1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effects of internalised homophobia on relationships

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Peterpangirl, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The unecessarily brutal and cruel way in which my girlfriend turned on me and ended our relationship makes me wonder how big a part internalised homophobia played? And how much was just our fruitloop dynamic?

From intense desire a couple of hours earlier, to her claiming that I was too open with her mother in a conversation in which I said nothing about the relationship itself, just the negative coming out experience with my own family. She labelled me as weird, because I have an autistic habit of tuning others out and not hearing what is going on around me when engrossed in conversation. I freely admit that it is odd. She said she wasn't proud to be with me around others as she should be, because of my oddity, and feared I'd say something too open and intense in front of her friends or family. She even asked me savagely "Is there something you are not telling me about yourself ? " - as if I have been concealing a raft of psychiatric disorders from her. I am many things but I am no liar.

I then had to face the humiliation of watching her kids in a drama production, still tear streaked and literally trembling from her attack, believing that there was something wrong with me, and actually feeling I had lost the plot completely, and I recall distinctly telling her in the car where we had it out "I want to be in hospital". All she could say afterwards, unsympathetically, was that she was worried that I'd bolt out of the theatre in front of everyone. I apologised to her Mum for embarrassing her and her daughter, to which she replied "No it's lovely you were so open with me".

On the otherhand she said it was still fine when it was just her and me together.

She worried incessantly throughout our relationship that we'd be seen kissing or holding hands in her hometown, saying that it would upset people or embarrass her family - that it would cause gossip. Finally, after a hopeless night in which I kept her awake because I felt so anxious and worked myself up over the future (job) muttering like a nutter to God for help, she was done with me. She said she couldn't see a future for us.

#1 Peterpangirl, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure internalised homophobia played a part. It's probably wasn't the only factor that caused the downfall of your relationship. It sounds as though she has many of her own issues that she needs to work through. Long term I think it's for the best she ended it but it's sad that she had to do it in such a vicious uncalled for way.

3. Hugh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to say this sweetie but she really wasn't right for you. You can put any label on it you want but I suspect she is the one with the problem. Don't examine yourself so closely and don't be hard on yourself. Relationships should be calm, comforting and healing. If they are not any of those, then they are utterly toxic. The problem, then, is moving on with the information which you have.

4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could be calm, comforting and healing at times. But then it would take a downturn. It was up and down. She was up and down. And when my mental state worsened recently and I wasn't as strong anymore it derailed.

I'm just so sad. There was so much beauty there. We really made love. I loved kissing and holding and touching her so so much....I cannot imagine finding that again. And I feel like I'm going to find it hard to trust a woman again.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give yourself time to heal. It sounds as though it was good when she was good and when you were providing everything she needed, but when it was her turn to support you she didn't want to know.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does sound like she had some serious internalised homophobia, and then the end of it all, I’m not sure what triggered it, but she certainly sounds really unsupportive. She’s done you a favour really because you’re so much better off without her. <3 <3

7. Hugh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's when you're down and at your weakest that you need the most support and she wasn't up for that. She may have her own anxieties which made her unable to cope with yours. But you need consistency and she couldn't give you that. Someone else will and they will love you for your human qualities rather than what you can offer on a good day.

Peterpangirl likes this.