1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Describe your creative process.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those of you who have creative pursuits, how would you describe your own personal creative process?

Personally, for me it goes;

-Creative buzz.

This is the stage where I have a lot of ideas suddenly, and my mind is racing. I quickly jot things down and the notes are usually a mess. Then I organise them into something comprehensible.

-Flow.

A time where everything comes together, and creating things seems effortless, even time-consuming tasks. Truly satisfying. I'm a lot more productive during this stage than when I'm in a trickle or a complete crash.

-Trickle.

Ideas start to present themselves irregularly, my creativity wavers and so does my motivation. Procrastination takes over.

-Crash.

Otherwise known as artist's block, or if you are talking about writing in particular than writer's block. No motivation and no new ideas. This is usually a good stage to take a break and find some inspiration elsewhere. Which can also help if I'm in a trickle stage as well.

-Trickle.

-Repeat.

#1 Canterpiece, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My creative process varies depending on which body of work I am currently focused on. I work in batches, switching between sketching, brainstorming, research, fieldwork, inking, and painting. The whole time there is documentation of what I am doing. I will draw the same thing several times in slightly different ways, experimenting with different colors and or lighting. I try to get a painting finished every 4 or 5 days when I am that stage of the production cycle. When drawing detailed studies it's every couple of days.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lots of time by myself. I've had days where I load up the work truck and have pretty much 8 to 10 hours of drive time all by myself. Plenty of time for my head to come up with all kinds of stuff.

4. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    -Randomly scribbling ideas until I get the one I like. Very inefficient, yet exciting when the idea hits me like a lightning bolt.
    -I start with a big chunk of something, then gradually break it down until I get the structure that I like. Boring but efficient.

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get all of my not-so-great ideas in the shower. I usually take note of them... however, I rarely develop my storylines, too little time.

6. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I typically like to take something that exists, a story, TV show, etc., and modify it with my own touch, instead of just creating something out of the blue.

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think I have an actual creative 'process' per se, but rather I just sort of play around with ideas that come to me and see what works best.

However, I do tend to give more time and focus to certain mediums. Stories, scripts, and animations tend to get more attention. Regular drawings are sort of on a whim.

8. Pseudo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm always creative in the middle of the night, especially when I have to get up early the next morning! I'm a night owl so don't sleep too well, suddenly having a great idea as I'm trying to force myself to sleep doesn't help. :grin:

9. Loves books

I have ongoing daydreams and I’m talking years long some of them started when I was four. I get different ideas from films and books and incorporate them in to my daydreams. I’ll have the same daydream multiple times because I like it. I’ll often pause a show or stop reading a book to put something new in my daydreams. I don’t write them down because my mother is convinced I could be a bestselling author. I’m convinced I’d end up in the nuthouse if I wrote my daydreams down. I have m6 own personal tv in my head and these shows will never end. Instead I spend my time trying crafts by reading instructions online.

10. Pseudo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What type of crafts do you do?

11. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dreams are a big part of my creative process. I write sci fi fantasy and my dreams seem to follow that genre. I've always said that I got into my nightmares to scare them... what does that say about me?