1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to meet people my age that understand what it is like in the closet at school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Diane05, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Diane05

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am out to my family but not at school. I live in a more rural area, and it can be hard in school, I am out to some people but not people that will understand what it is like.

2. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am so glad to hear your family is supportive and understanding. That is a huge asset for you right now. If your school has a guidance counselor, they should be a resource that will keep things confidential. They might know about a club or something you could look into. If not, your medical doctor might know about a local support resource for you, and they are bound by law to help you and maintain your privacy.

Keep your ear to the ground about LGBTQ+ programs in your area. If there is a population of young people that come out of the woodwork, these programs can help you connect with each other in a formal setting to talk about what it's like and just meet each other. Straight kids aren't really doing this, so... it should stay relatively anonymous for you.

Sorry, I know it is more difficult when you are young in rural populations. That's statistically just how it goes, unfortunately. Don't give up! It'll happen. Be patient and careful. Trust your gut.

3. JWillow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can kinda relate to you but I'm only out to my mum in my family and a few friends. For me , I feel my school/area is accepting at the most part, the real problem is my own family who are really religious.

Advice that I would give you is make sure at least some people know that will support you at all times if things get hard , and if you have a teacher you are close to , tell them that you are planning on coming out and you are a bit scared of what might happen. They will support I bet .

4. Toni1470

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know how you feel. I’m only out to my best friend and she doesn’t live in the same country as I do. It’s really hard especially if there are a lot of conservative people in your school. Teenagers can be very judgemental and cruel. I’d take comfort in the fact that some of the most important people in your life support you, especially your mom. I can’t really give advice because I’m only out to one person so it would be kind of hypocritical to tell you to do something that I haven’t, but stay strong. You’ll get there eventually. I think you’re really brave to have come out to your mom and friends.

5. Diane05

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks I will keep this in mind not everybody dislikes LGBTQ+ people at my school, and I try to surround myself with the people that are OK with it.

6. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All through high school I was in the closet about my sexuality... it's a hard time for teens anyway, without throwing this into the mix. The fact that your parents are supportive is a big help, my mom knew before I told her and she was kewl with it. Coming here to vent will help too. Good luck!