1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump Eyes Defining Transgender Out of Existence

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Oct 21, 2018.

1. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

#41 fadedstar, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2018
  2. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

@Destin the reason I bring up conditions like Androgen insensitivity syndrome (which exists in both 'total' and 'partial' forms btw) is not to directly compare them to the experience of being trans but to highlight why a policy based on using chromosomes or genital configuration at birth to determine official gender markers is a terrible idea.

Such policy making is not desperately needed by anyone. It's simply an appeal to populist rhetoric to keep the voter base engaged and on side. It's nothing but glorified attention seeking at the expense of others.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The NYT article is written kind of confusingly. I thought it was saying they were separating sex and gender so a transgender person couldn't change their birth certificate and old records that had the original sex on it, but could put their new gender on new things if they wanted to for current use. So someone couldn't just change both their name and sex on everything from their entire life and become a totally new person with no link to their past which would make things really confusing for anyone needing their information like police or debt-collectors who are trying to follow up on leads for a person that has no records anymore because they were all altered.

These posts make more sense now that I realize that wasn't what they meant.

#43 Destin, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even that would be a dick move.

Your birth certificate is an important document you need to show, and if you pass and it's still unchanged, people WILL think you have a discrepancy. The rest will just make you feel weird and uncomfortable. (or even discriminate against you)

The police and debt-collector can still track you with your social security number (if you access the info via the SSN, you can see all previous name changes and stuff). That doesn't change. If you can change your name but not your gender marker, how do you think they'd be able to track you? There's half the population with the same gender marker as you. How is that gonna help them track you?

5. Logarifm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Tram chose to be blind, he does not want to evolve. And the world is constantly changing. At the same time, in Canada, on the contrary, they are aware of the needs of the people. They have released new guidelines regarding evaluating refugee claims on the basis of sexual & gender identity and expression. So soon we will go to seek political asylum in Canada, escaping from the policy of Trump. :alien:

6. Seven Hil

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm under 18 and can't vote, so if you can vote then vote for all the people who can't. Use your voice and vote to make a change

7. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I voted, and I'm also honestly kind of considering moving to Canada at some point if things go completely downhill. I'm also considering getting social media (I've generally avoided that stuff, but it has its uses) and organizing protests if need be. If they won't respect us as fellow human beings and continue to try to make our lives more difficult, I'd have no shame about just annoying the living crap out of them and wearing them down until they're forced to listen to us, if only because they don't want to deal with any more protests or hounding. They should be ashamed for going out of their way to target us repeatedly.

Hopefully the Democrats controlling the House will be good for us and turn the tables a bit. I'm also hoping that by the time the next presidential election finally comes around, Republicans won't get in office again, or at least not assholes like Trump and Pence and their group of deplorables (because that term is indeed accurate, in my opinion).

This site has a survey that lets you write a message to the trans community and write your story:

https://www.dosomething.org/us/articles/trans-rights-human-rights

They said that they'd feature quotes from these surveys on social media, so it gives us a way to get a message out.

8. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, by protests, I mean peaceful ones. I'm not the type of person who wants to go doing radical, crazy things. I just meant that if protests are necessary, social media could be a good tool for organizing them. And for that matter, for getting the word out about issues like this, protests or not.

9. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care what Trump says if YOU are not happy as your given birth gender and YOU want to change it, YOU should have the right not anyone else. Not trump, not God himself can tell you how to feel about your own self.