1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close friend died, had a crush on him. How do I get over this?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Roscoe S, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Roscoe S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone, Roscoe here.
    (I'm bad with words and emotions, but I'll do my best here.)

I had a good friend that had some serious health issues. He was bullied all his life for being overweight, and I did the best I could to support him. Eventually, I developed a small crush on him. Nothing too major, but still a crush nonetheless. As someone with overattachment issues, magnitude doesn't matter.

He died about 5 weeks ago due to a heart attack. His obesity got the best of him at age 16...

Since then, I've been having dreams with him, especially recently. Whether it's a simple Instagram DM response, or his spirit being with us in school while another close friend and I hang out with him in the halls. (As in we know he's gone, but his spirit still stays and hangs out with us). I have dreams where he overcomes obesity after death because his coffin was narrower than his body...

What the hell can I do to get over this?
    I miss him very much; we all do... But he's gone and I need to move on.
    I thought I was at peace after meditating on his death for a while, but I guess not...

Any suggestions welcome and highly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sad to hear of your loss and 16 is very young....is there no support/bereavement support at school or counselor service. EC is great but you may need some face to face support.....
    It's difficult to move on from many situations in life but death is particularly difficult so please seek support..

3. Roscoe S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, Rade. Thanks for your response. I already visited the counselor at school, and he didn't really tell me much besides "everyone copes differently". I don't have access to other counseling services at this time. :frowning2:

4. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in the UK anyone can tap into national bereavement support by phoning a number, I've referred people in my working life, is there such a thing where you are? Sorry I should have looked what country you live....

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely hard to lose someone like that at a young age and it's pretty difficult. If you need some space for yourself, you're allowed to have that. Whatever you're feeling is completely valid, and from the sounds of it, you miss him very dearly. It shows that you really cared for that guy and that shouldn't have to feel like you're just "moving on".
    Try your best to cope with what you're feeling and open up to someone about it. Grieving is a long process and it can be different for everyone, and there is some truth to that. The best advice I can give you is to go at your own pace, and no one should have to tell you what you're suppose to feel other than just being there for you. You can try to honor his memory in your own way if it helps you process your grieving.

6. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I can relate. At 19(last year), I lost a crush from hemorrhage. At first, I assumed she'd wake up in a few days after her surgery. Because of her surgery, I thought maybe she wouldn't wake up as the same person I knew. A month later, I got a text from her number saying she's gone.

She was a friend of mine. She was a complicated person that she'd act like she hated me, then like me the next day. Sometimes I'd feel some kind of connection between us. Or it maybe it was my wishful thinking. I'd never know!

For the first week since her death, I cried everyday. When I stopped doing that, I assumed I was over her and the situation. I was wrong. She'd constantly pop up in my head, and incessantly wonder what was the thing between us, and whether there was something at all. I called LGBT youth help line and got some consolation there. Whatever I did to ease my pain was never enough. I had to keep writing or telling how I felt somewhere. I felt very lonely because I felt even the people who know my story didn't understand completly either. I kept asking myself "What if...." and imagined the dates we could've gone, and how she would smell if I were to be in her arms. If she did like me, that is.

If there's one thing I learned from my experience, is that when you like someone, you have to go for it. AT LEAST make your feelings known to the person.

Right now, I'm mostly over the situation since it's been 1.5 years and I've found another person to crush on. I think I have a chance with her by 90% so I'm looking forward to that. There's still a part of me that makes me keep comparing this new girl to her, but I try not to let the memory of her hurt me now. I have considered vising her grave, but at this time, vising her would bring up bad memories.

For me, it took long to let her go because of the way I lost her. If I had been rejected in person, I'd have less regrets because I'd know for sure that she doesn't like me. It seems the easiest way to rise above it would be finding new love, although old memories would surface occassionally.

Visit his grave, and write letters to him. Tell your story to someone who would geuinely care. It may not put an end to your emotions but it could make you feel less alone. Don't force yourself to get over him because you won't unless you feel like you did. Cherish the memories of him, eat ice cream, do things you enjoy, and let time pass. Let yourself feel the emotions you have because if you keep holding it back, it backfires.

