1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying Aunts

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any annoying aunts in your life? If so, feel free to vent about them here.

I've got these two aunts (married to my dad's brothers) who... well, they don't really go out of their way to annoy me, but they keep "liking" everything I post on facebook. And its annoying. I know I shouldn't complain, because I share my pictures so that people can appreciate what I get up to, but its always these same two women who are the first to like something I've posted.

And they always "like" it the second its posted. I'll upload an image to my newsfeed and instantly get a like and think "oh somebody likes it already" and it's always one of these two aunts.

And I don't like anything they post. I've actually blocked their content because they're always sharing those shitty posts with little poems and stuff saying "please share this if you love your daughter" or "if you don't share this post then that means you don't care if everyone dies of cancer" and all that sort of bollocks. So I can't say I'm particularly flattered that they enjoy my photos and artwork if they're into meaningless crap like that.

I'm tempted to delete them both, but then I'd feel kinda guilty. Relieved, but mean. Oh well, I guess it wouldn't kill me to be an ungrateful little shit.

2. MHJG

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s my first time to hear people say that they get annoyed by others liking their posts. Haha...

Love4Ever likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think when somebody likes everything, and so quickly after it’s been posted, the “like” stops having any signficance.

@Nice Dave I’ve blocked people for sharing the same sort of thing.

Can you stop your posts being shared with them?

Devil Dave and Shorthaul like this.
  4. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my word, yes!!!! My aunt (my mothers sister) likes to get drunk and ring me to shout about random stuff that is annoying her and to cry to me about my mum dying!

5. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Annoying cousin tried to tell my really annoying Aunt that I'm Bi. Not your place

6. MHJG

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How should we give a proper like? Don’t like everything or wait some time after posting.

7. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't know

8. MHJG

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it possible that you get annoyed not because you aunts, but the outcome didn’t meet your expectation.

9. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That and how they pry info out of me

10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you genuinely like everything you see and read equally, then fair enough, but most people like some things more or less than others. And no, I wasn’t suggesting you wait, but if somebody is liking EVERYTHING as soon as it’s posted, then they could probably stand to spend some time away from their phone.

MHJG and Devil Dave like this.
  11. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. It seems almost robotic when someone likes a post the second it goes live. As if they've set their facebook up to automatically select "like" on every single post by every single person on their contact list. Are they actually taking the time to look at these posts and think about what they like about it, other than the fact it was uploaded by their cute nephew who is all grown up now?

I mean, if I share something on my social media that has personal meaning to me, and a friend of mine who has similar tastes and interests likes it, or if I receive a like from someone who is hardly ever active on their social media, yet they've seen something in my post they can appreciate, then that's far more rewarding to me than receiving a like from someone who is liking and sharing just any old shit that comes up in their news feed.

#11 Devil Dave, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    LostInDaydreams likes this.
  12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I was really seriously contemplating starting up on social media. But I just don't know--people get upset when people don't like their posts, they get upset when people like them too quickly. Seems like a minefield I just don't need...

Love4Ever, Destin and tystnad like this.
  13. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not worth it man, not at all. I briefly had a Facebook years ago and the amount of strangeness and drama was overwhelming. The first problem is friend requests. You'll pop up in the 'suggested friends' list of basically everyone you've ever known in your entire life, and those people will send friend requests. What if you don't want to add random people you barely knew from years ago though? You have to reject their request. Then they send it again thinking it was a mistake. Reject again. Now they're upset that you won't be Facebook friends with them.

Second problem is other people tagging you in things. Someone posts a really bad picture or an offensive joke and wants you to see it? They tag you in it and it pops up on your page with your name on it. Then other people in your friends list see it on your page and get offended thinking you posted it. More drama. Like someone I know tagged me in a Holocaust joke on there once just because I was standing next to them in real life when they said it, and suddenly random people were accusing me of being anti-jew just because something I had no control over whatsoever popped up on my page until I noticed and deleted it.

Social Media has so many problems like this. I deleted my Facebook account and didn't make any other social media after a year of dealing with constant drama.

14. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Facebook is useful for following bands and artists so that you know when they are releasing a new album or video and when they are touring in your area. It's also useful for when you join social groups and you instantly get notified when they have organized they're next meetup event. So you have all your news and invitations in one place, which is convenient.

