1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the family. How?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SkyAbove, Nov 1, 2018.

1. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

Hi Everyone!

I'm 27 years old and a lesbian. I grew up in a rather conservative family. I've been out to my closest friends and to some people since years, however I never did come out to my family yet. I've always had this fear of not being enough to them... of making them disappointed in me. I know it's ridiculous, becuse I've accepted myself since years now, but it had been a very long journey alone. I got used to rely on myself so much that now when I'm actually happy with the person that I am, I find it very hard to go to them and be open about myself. I want to go on this new and open journey in my life and I don't want to leave my family out of it. They don't deserve it, I don't deserve it. However, I've never came out to my family yet, so I'd be very happy if you'd give me some advice. What's the best way to do it?

2. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There isn't really a "Best Way" to do it as many people come out to family in different ways: Some people write a letter, some come out in a lengthy Facebook post (Me), some people talk to their family head on about it, some people make video's just for the family, it's just about how you want to come out Sky and when you are comfortable with it as no-one should force you to come out but unfortunately it does happen.

#2 sonic1337111, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  3. givenchy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out is daunting, but you need to do it in the best way for you. There is not one right way to do it. The right way is however you feel most comfortable doing it. It might be in a face-to-face chat or a letter left in a place you know they will find it, if you don't know how to actually say it to them. How to do it can vary from person to person too. I came out to many of my friends through text messages, because I knew it was the best way for me to actually express my feelings without anxiously messing the words up, however I was able to tell my closest friends face-to-face. It really depends on you and what you feel most comfortable with. Hope this helps xx