Loss of her was a very meaningful experience for me, although devastating. Feel free to write on my wall if you want to talk. I hope you get this through well.

#6 Nightlight, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Silveroot likes this.
  7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry for your loss. The truth is if someone means a lot to you, you'll never be 100% over it. With time you'll pick yourself up and resume living, but a part of you will always miss them.

Obviously the school councillor isn't doing a good job. Are there other councillors there that you could go to, or just the one? Do your parents have work insurance that would cover some sort councilling (even if you aren't out to them, they don't need to know you had a crush on him).

Even though my mom didn't die in the hospice, awhile after she died the hospice phoned and talked about the different services they provide for people that have recently lost someone. Maybe hospices there would offer similar services?

If you and him had mutual friends, they'd be perfect to talk to as they've almost gone through the exact thing you have. One thing I found scary is how many people I know could relate to me because they have also lost a parent (and many more people who have lost a grandparent). Just talking to people who can relate can be comforting. Never underrate how beneficial it is to talk about how you feel about anything.

Somethings that can be hit or miss helping you feel better:
    *(If it hasn't already happened) going to the funeral might help give you a sense of closure.
    *Sometimes I flip through old pictures. It helps trigger old memories. The older pictures remind me that I only saw a part of her life, she did many things and lived a relatively crazy and full life.
    *I know its probably weird, especially since my mom isn't technically buried yet, but if I'm having a bad day I'll drive out to where she's going to be buried. It's a 20 minute drive out of town (the drive itself can be therapeutic) and it gives me a sense of closure and "connectedness"

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Roscoe S.....Your situation is similar to mine. When I was about 19 I met a boy who became my friend, my fwb, my boyfriend and my soul mate. We were inseparable for around two years when he became sick and passed away. Before he passed, his parents found out that we were far more than just friends. The last time I came to see him they told me to "Get my faggot ass off their property". I never saw him again, didn't get to go to his funeral and have no idea where he was buried. That trauma caused me to turn my back on my sexuality and lead to 41 years of depression and self-hate trying to convince myself that I could be straight. It was so bad that I suppressed the memories of the time I had with Tim completely. Finally accepting myself, I came out here on empty closets in December of 2014. About a year ago I started having dreams about my time in college...they were extremely graphic and, unlike most dreams that never seem to finish, these dreams always did finish...completely. Around three months after the dreams started I had the realization that they were actually memories that I had suppressed. I wasn't upset about being sexually active with guys...it was totally consensual, but I was disturbed that I had suppressed the dreams. My therapist was a huge help in dealing with this and I actually found that I was glad that I had this experience and such a wonderful boyfriend. The dreams continued and I eventually found out that Tim had died and that his parents had thrown me out. I was devasted again just as I had been when it happened. Now I knew why I had suppressed the memories of that time in my life. It was very difficult. I would have a dream of being with Tim and it was wonderful...until I woke up to remember that he was gone. It got so bad that I would dread going to sleep at night, wishing for just a little more time with Tim but knowing that he had died so long ago. I posted all of this here on empty closets. One of my EC friends; @Ronfindsit, had gone through something similar when he was young. Like me, he had never had the chance to say goodbye. A therapist suggested that he think about writing a letter to his long-lost partner, telling him all the things that he wanted to say, but never had the chance. He did that and it helped him a lot. He suggested that I write a letter to Tim. It was so very difficult, but I did it. I wrote to Tim and said all those things that I wished I could have said and finally was able to tell him goodbye. I still have the dreams occasionally, but I no longer am heart-broken when I wake to reality. I'd like to suggest that you think about writing a letter to your friend. Say all those things that are in your heart...say goodbye to him.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Silveroot, Ronfindsit and Nightlight like this.
  9. Roscoe S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone, I want to thank you for all the amazing advice and personal accounts you have given. I deep
    appreciate you all and the time you put into helping out. It means a lot to me! I love you all.

Meander and Nightlight like this.