Some people seem to have an all or nothing relationship with social media. There a few people I would like to have stayed in regular contact with, and they use it so rarely they might as well not be on there at all. And then there are people who are on there constantly. If they do post something I might find interesting, I miss it because they've already flooded the news feed with other crap they've been sharing and blocked them because of it.

I've developed a kind of "less is more" attitude with my social media. I'll only share something if I think it's relevant to me. If it's a project I've worked on, I'll share it. If it's an event I've attended, I'll share it. I won't share something just because its cute or funny or shocking. I might have done that once upon a time, but the novelty wore off (some people still enjoy doing that) also a lot of your activity comes back to haunt you because facebook sends you notifications saying "on this day 10 years ago you wrote this on your wall" and it's me swearing about an episode of a TV show or something, and I can't be bothered with that any more, so I don't write status updates at all.

15. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have an older cousin who posts stuff like that, and I "unfriended" her. I unfriended an uncle who was always sending me notifications of the latest games he played. I also unfriended an aunt who is constantly posting (or more like sharing) far-left political stuff, and I would unfriend my older brother who always posts far-right political stuff, but I won't unfriend him because he does occasionally post pictures and info about my niece and nephew. (For the record, my political view is moderately liberal, and I don't object to people posting their political opinion, but my objection to their posts is the fact that they post so many of them it gets really annoying).

Devil Dave likes this.
  16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm quite lucky in that not many people in my family share political stuff. They were all at it when the whole Brexit thing first kicked off, but I think everybody's gotten bored and stopped caring now. One of my uncles (who is married to one of the annoying aunts I've been speaking about) seems to have distanced himself from social media now because he was falling for a lot of fake stuff that was being posted around facebook to deliberately wind people up (such as stories about supermarket employees refusing to serve soldiers and stuff like that) it was getting him angry for no good reason and it must have been embarrassing for him when people were pointing out that the stories weren't genuine.

17. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad's cousin's wife does the same thing! And it's always just a "like" - No matter what I post. It's very seldom a "haha" or a "love" or something else - Just a "like". And then there's another aunt of mine who frequents the Kruger National Park, and she posts about 10 or more pictures at a time, and my phone beeps every single time she posts something, so I'm usually the first one to see her posts, and the first one to react to it. It's come to a point now where I don't even look through all the pictures or watch the videos she posts. I just press "love" and then close the page. She takes gorgeous pictures, so I can commend her for that, but she posts a lot of pictures a day, and it annoys me.

Then the first aunt posts pictures of her lunch, pictures of her grandchildren, etc. that annoy the crap out of me. I purposefully do not react to those pictures because who in the world wants to know everytime she eats something? Seriously? And she posts A LOT of pictures of her grandchildren too, which annoys me to the worst extent. Don't shove them down my throat. I blocked her on WhatsApp because she was annoying me. I don't want to block or delete her from my Facebook though, because that would be too obvious. Maybe I should just "unfollow" her, so that I don't see ANY posts from her?

But yeah, I feel ya! I think we all have that one or two annoying family member(s)...

Devil Dave likes this.
  18. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Posting too much good content can be a bad thing as well. If I'm following someone because they upload great images, I'll see a flood of stuff they've just posted and think "I'll like it now and have a proper look at it later" and I don't because they just keep uploading new stuff and that prevents me from taking time to look at their old stuff. This was also one of the reasons I quite the deviant art website (there were other reasons I left that site which I won't go into right now) there were so many great artists and photographers I was following but they added stuff so frequently that I never got to check it out and couldn't take time to appreciate any of the work.

19. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Life is too short to be in contact with people wo annoy us online & in real life

If you feel like there stuff online won't keep you sane delete them but write something like "We just don't share the same mindset, sorry" before doing it
    so it don't get awkward the next time you see them face-to-face.

Somebody told me Facebook will only be open for business people next year.
    Don't know if it's truth. *theStresslessMindNotHavingFB*

20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously, I uploaded a video the other day, and one of them liked it within seconds of me posting it. It was about 6 minutes long so there's no way she watched it all the way or even halfway through! She just clicked like on it because I posted it! It could have been a video of me talking about how annoying some of my relatives are, and they would have still liked it!