1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans test saying I didn't begin my transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so this is going to be a stupid thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm browsing the web wihle doing homework assignments at the same time, and I thought I will look for some gender test out of curiousity, it's been a long time since I had interest in them. And google spit out this SAGE gender identity test and I took this. It's a modification of COGIATI that takes into account FtM persons as well. I was surprised that it stated that my behaviour is masculine, previously I got androgynous. At some point I was pretty obsessed with such tests :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think I was looking for what was going on with me, and nothing seemd to fit, which made looking for an answer all the more frustrating. I took this test (and other tests) many many times, lol. The test always said that I have a male brain, so maybe I liked taking it, because it gave a sense of acknowledgement to what I was going through. It also always told me I'm a crossdresser and it made me happy, I think. Anyway, this test said also that I look androgynous, which might be true. And it said that I am a "candidate" for gender reassignment who hasn't began it, and it made me feel off, because I would rather consider myself "in or post transition", because I came out, I asked people to use a masculine name for me, I consider it my middle name and this test asked for whether your middle name is masc or fem, I wear masculine clothes and it asked about it too, so, like, how am I not in transition or post? It even said that I behave like a dude! I get that I might not get "post transition" if they considered "full transition" to be HRT + SRS, but? Idk. Why not "in transition" if I do all these things? Yeah, stupid thing to be bothered about but whatever , lol.

GreenRun likes this.
  2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe this test equated physical kind of dysphoria with transiton? But then, why wouldn't it consider me a crossdresser? Or maybe it's that I'm not all crazy about gender, but feel moderately about it? Or that I don't have much "gender conflict" any more? Because, oh well, I did an awful lot about it.

GreenRun likes this.
  3. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually took the test last week and got a crossdresser, but it also said that I was very androgynous as far as my brain and everything. The latter I completely agree with, I feel very in the middle. I just kinda dress however I want, which I guess winds up being crossdressing according to this test, but I really dress much more androgynously, I like the mix of masculine and feminine things. Oh well, these things really should be for fun and not for hard analysis anyways. I've taken other tests multiple times in a row and gotten completely different results, placing me almost everywhere on the gender spectrum if I take them all together. It's a little fun to see what the internet comes up with, though.

#3 GreenRun, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Mihael likes this.
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but I notice that such things bother me and honestly I think my reaction is worth examining, because it's strange, rationally speaking, I know the test might be utter BS. I feel like maybe it's worth it to pay it a bit of attention.

And I took multiple tests and they have a tendency to tell me that I'm cis, it's so frustrating! Okay, I might not be a trans man, whatever, but I definitely and firmly don't feel female and being described as such, especially when my inside is being put in focus, feels very very off. I have a vagina, yes, that's a fact. I don't feel upset when someone states this fact, because it's a fact. It's nothing personal. However, any further implications on that ground are personal and bother me. And I have to put up with this because I apparently don't pass some narrow diagnostic criteria and I'm not in line with trans stereotypes. A thought appeared to me that I am a man, and maybe a non-binary man, but not trans :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: as stupid as it sounds.

GreenRun likes this.
  5. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally get what you're saying, these tests really bug me, too. I've been told a number of times that I'm cis just because I don't want to transition to being a guy and use he/him pronouns, they don't seem to understand that this isn't a binary! I'm AFAB, too, but the fact that I have a vagina means nothing as far as my gender, it just means that I have a vagina. That's it, nothing more. And just because I'm not on T doesn't mean that I'm a woman. These tests get on my nerves, and especially since I usually take this stuff when I'm already kinda down doesn't help me any, lol. But the gatekeeping in this stuff really sucks. "Well, you're a crossdresser because you like to wear pants instead of dresses, but you aren't seeking HRT and SRS so you're cis." It's way too oversimplified.

And that's doesn't sound stupid at all, I know a lot of people who identify as nonbinary men/women, and a some nonbinary people don't want to use the trans label. Personally, I don't use it too much because I feel like I'm not trans enough, even though I'm definitely not cis. Internal gatekeeping? Maybe. I'm just figuring out who I am, so maybe I'll use the label trans later on, who knows...

Mihael likes this.
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe that is the problem with those tests? I also take these tests when I'm tired or stressed and surfing the web is a way to relax for me. I search for all kinds of entertainment.

I'm not bothered when someone in meat space calls me a woman, I can't be offended when they refer to what they see. The way I see it is also, a lot of people see how you feel your gender as something personal, as feelings, and hence think it would be rude to touch this subject. I also don't want to talk about it with people I don't want to tell. I understand it. I'd rather someone would grab the default pronoun based on something impersonal, objective, and then move on to business, than question me about all kinds of vague existential thoughts I have. I'm also not bothered when someone calls me a he, because I seemed like a male to them. Whatever. Let's do what we were supposed to do. Apparently that makes me a woman?

