1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad hit me and my mom verbally abused me ( this might trigger some people)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cas girl, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    so this happened last night.
    My mom’s friend called her and asked her for my hand in marriage to her son.
    My mom kept making excuses like the horoscope won’t match extra. When she ended the call, I asked why didn’t explicitly state that I want to clear civil service examination and I am not interested in marriage.
    She told me to mind my own business and not to interfere in elders matter. when I told her that she was discussing my future, she told me not to overreact. ( but was I ?)

My dad had gone out and he returned home while this was happening. I was already upset coz that morning he was saying demeaning things about my intellectual capabilities when I didn’t answer his not clearly phrased question. Told me that even though his query was unclear I should have determined the correct meaning and answered appropriately.

Both the events were running in my head and I started crying. So I went to my bedroom and shut the door. I just wanted to it all out. My dad called me at that time but I didn’t answer coz I wanted to be left alone. My mom cane to check on and found that I was crying. My dad told me to stop crying and come out of the room.
    But I was upset so I refused to do so. He got mad and threw the tv remote at my head. It hit my ear. I screamed and my mom started shouting at my dad because of it. Then she blamed the whole thing on me, said it was my fault he threw it coz I was the one crying in the first place.

I have Gerd so I have to eat every two hours. My dad used this and said all I am capable of is only eating and getting fat.

My mom then started going on about how I am always destroying her peace of mind, that I am selfish, I don’t think about their place in the society and she is going to tell everyone that she doesn’t have a daughter when they ask her. In a fit of anger I told to also say that I am lesbian that’s why I don’t want to get married. She said she won’t bring such shame to the family and she rather not have a daughter than a lesbian one. Guess she never accepted me when I said I was bisexual. Or she thought I will eventually just marry a guy.

My dad was happily watching funny videos while this was happening, like he never hit in the first place.
    Then my mother went on a rant about how she won’t impose such a burden (me) on such a good and lovely boy, it will be sin to get me married to him. It will doing him injustice. That i will starve for love and I will be desperate for a husband and then will realize my mistakes.

I am going to stop here. I don’t want to recount the whole night. I am sorry if this affects anyone but I don’t have anyone else to talk to. My phone is not with, so I could not contact my friends.

Was I overreacting? Was I wrong to state my opinion? I have lost hope that my life will get better. With no job in sight in near future, I don’t know what to do.

Sorry once again if this affected anyone.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know much about Indian culture, but this definitely wasn't your fault in any way and I'm really sorry you had to go through that. This is child abuse and domestic violence by American standards. I'm not sure what else to say but I'm here for you if you need to talk to someone.

3. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am 25, so not a child anymore. In Indian culture, the girl can’t leave the house i.e stay on her own unless it’s for studies or career ( even then hostels are “ recommended “ because that what “good family girls” will do). So I can’t leave my house. If I leave, then it is me announcing to the whole wide world of my parents failure in child raising.
    At 25, you are expected to get married coz it is “right time “ to procreate ( which I can’t, I think, I am not sure ) and build a family. My family being a prominent one in my community, you can think of me as a prized pony. Now my parents are trying to find the right bidder ( see dowry system, more prominent the girl family less the dowry, opposite for boys. ) as soon as I turned 25, the show started. I am so sick and tired.

Sorry about the rant. My parents are not talking to me and it is getting to me. My mother birthday is tomorrow so I am feeling guilty at the same time I am angry. It’s tiring.

Thank you for taking your time and your concern is very much appreciated.

4. Chewbaca

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don’t know much about Indian culture either, but I can say you weren’t in the wrong and it’s not your fault. Do you have any lgbt friends? Or do you trust anyone(literally anyone) enough to tell them the issues you’ve been having at home and with your sexuality? It can even be a mailman or teacher.

We’re all caring people on this forum so you can talk to us any time you need someone to talk to but it helps to have that physical person. I had a therapist who I loved so much because she was the exact opposite of my mom and everything I wish my mother had been. Part of that was her job to be that person but she really is just a beautiful human. Is there anyone who will accept you no matter what? If you can find that person, they’ll get you through some tough shit. Even if it’s just a small beam of hope, it’s something to keep you going until you can get the hell out of that house. Trust me, I know toxic families can destroy your self worth, will to live, and your view of live.

I love you and I know for a fact that I’m not the only one who does. Even if those other people who love you are all on here, know that distance may not be in our favor but that doesn’t stop the fact that we want you to make it, succeed in life, and have all the love you want. You deserve it.

Also, some movies/shows that I watch when I’m going through rough times are:

•Goodwill Hunting(movie)- about a boy who’s a genius at math, but his past with being in foster care holds him back from being great. Robin Williams actually plays his therapist. Has a happy ending

•Breakfast Club(movie)- 5 kids in detention who are in there for different reasons. They realize that while they all come from different families and walks of life, they’re all similar in a way.

•School of Rock(movie)- Hilarious!! This guy(jack black) steals the identity of a substitute teacher and creates a rock band with his students

•Perks of Being a Wallflower(movie)- This freshman who struggled with mental health severely last school year and still does finds his group of friends that accept all of who he is.

•Grey’s Anatomy(tv show)- Medical drama show, but you’ll fall in love with the characters.

•The Office(tv show)- Steve Carrell is hilarious.

