1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any people that have experienced shyness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ljjgreat2017, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    What's up, EC?

I am interested in a poll relating to shyness. I am a 21 year old male and I am currently trying to overcome my shyness. I want to become confident and assertive. But it hasn't been an easy journey. I have tried to change my posture and socialize but there hasn't been a lot of progress.

I have a few questions though:

1) Do you currently struggle with shyness/when did you overcome it?
    2) How has shyness affected your life?
    3) What motivates/motivated you to stop being shy?
    4) What did you do to stop being shy?
    5) How has your life changed?

2. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I struggle from social anxiety disorder, so yes shyness has been a part of my life for long. Bt taking mirtazapine + some physical and mental exercises have relieved from it somewhat.

3. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was extremely shy in my youth to the point I would fake being sick to get out of any social function including school. It got so bad that I pretty much stayed locked in my house and wouldn't go out unless I had to. I missed out on so many things and just wanted to scream. I wanted to be like everyone else and not feel so self-conscious. It got to the point where a doctor told me that if I didn't do something about it, he couldn't see me being alive in ten years. That's what changed it for me. I wasn't going to die like that - never having lived.

I forced myself mentally to take on another personality - one that was outgoing, talkative and lively. I forced myself to be the one who would say hi first, make the first move, etc. Over time I didn't have to force it anymore; it became natural. I'd have a bad day every now and then and just stay home and hide, wind down from all the anxiety of putting myself out there. But over time it became easier.

I still struggle with shyness and I have to revert back to forcing myself to just take the leap. It gets easier but it doesn't go away. At least it never has for me.

4. Loves books

I'm really shy. I don't initiate conversations and I won't even make appointments over the phone because I'm so shy. I'm never around anyone so it has zero impact.

5. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could someone post this as a poll? It would be interesting to see the answers eventually......I don't have the IT skills...

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m still shy in certain situations but I used to be super shy. Having a job in customer service 8 years ago really helped, being forced to interact with person after person was good for me.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was very shy when I was young. It all pretty much changed in my early twenties when I came out. I remember it was like this whole new person with this new confidence emerged--I had no idea how profoundly the closet tamped down my whole personality. It's funny because decades later people are still surprised to find out I'm gay so it's not like this personality that emerged was some flamingly gay personality that had to be suppressed to maintain the secret but suppressed it apparently was any way. I remember my Mother commenting not too long after I came out that it was like I was "finally really there."

8. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's good

9. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Great story. I am still trying to overcome my shyness but I appreciate your insight.

10. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm shy too. I used to be a lot more shy. But my shyness has decreased over time. I'm still trying to overcome it though.

11. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm perfectly comfortable being shy, I don't like interacting with people.

12. LittleLamb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'll answer 2 of your questions:

Do you currently struggle with shyness/when did you overcome it?

Yes I do, actually I've been shy my whole life. I also struggle with social anxiety so that's a whole other level of this.
    I have yet to overcome this, I'm working on it but it's hard for me. The weird thing is I'll talk to cashiers, doctors, ect. but I can't bring myself to make friends with anyone, even if they are online friends.

How has shyness effected your life?

Well it's hard for me as a grown up to make friends. I went through a time where I didn't want friends but as I've gotten older I feel I really need at least one or two people in my life.