1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush on a straight girl / accepting my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elph, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone!

I need some advice from all of you... Well, I'm a 22 yo girl, in the closet and I've never told anyone about my sexuality. I love girls and lately, I've been struggling with this because I have a crush on a straight girl. Everytime I'm around her, I'm so so nervous and I barely talk to her, I can't even look at her in the eyes... I know that we can't be nothing but acquaintance and I don't know how to stop thinking about her or how to stop acting nervous when I see her.
    I wish I could talk about it with both of my best friends but I can't because I'm in the closet, they believe I love boys even If I've never dated one. I know they would be fully supportive and there for me but I stuggle to come out to them, maybe I am not ready yet... It's been five months since I started questioning my sexuality and I believe it's hard for me to understand that I'm not straight, I don't know why...

If you could give me some advice on how to feel better about this and some advice on how to start accepting myself, I would be really grateful!

Love, Elph

Nightlight and Nic2552 like this.
  2. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly how you feel. I fell in love with a straight girl and I can't get over her.

3. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got your back! This situation is so hard! I've been falling only for straight girls because I've never met girls who are also interested in girls until now.
    If you fall for a straight girl, knowing that she will never love you the same way as you love her is so painful :frowning2:

Meander and LoveisLov like this.
  4. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know right. I hate it so much

5. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Honestly I've had crushes growing up and didn't even know I had them, the more i denied who I was the worst I became, your going through a denial stage, every lesbians girl , gay or bi goes through, we all fell for a striaght , it's apart of the process of becoming who you are .. You'll get over her trust me , once you find a girlfriend...go to lgbt meetups, lesbians bars or even on here you might meet a girl. Then watch you'll forget about her.

Kayl likes this.
  6. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope so...

7. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the process of realizing that I wasn't straight, I also started to think about me in the past and aknowledged the fact that I had a lot of girl crushes (mainly on my teachers), I had those so-known butterflies that my friends are talking about when they mention having crushes on boys. I'm doing everything that I can to accept myself, I watch a lot of coming out videos, look at girls couples pictures, watch movies including the LGBT community and so on. But still, I guess as you said that I am in denial. The thing is, I'm also afraid to come out and in the end finding out that I'm straight! I know this is silly but as I've never had experience with guys, I'm telling myself that maybe I didn't find the right guy yet. My brain is completely messed up and I'm having a hard time accepting myself while having a crush on this girl... There is no such thing as lgbt meeting or lesbians bars where I live so it's even more complicated!

How did you start accepting yourself and go over this denial stage?

8. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I learned to accept myself after I told the girl I like I like her. Didn't go as planned but I still did it.

Elph and beenthrdonetht like this.
  9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is so true that the only thing that can get you over a girl (or boy) is another girl or boy. No bingeing Stranger Things, no mantra, no fascinating scientific/athletic/cooking challenge, no nothing.

10. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

As I've had crushes on straight girls and women quite a few times I relate with your pain and frustration. It is especially hard when you're in denial about them too, like I was.

Inner work has no instant buttons, no pay to work solutions. It's just that, slow painful and immensely rewarding work. You will do it, with the help of a trained psychologist if you feel so inclined. But the main work will be done by you.

11. LoveisLov

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The same happened to me and im not over her. Its hard. Ive never felt like this for someone i didnt know what love is until her and i cant get over her.

12. eismeister

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you have two separate things you're struggling with.

The first is your crush on a straight woman. Growing up, I always had crushes on older, straight women. My younger self definitely checked out a lot of moms lol. Straight women are such a trap; the unattainable. One straight woman I had a crush on kissed me once, and it took me years to get over it. It is difficult, but try to focus on yourself and finding other gay women. Nothing good will come out of it but heartache.

The second is a harder issue. Accepting yourself as gay. As someone who fought my own identity for 20 some years, I can tell you it won't be overnight. Try to meet others in the community, going to a meetup, etc. Try mapping out what you feel on paper, I found that helped a lot.

Good luck :slight_smile: it gets better.

Drizzle and Silveroot like this.
  13. Frenchfry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a similar situation except the girl I like is pan. We’re good friends she just doesn’t like me like that.

14. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys for all your answers!
    I had so many crushes on girls without acknowledging the fact that these were actually crushes, I thought it was only me wanting to be their best friends but as I questioned my sexuality, I've found out that it could be more than that... because looking at pictures of the same girl every night while smiling like an idiot or having butterflies when she posts something, I guess it's not just dreaming about being friends... This girl I'm crushing on is just so beautiful and nice and I wish we could talk to each other a lot but I know it will hurt me in the end... Right now, I can't think about someone else, she's a sunshine

Accepting the fact that I love girls is hard.. I guess that I am scared about what people will think about me and how my family will react... lately, I got accepted into an internship and in the company, I will be surrounded by woman only!
    I told my mom and she said "oh noo.. if there are no boys, it means that it gives you less opportunity to have a boyfriend, that would be a pity if you turn into a lesbian"
    She laughed by saying that but I was like "oh my god what does it mean? Did she really mean that?" And I couldn't say anything..
    Anyways, dealing with crushes and keeping secret your sexuality to the people you love the most is a struggle :frowning2:

Luria77 likes this.
  15. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How did your mom say this
    Was she joking seriously? She may already have an idea that you are gay. I would not think that would be a normal type response if she didn't have suspicions.

As for the straight friend thing - I think all lesbians have had a crush on their straight girl friends at one time or another. After I came out it all made sense - why I was so angry whenever my best friend would go out on a date..even back in grade school I would get jealous when one of my girl friends played with other girls. I remember being banned from her house at age 10 because I tried to kiss her (forgotten that until this past week)...

16. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    About my mom, I seriously wonder why she did say that... But it's not the first time that my family makes this kind of remarks! Last summer, we were going for a walk and my dad said "so, when are you going to date a boy?" And my mom replied "yeaaah when are you? Or a girl" and my dad said "oh no don't come back home with a woman"
    Also, this summer, I was with my mom and sister and we wanted to watch a movie, they chose Love Simon omg... I had already seen this movie before and I spent my time crying haha! With my mom and my sis, it was the weirdest thing ever, I was holding back tears, I was spooo nervous during the whole movie and I was waiting for some reaction from them but they didn't say anything!
    These last months, there were plenty of situations when my mom and my sister make remarks about my life involving girls, I don't know what to think about this!

About straight crushes, omg you got banned from her house?? Was it hard for you to accept that you love girls? I really want to accept it but I'm too scared of reactions, I'm not a 100% confident person and saying it to people I'm close with is scary:frowning2: I guess it will get better in time!

17. Frenchfry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think they know...

18. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It sounds like your family already know and they are trying to make it easier for you to open up to them. They sly comments are their way of joking about it to make themselves more comfortable. I say they want to make it easier because of the movie - It seems like they went to a lot of trouble to find you this movie...how close are you with your sister? Is she old enough to come out to?

Yeah my childhood sucked... I was pretty open about liking girls thinking back until 14, but my mom is ultra religious and had me go through church correction which basically you spend everyday with people brainwashing you how evil it is....so I went into denial and forgot a lot. I just finally came out and accepted myself almost 2yrs ago now. Don't wait to be who you are. It is not worth it. When you finally accept it and come out, you have a tremendous weight lifted. I feel alive and happy - I don't remember feeling this since I was young - and I have had two children, married twice. Not even my children's birth was as happy as finally accepting me for me.

Nic2552 and Elph like this.
  19. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't say if they already know or if they are THAT desperate to see me without boyfriend, which would explain the comments... About Love Simon, my sister wanted to see it but my mom didn't know the subject of this movie before watching it! She cried during the coming out to the parents part but she's a very emotional person, just like me! My sister just laughed because she said that it was like a drama and that it shouldn't be a big deal to say those things (if only she knew....) My sister and I are not close enough to tell each other secrets. She's 19, I'm 22 and every time I'm telling her something really important, she laughs at me! So I can't really tell her things that matter to me :frowning2: I would rather tell both of my best friends!

Omg... I'm so sorry for what you went through!! It sucks that religion plays an important role and families are stuck to their beliefs! I'm very happy and proud that you found the courage to be who you are, not letting your mother influence your life! We need more people like you! I wish I was brave enough to come out, at least to my best friends:frowning2: (I apologise if there are any English mistakes, it's not my main language haha)

20. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep, that's an authentic crush all right. (I've been there! Like yesterday.) I think you understand yourself pretty well.

Agree with above posters, your mom and sister know, and they think it's OK. Have a discussion. Ask something like "Would it be OK if I brought a girl home on a date?" A good answer would be like "Of course, dear, as long as she's nice to you."

Side note: I see you're in Europe. Thanks for taking the time and effort to learn English. I admire (envy?) people who are really multilingual. My five years of French, well, taught me a lot about my own language. And I can read French newspapers (slowly).