaming? Why are people belittled for their religion or how much they can afford? People get attacked for so many things that all i can figure is that it's because they are different. "i hope people don't notice i'm a muslim." "I hope people see how sensitive i am." How poor, i am." That my eyes are brown." "that i'm black." "That i like men." I feel haters hate because they're afraid people will see them. Just them. I mean, it scares the crap out of me.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many people don't want to accept that most LGB folks are average people living average lives. You really have to dig down deep to find traits that are that different. You have some gay and bisexual men who are mechanics, professional athletes, or drive trucks and who don't have much at all in the way of effeminate traits. Some heterosexuals don't want to look at this because then they couldn't sling mud.

I've always found hypermasculine types who are almost totally gay to be enigmatic. I think that many can't relate to women that well and wouldn't enjoy their company. It's probably good for all parties involved that they're in male dominated occupations.

9. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Homophobes hate love