**•Steve Job’s Commencement speech he gives at Stanford(Youtube)-Gives hope that things will work out even if it doesn’t seem like it will. “You can’t connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking forward”

5. Chewbaca

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ** You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards"

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is your future, so i don't think you overreacted, based on what you said. Marriage is a personal thing, and should be decided only by you and your SO, not your and his/her parents.

However, if your parents are close minded, I don't think arguing with them is a good idea, especially if they are aggressive. Not because you are wrong or that it is your fault that this happened (it wasn't), but I think it is best to mitigate the possibility of these situations happening.

Have you considered moving out of your parents house? If you aren't financially independent yet, is there a possibility to start planning for that? You said career or studies may justify that, so maybe trying to find a job/study plan would be a good idea.

Maybe studying/working outside of your country or at least your area is a possibility? I'm not saying it is easy, but if you believe it would help you to get away from all of this, it is something you should consider.

I understand that culture is not an easy thing to ignore, but you shouldn't feel obligated to marry anyone just because society is telling you to, or because your parents will feel like they failed something. It is your life we are talking about - you should be the one to decide what makes you happy, not someone else. Directly fighting your parents may not be of much use, but you can start thinking about alternatives so you may create a plan to become independent.

Chewbaca, UMedusa and Silveroot like this.
  7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All I can say is that there is NO EXCUSE for your dad to hit you.

8. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

This is REALLY tough. I don't think you're overreacting, what happened was you feeling threatened and disempowered in the one place you were supposed to feel safe, in your own home.

People who bully and casually abuse others use this technique of making you feel like they know better than you what you need and at the same time minimize the impact their abuse has. This can lead you to doubt your own sanity and judgement and become dependent on them for everything. Don't let them get in your head like this. I know it's hard but it's possible.

I've lived with an unstable father for many years who nearly killed me in a few occasions. My mother and I were victims of his silent passive violence. Only with me his violence became physical. Everything else was this huge, mental and spiritual attack, silently killing us. But we eventually found the strength to face it all. My parents are now divorced.

Anyway, sorry if I made it about me, I wanted to say that I can relate to how bad something like this might feel. Do you think you might eventually be able to make your mother understand you?

What was done was done. You have to survive, things might get dangerous for you if you are not careful. I'm not saying to marry someone now but try to let this pass. If you make a bigger deal out of it things could get out of control. In the meantime, you need them to send you elsewhere and support you.

Be wise. Keep your wits with you.

May the gods be with you. Take care and stay safe.

Chewbaca likes this.
  9. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. My friend is asexual, but she is in Canada. She knows my home situation. But as I don’t have a phone at the moment, I can’t contact her.

Thank you for your love and Support. It means a lot.

10. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an exam this month. If I clear that, i would have stable job with 20k per month and additional benefits. I am preparing for the exam. But I am afraid I will not succeed. I have been searching for PGs and other accommodations. I have my aunt house if I have to leave.

Chiroptera and Silveroot like this.
  11. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know. But that’s Indian mentality to you. Fortunately my grandma agrees with me but she is powerless to do anything.

12. UMM ya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sooo sorry. You absolutely did NOT overreact. You are a strong independent woman even if it doesn’t always feel that way. I hope you continue to use this site until you find someone to talk to that is so important. Also it is wonderful there is already so much attention being brought to this very common issue. I wish you the best and if you ever need to talk my ears (eyes technacly) are open, hopefully along with everyone else here!

13. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No I didn’t make it about yourself. I am sorry you have to go through that. Shame on me for being selfish but I am grateful that you can empathize with me. My mom knows that my dad is wrong but if she fights him, he will turn violent towards her also. I was raised to fear my dad than fight him. My mom said that it was best way to survive.

He is actually good when he is not angry. I have free reign over my spendings and does some of my chores too. But he is a stereotypical Indian father when it comes to male female divide. That females are always inferior to males. Being a girl, I should listen to him. Now he is getting old, he should “hand me over” to another male.
    Puts too much stock on what people might say.

14. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you every much. I am grateful for your words and concern.

15. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would like to thank everyone for their concern and your support. When I posted this, I simply wanted to get it out of my chest. But seeing so many people reply to this ( even when they have seen me or known me personally) it actually humbles me. So thank you once again. It is one of many reasons I joined this site in the first place.

I have some good news. Though my mother thinks I am making a very big mistake making such a bad decision, she has agreed to stop planning my marriage. She said my father will also not interfere in this matter.

Now it is on me to acquire my dream and prove them that I was right to stand by my choices. Wish me luck everyone. And thank you all once again from the bottom of my heart.

UMM ya likes this.
  16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I was born and raised in the US, my family still retains a lot of Indian culture, which can be good and bad. One of the bad things is that Indian parents expect their children to do what they are told, even if they are educated adults. I suggest focusing all your energy on getting a job that can support you to live independently from your parents and their rules. This is the 21st century India, not when girls were marrying as teenage brides who stay at home.

Chiroptera likes this.
  17. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have another exam coming up in June 2019, I have collaborated with some people and have organized time tables and study groups for that exam. I am putting all my efforts towards clearing the exam. If I clear it, I will have 3 years training with stipend and lodging. I have also be posted in capital city. So fingers crossed for that.

resu and Silveroot like this.