1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the verge of quitting my job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've often spoken on these forums about how I am mostly satisfied with my work life, but this weekend I've sunk.

Basically, it looks like I'm only going to have 2 days off between now and Christmas. That's just two days I have a chance to go out and shop for those last few presents I need and make preparations for when family come over. And I'm feeling very pissed off about that.

My manager and deputy manager both booked holidays this month, back to back, and I'm going to have to cover through those two weeks. I've already done a shit load of over time these past few months, because after our previous manager left, it was just me and the deputy running the place for a whole month while the new manager finished her training. And she's got time off coming up that I have to cover.

I've not had any days off since 20th November and my next day off will likely be 17th December.

I am going to talk to my manager about this at the earliest opportunity and hopefully we can come to some sort of agreement where I get the time off that I need, I just wanted to bring this up on this forum in case any body on here had any advice.

I am aware that it's important to book festive unavailability off as early as possible, but I didn't actually want any holiday, I just wanted my regular days off, which are completely gone, and my managers have not thought about how to accommodate that.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The advice I would offer is to do as you intend to do and talk to your manager. If I remember correctly, you work in retail, so it's probably the busiest time of year for business, but that doesn't alter the fact that you have a basic requirement for time off. It may even be the case that your employer has to give you the time off to comply with working time directives (you would need to check on that).

You have clearly been flexible in working overtime and covering jobs, so you can also make a case from that point of view. Hopefully it will not reach the point where you have to quit.

LostInDaydreams and Devil Dave like this.
  3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. Yes, quitting does seem a bit drastic, but with Christmas now looming and knowing that I've worked so hard and the thought of having a crap Christmas has really gotten to me. I feel like I deserve to have some relaxation. Any other time of year I wouldn't be too bothered about covering holidays, but this is xmas, and a lot of the other staff and customers agree with me that I need some down time, so I do need to stand up to my managers about this. Hopefully it can be resolved amicably.

I've always been quite bad at keeping track of my hours and holidays because before I started working full time in retail I was self employed and I was always making my own hours, so I think that has made me a bit vulnerable and that's probably why I've gotten to this stage.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had that same kind of talk with managers before. Like I get it we are busy and the OT is awesome, but I do have things to do during normal business hours. And in my case it isn't like most banks have enough parking to make a quick stop in an 18 wheeler.

So just keep it professional, but point out you do need some time off to get some things taken care of.

Devil Dave likes this.
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is definitely worth trying to see if you can get a couple to a few days off. It does sound like it that you are 'overdue' for a break. I would suggest that you think about what you would like to say before speaking with your manager, and if need be outline what you would like to say. This will give you the chance to make sure that the conversation starts and remains on track. Sometimes, when we ask for things during a difficult conversation, we start using phrases or words that might not be the best choice in expressing what we would like to get across.

One thing I would encourage you to do for next year is to earmark your vacation time, and to take your holidays. As you have noticed, you are making yourself a bit vulnerable to missing out on time off, or to being asked to be around while others are on vacation. If you can, keep track of your hours as well, as this can help in making a case for taking time off in the future.

Devil Dave likes this.
  6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, this is some good advice.

I wasn't even asked if I could cover these holidays, the hours were basically thrust upon me. It is also my fault for not keeping track of things and planning out time off in advance, but all I really want are my usual days off, not any holidays. Frankly I think its really bad to book holiday in December which is the busiest time of year, and some companies don't allow it (which is a good idea, I think) Unfortunately, our shop is open 7 days a week, so its not a job where I'm guaranteed to have every Sunday off like some places do, and I'm one of only three key holders, so I'm needed to lock up.

My manager's choices are that they can call someone from another branch to cover me for a few days, or they can just put in the over time themselves like I have. This would be the ideal outcome.

7. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way. Worked hard all year (done more overtime then most others) but this year we've been told no holidays in December and where we use to work half a day Christmas Eve with the rest of the year off we now have to work. So I get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off then back to work 7am the day after. The yard manager however has been allowed to have two weeks off. Christmas week and the week after. It's really put a dampener on my Christmas and I'm already gonna lose 3 days holiday because I haven't be able to take them. I hate the job anyway and just want to get out of there. Just can't seem to find anything else.

Advice wise I agree tray talking to you manager. It does seem like you are being dumped on.

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catastrophe averted - I spoke to my manager first thing today when I started my shift, and she has arranged for an employee from her previous shop to cover me while I take some time off. She was already aware that I had been doing a lot of overtime, so she was very understanding, which is a relief, because I wasn't sure how she was going to react (it's difficult when you have a new manager who you are not used to dealing with)

So I will not be resigning just yet. I do need to work on keeping track of my hours and holiday time, though. That can be my news year's resolution!

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that you were able to speak with your manager and that she was understanding.

I think you would have a good new year's resolution. It could help you in avoiding burn out as well. Wanting to leave your job because you are feeling overworked, or short on time to do the things you want and need to do in your personal life, can be signs of burn out. Taking days off here and there might help to feel rested at first, but without a longer period say a week or two weeks of having a break, even the 'regular' days off can feel as if they are not enough.

Glad it all worked out though. :slight_smile:

Devil Dave likes this.
  10. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it turns out that I definitely did use up all of my holiday time for this year, but it does not feel like it with the amount of overtime I've done. Even when it was the old manager running the place, I was working long weeks to cover her holidays and for the deputy manager. That's the trouble of working in a shop that is understaffed and open 7 days a week.

11. smurf

Seems like you got what you needed, but I would strongly advice to fight for what you are worth.

If you are picking up hours like crazy, dependable, and a good worker then you can also have your own boundaries.

So while you guys are open 7 days a week, make it a personal rule that you will not work more than 5 days in a row. Simply don't take the shifts and say "sorry, can't do that day". If the turnover in your store is this crazy, then I can also guarantee they will rather give you a day off every 5 days than see you walk away.

And while that is scary if you don't have enough saved up to change your job, you also need your managers to know that you know your worth. For example, your managers who already booked their holidays know that if you quit right now then they would have to cancel their holidays to work the hours. Fight for your time off man. No excuse for them overworking you the way they are doing it.

Devil Dave likes this.
  12. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will flat out refuse any more overtime in future. I've done enough. If they want to sack me they can. And with the amount of overtime I have done, I can certainly afford to quit my job and spend time looking for something else. I'd rather it not get unpleasant, and my new manager is doing what she can to make things better for me, so I'll give them a chance.

smurf likes this.