But it does boher me when someone emphasises my sex in a more than superficial manner, and when they imply who I am based on this. I don't know, maybe a cis person would be offended by that too? But I am even more so offended, because this description is a very poor fit.

Maybe this is a question of how much you are willing to open up in front of strangers. Idk. The thing is, I like being called he and I feel like it is the right pronoun to use for me, however, I don't get carried away by this. Like I said, I'm not willing to have my gender under discussion in all sorts of casual situations. We're friends? Sure, I can discuss it, everyone discusses femininity and masculinity with their friends, just like all kinds of feelings. I do that too. But not on every step. EC is such a space to be friendly and emotional... hence I say that I like to be called he. Big deal. But I definitely don't fel like the salesperson in the grocery shop is something I care about. So it's not even that I don't have that sort of feelings. I just have distance to it.

Recently I even feel like transitioning might be a good idea, because even with everything I've done, the first impression might ruin it or make people assume that I'm a cisgender woman, and it's just meh. However, probably I feel about it similarily as about pronouns, I don't take first impressions personally and it's not the only area in which I have a problem with them. For example, I seem younger than I am. And I don't seem like my occupation, because I don't fit the stereotype about it. I also don't come across as clever, because I don't like to brag how much I know and I have "stupid" hobbies just like everyone else. And a lot of other people have a similar problem.

GreenRun likes this.
  7. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Short and simple answer: Those tests are outdated and meant to generate specific narrow results, not exactly ones that fit the wider LGBT experience. I've played with them too, and you almost always get a different response. Just brush them off. No test is going to tell you who you are.

As for transitioning, there is no way for the test to determine that you have already transitioned. It can only tell you that you are male minded, FtM, strongly enough that you would be a candidate for transition. But it can't tell you you've already transitioned. It just assesses your brain, comfort levels, sexuality...yada yada yada and makes a generalised response.

#7 Sebby45, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    GreenRun and Mihael like this.
  8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I just have a problem with that dysphoria thing. I mean I even heard it from a psychotherapist, but I guess this was just lack of knowledge on her part. She just asked me if I feel bad about my body and I said that no I feel fine and then she was trying to convince me that I’m a woman, shouldn’t call myself a man and kept on telling me what parts I have as if I was not aware and kept on telling me that I should identify with being a woman because parts and this is stereotypes... But hello, this is what being trans is about! At least for me. And the world doesn’t care about ideologies, men and women differ, that’s a fact.

I can’t tell what it is like in meat space, but in the internet I stumbled upon people who say that trans = uncomfortable in your body. And they imply either that I must dislike my body or that I’m not trans if I don’t. They seem to follow the notion that psychological gender doesn’t exist, which is just... well, they are wrong in my opinion :wink:

I also feel like... hey, since I’m not suiscidal and severely dysmorphophobic, I should tolerate what I’m not fond of? What the heck? I might not display it in a dramatic manner or lose sight of other things in life, but I feel male and function and feel better better when I’m recognised as such.

Just typing it out...

GreenRun likes this.
  9. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took the test and it asked me about how I'd feel about being pregnant. Honestly I never thought of it really before, but since the test mentioned it, I'd love the idea of being pregnant lol!

Mihael likes this.
  10. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just took it. The questions seemed to be oddly chosen for the most part. It said I was predominantly feminine (very true), but appeared masculine (not from what I'm told). It said my brain processed things in an androgynous manner (umm, seems pretty girly to me), and that I socialize in a feminine manner (I agree). Then it said I believe I have serious conflicts about my gender identity (don't know where they came up with that one -- I don't). The analysis said "male to female transsexual who is a serious candidate for Gender Reassignment Surgery." They got the first part right, but not interested in surgery -- not "real" enough for me. Anyway, I don't think much of this test -- just my humble opinion.

Mandy

Mihael likes this.
  11. AaronV

I just took the test for the second time in my life. According to the test I am overall masculine, appear masculine, my brain process is masculine, I socialize in a masculine manner. It says I have a major conflict with my gender identity and that I'm post-operative FTM. I agree with most of what the test said, except for the major conflict, it's definitely not major anymore.
    Still, the test seems pretty outdated in my opinion and has a pretty narrow view about gender. Also, what difference does it make if I want to be represented by a lion or a wolf, lol If anything, this test shows if you adhere to social stereotypes.

Mihael likes this.
  12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agh. I keep on keep on interpreting every "don't think so much about stereotypes" as "you're not trans, you're just a tomboy". Only now did I realise that what everyone says is exactly the opposite. I had the same problem with my dad a few months ago. My dad was saying that I don't have to transition to be a guy amd I interpreted it as you don't have to be feminine to be a girl. What dad said was not to bother with stereotypes.