1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are energy drinks dangerous?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m 18 years old and I don’t drink energy drinks very often. I really like the taste of them but I know I shouldn’t have it so I limit myself. I have one can every day before work. So this has only been 3 days per week recently, if my hours get increased then I might drink them more often. I try not to push it though. It’s something I look forward to because I hate going to work so I stop by the vending machine in the morning and get one. The cans are 16 fl oz too, sometimes I don’t finish the whole thing. The one I drink is Monster which has L-carnitine, caffeine (80mg), taurine and B vitamins in it. There’s 27mg of sugar too.

I don’t have any adverse reactions. The only thing is sometimes my hands start trembling but I think that’s only because I stand at a counter all day and I can’t move around to burn off energy. And I still drink a lot of water, like I try to drink at least 1.6L especially if I know I’m having an energy drink on the day.

So I’m just kind of worried that this’ll cause health problems in the future if I keep drinking them 3x per week. It’s only while I’m at this job too, my next job probably won’t have a vending machine lol.

Is it dangerous? Also just as an edit; I looked it up and a cup of coffee has 40mg of caffeine so it’d be like two coffees.

#1 Spot, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    UMedusa likes this.
  2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Spot,

Well, i'm not a doctor, so i can't give you 100% precise advice. It's always a good idea to go see your doctor and ask.

Based on what I know, i think it would be better if you reduce the amount you are drinking, instead of thinking about increasing them. To start, without considering any other ingredients, these things are "sugar bombs", and that would be enough to consider them a problem. Furthermore, while i can't precisely say if it is safe to drink that amonut of taurine and caffeine per day, it would be healthier to avoid these.

Of course, there are people who drink lots and lots of coffee everyday, and there are people who drink much more than 3 cans of energy drinks every week. However, it's not because someone is unhealthier than you that you should consider these behaviors as a "safe threshold".

So, in resume, while I think you should go see a doctor for more precise advice, I think it is safe to say that reducing the amount of sugar, caffeine and taurine you are drinking is a good idea. Even if it isn't dangerous in a short period of time of your life (i'm not saying it isn't, i don't know), I think maintaining this for a long period is probably not a great idea.

Furthermore, besides the physical problems, there appears to be another issue here.

If you are constantly looking forward to drink that, and especially considering that sugar is addictive, you should be careful about developing an addiction to it. Trying to use an unhealthy food or a drink as a mechanism to compensate the bad feelings you have towards your work may not be a good idea, because of addiction.

Spot and Mihael like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with energy drinks is that the amount of caffeine in them can be way above the safe, legally regulated level, because of a loophole in federal regulations for beverages. Basically, any "naturally occurring" caffeine, such as that occuring in various herbal supplements often added to energy drinks, does not have to be disclosed or counted in the amount of caffeine. So it's possible to consume more than is safe or advisable fairly easily.

Additionally, caffeine is addictive, and used in combination with amino acids that stimulate energy production, they can put a strain on your adrenal system.

Finally, if you have a history of addiction in your family, especially to stimulants (meth, cocaine, etc), then consuming energy drinks is a bigger risk because it is acting on the same pathways that street drug stimulants act on, and this, in turn, can open the door to cravings and risks for use of more powerful stimulants.

I personally don't consume energy drinks. I doubt much of anyone would argue they are in any way remotely healthy. So if it were me, I'd avoid them.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recommend severely against them.

Spot and UMedusa like this.
  5. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You can do worse. You can do better. For great taste, try something without sugar and less caffeine and see if it works enough for you.

RainbowGreen, Mihael and Spot like this.
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought I'm a caffeine junkie (I was genuinely addicted to strong coffee at some point), but hands trembling happened to me maybe once or twice! When I drank much more than usual. It's definitely not a good sign. You should feel tired after all day of work, not like you didn't burn your energy. When you are feeling bad, you also shouldn't be drinking caffeine, because it can make you more anxious and can make you feel oversensitive or act impulsive. Also, getting addicted would mean that when you change jobs and there won't be a vending machine, you'll have a problem.

I agree with what has been said above, sugar is also unhealthy. And using food and/or substances to cope emotionally isn't a good solution.

So dangerous? Probably not from what I observe, but caffeine and sugar cause short term problems as well as long term health problems.

RainbowGreen, Spot and UMedusa like this.
  7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy them in moderation. In hot weather, I may have one in the morning, instead of a cup of coffee, some days.

The Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice ones are quite nice.

But as of late, I have mainly been drinking Yeba Mate, vs. coffee, tea, of fizzy drinks.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got addicted and now I am blood pressure meds for life. Combined with stress, you are destroying your nervous system. Cut it gradually by switching to flavored water.

RainbowGreen and Spot like this.
  9. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Slow down on the caffeine.
    As a caffeine addict myself, it can have several adverse effects, maybe not in a couple weeks but over a period of time.
    I suffered from insomnia and the caffeine didn't help.
    The sugar content is even worse.

How about switching to green tea?

10. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am diabetic. I was drinking way too much pepsi and coke a cola. I now drink healthier drinks with much less sugar and no caffeine. I might not have become diabetic in the last year if I had stayed away from the pop. I would think that you want to stay healthy. And I have faith that you have your own best interest at hand. Consider trying to not drink a monster drink one time you go into work and see what that is like. Just a suggestion.

RainbowGreen likes this.
  11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Green tea still has caffeine. There are many excellent herbal teas that are caffeine free. Rooibois is one that a lot of people seem to like who are switching from coffee. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Good Earth Sweet and Spicy, decaf version.

Caffeine is the most widely used drug in the world. Many can use it without serious adverse effects, but best to avoid entirely if you can. Once you're off it for a couple of months, your body will readjust and you'll have more natural energy levels, without the need for artificial stimulants.

12. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually have a pre workout before I go to the gym in the morning. Gives me the boost I need for the workout and the day.

I am also not a morning person, so I need some sort of a boost.

I’ve maybe had a few energy drinks in my lifetime (I’m 22). All I know is that they contain a shit ton of sugar, which is why I stayed away from them in the first place.

QueerTransEnby likes this.
  13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if we will look back on energy drinks (and perhaps even soda?) one day like we do now on cigarettes, cocaine...

They may not seem that bad compared to other things, but the caffeine content is high enough that you will develop a substantial resistance if you consume them regularly. Eventually you can be like I was 1-2 years ago, drinking 3-4 per day and still feeling tired (granted, I'm sure working 80 hours per week was a reason there too).

Just ween yourself off them now. The longer you go the harder it will be to remove them from your life completely. You're not too high up in consumption yet (just 3 per week?), so cold turkey could potentially work. Even so I'd recommend going little by little. 3 per week for a few weeks, then 2, then 1, then switch to coffee, etc.

I'd say feel free to stop at coffee (preferably black/just milk - no sugar is always better!), though I'd be curious what an expert would have to say on it. If nothing else, as long as you don't sugar it up, it's infinitely better than energy drinks. And much easier to ween yourself off of, in my experience.