1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harassment and Being Blamed (long)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RavenK, Oct 26, 2018.

1. RavenK

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the begging of last week, a guy (names are kept private, I will refer to him as J) asked me to the Homecoming dance. I had known him for years, and he hadn't changed much since we met: immature, gets in trouble and kinda annoying. We were never friends, so I turned him down. I wasn't screaming at him or threatening him, just a no. That's when the harassment started. Every day, asking me out, to be his girlfriend, to go with himhim, calling my baby. We share a class, so it was unavoidable. I didn't think much of it, but then I started to feel uncomfortable and it escalated. He told his friends that I would be his girlfriend and they shouted at me while I went to wait for my bus after school. I knew one of them too.

I got scared, angry. And I eventually got into an argument over it with the one I knew, a girl in a class of mine. (I'll call her B)
    She defended him. "He can do what he wants." "That's not harassment." I got close, put my finger in her face. She got angry at the fact I was fighting, confronted her. She tried to end it by saying I'm not in the mood for this.

If it weren't for the coach intervening, it probably would have escalated with me swinging at her. I'm not a physical fighter. I don't like to use physical means to solve problems, even though I have a temper. But she's not in the mood for this. What does her mood hate to deal with my harassment? If she's annoyed, how bad did she think I feel?

B tried to deny anything was happening when out coach asked us if there was something wrong, but I told her. She emailed the teacher in the shared a class with J. It should have ended, and the teacher should have reported it to someone higher up.

She didn't, and it continued, the yelling at me from across the field, the attempts to start a conversation by J. I got the sense he was following me. I got anxiety about going outside after school or walking in the hall.

At one point, I told my mom, and she told me to go to the councilors. I reported it yesterday.
    During our shared class, B started to bring up the fact I had gotten in her face, asking her friend so you like hands in your face. I said, "Very subtle." Again, we argued. She blamed me. Several girls did. And one thought it was funny.
    That's not harassment.
    I told her he's in trouble. I reported it.
    You got an innocent person in trouble.
    I told her I'm the one who's innocent.

One girl was laughing really loudly. She thought it was funny. I felt betrayed. These are supposed to be people I could trust. She was in the LGBTQIA+ community! And a girl! How could she find it funny?
    I texted my mom. I wanted to go home. But I never did, told her not to pick me up.
    J harassed me in class.

After school, I stayed by one of the teachers outside, but when my bus arrived, he came up to me. I yelled at him, dropping the word f**k.
    Why are you being such a b**ch? B asked me.
    I yelled at her, got in her face, then pushed past her (she was blocking the sidewalk)

She pushed me, at my neck, then threatened to beat me. I knew she would. There were around six of them, only one of me. I am so afraid, I'm staying home today, missing school. They could easily jump me in the hallway or after school. My mom's worried about me going to Homecoming. I can't blame her.

I need to know what to do. I don't want to encounter them. I can't take legal action, can I? The school can't stop him from approaching me in the hallway or in the cafeteria. I can't switch classes around: I'd ruin my schedule. It's only a matter of time before it causes a breakdown. I'm afraid I'll end up in a depressive state from my Bipolar Disorder.

School is supposed to be safe, right? Teachers are supposed to be protecting us! So why am I not being protected? Why am I being painted to be the bad guy by my own peers? How much bullying will I encounter by my own classmates, the people who should understand me? I need help protecting myself, before I end up seriously hurt physically or mentally.

Does anyone know how? Does anyone else have experiences?

2. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I don't know much about U.S. legislation. But if you report this school (the entire institution) itself for failing to protect a student, the school most likely will have to be investigated and then they will be forced to do something, although they may ask you to leave after you do this.

#2 fadedstar, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2018
  3. RavenK

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The school can't be held responsible because I only officially reported it on Friday. But I told teachers. It's not fair but as far as the scool's concerned, they can't be held responsible. I'm only worried about retaliation of the students. I know how kids work. It's unfair but that's just the way it is.

4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

Hmm.. I would have thought if you were in physical danger the school would be legally obliged to see to it that you're protected. When you reported the bullying to the school did you only report the guy and his friends harassing you and not the girl who threatened to "beat you"? Because a direct threat of physical violence is very different to low level verbal harassment. It's different because assault is a criminal offense federally. If 'B' is over 12 years old she is legally accountable for any physical violence she enacts against you. And it most likely wouldn't reflect greatly on the school if the local media reported a student had been assaulted there.

#4 fadedstar, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  5. Jack H

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Fadedstar, if you are being threatened, which is breaking a law in itself, then you should report it to the higher school staff members. (Headteacher, etc.) Further if any violence is committed then you can report it, as well as reporting harassment from 'J'

Good luck to you, I hope you stay safe and make it known to people that this is happening.

-Jack

6. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chances are if you report it to the police what happened they will take care of it before anyone actually gets seriously injured or worse and chances are if there parents see it has harassment they might try and take you and possibly the school to court so hopefully that won't happen but it would probably be a good idea to try and get a lawyer but i'm not sure what the age for getting a lawyer is in the US

#6 sonic1337111, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. RavenK

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for supporting me! This website gives me hope. After more of the shouting at the dance and some rude comments, it got worse again Thursday and Friday. He wolfwhistled and then told me to drop my shorts while his friend laughed. I told my teacher he was bothering me but not specifics and she said she'd write him up (give him In School Suspension/ISS) My mom was done with this and came to school to talk about it while I reported it again. I got sick on Friday so I stayed home today and yesterday but I'm hoping when I get back, it'll finally be over.

The funny thing is that I remember a time when I was not afraid of this kid. He was annoying and immature but not a threat. He used to be a class clown of sorts. The world scares me, how twisted it gets when you're older. (We're High School kids, back when we met we were probably in fifth grade). It's strange how I was finally feeling happy and safe then something came hitting me in the face.

8. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That is definitely sexual harassment. Your profile says you live in Texas and I'm really sorry to say this but your odds of being taken seriously by law enforcement or the courts are very unlikely. White middle-upper class young men in specific get away with this behavior every day and our judicial system in the states is really lenient towards white men who commit sexual violations most of the time. Just recently in Texas a doctor repeatedly raped a patient who was conscious during the rape and got off with no jail time and only probation. I myself have been victim to sexual assault and sexual harassment multiple times throughout my short lifetime and it breaks my heart to say this but there really is not much you can do legally except try and get a no contact order with the guy. I've had friends who are unable to get any prosecutor to prosecute their abuser and so they have to petition for a no contact order/restraining order which seems much simpler. If you really don't want him to bother you anymore I would, with the help of your mother look up local lawyers that would help you out. If money is an issue search out pro bono lawyers, pro bono means they will help you for a heavily discounted price or even free. I am very sorry you were victim to this young creep, people suck.

#8 Serperior, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018