1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to figure out my Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sweldon, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Sweldon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey y'all. I'm warning you this is going to be a long story, but I want to ask anonymous people who have no agenda with me to see if I'm actually who I think I am or if there's something else that's underlying that I haven't accepted about myself yet. I'm going to tell you the entire story of how I felt in terms of my gender, gender-identity, and things along those lines from the beginning until now.

My name is Syd. My legal name is Sydney, but I go by Syd exclusively now. Throughout my life I have gone back and forth on whether I prefer being called Syd or Sydney. I don't mind the name Sydney as a name, but I think Syd is more fitting for my personality because it sounds slightly more androgynous. I sometimes spell it as Sid because the 'Sid' spelling is stereotypically more androgynous than the other spelling.

My early childhood was pretty gender-ambiguous. My parents didn't know whether I was amab or afab until the day I was born, so I ended up with an androgynous wardrobe. My favorite color has always been green from the get-go (not that colors have gender, but usually green is a bit of a 'unisex' color according to stereotype). I hated wearing dresses and tights and having long hair (that my dad would never let me cut). My typical go-to outfit was a Gap hooded sweater, boot-leg jeans, and a pair of nikes. I was diagnosed with Autism when I was 3, and didn't have any real friends at school because I didn't fit in that well. I did, however, have exclusively male cousins for the first 10 years of my life that I considered to be my brothers, and I had 1 stepbrother and 2 stepsisters after my parents divorced that I would see on the weekends. I never quite fit in with my stepsisters in all the girly things we did, but I didn't exactly feel like "one of the boys" either.

Fast forward to puberty age. When I first grew pubic hair and breasts, I felt very uncomfortable in my own skin. I was however, thankful that for the first several years after puberty, I was an A cup. Some of this stemmed from not being comfortable with having it, but I feel like even more of it stems from heterosexual males giving me unwanted attention. My father used to tell me that I would need to take care of what acne I had "for the boys" (this was before I fathomed I was bisexual). And again, while living with my father at this stage, he still wouldn't let me get my hair cut short (which was something that I wanted to do for a while at this point). I dressed slightly more feminine at this stage of my life, but still had a bit of androgynous vibes. I wore skinny jeans, converse, a t-shirt with lots of tanktops underneath (because they made my breasts less noticable through my clothes), and a hoodie.

Then when I hit 15 things got a bit more intense. I went from an A-cup to a B-cup, and seeing that in the mirror made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't like showers starting at this age because they reminded me of my breasts. I almost completely ditched wired and padded bras at this age because I hated that they reminded me of my chest and made me feel like I had bigger boobs. My questioning of my gender got even moreso because this was when I discovered Tumblr and Transmen that would be on there- some of them having similar experiences to mine. I wore ties to school and unisex T-shirts and skinny jeans and would put my newly short hair underneath a beanie. I remember one time being called "he" because one of my teachers assumed I was a boy, and feeling uncomfortable with it at the time. Eventually, I was grounded by my mom (I had moved out my dad's when I was 13, and the stepsiblings were gone). My mom grounded me because she told me that she never wanted me to be transgender, I used my beanie as a crutch, and was angry when she found out I confided in a friend about this confusion.

This goes into another phase of my life: After this moment, I did everything to be as Cis as possible. I would dress feminine almost every day. I shaved everything. I pulled out those wire/padded bras that were collecting dust and started to wear them. I grew out my hair to be really long and dyed it red. I remember feeling happy in this stage of my life because I got a lot of my mother's positive attention- which felt like a first for me since I was a small child. My mom really wanted a girl, and I really played into that to make her happy. I was happy during this phase because I felt like my mom loved me. However, I still hated wearing those bras and I was super deep into the closet with myself about my bisexuality . Gender was a completely taboo thing for me to think about at that point. So I adopted being Cis, and i felt happy because I got positive attention for being Cis, but at the end of the day it felt like I was playing it up a bit to feel her love.

After a year of presenting as very feminine, I slowly progressed away from it. When I was 19, which was 2-3 years after my ultrafeminine phase, I started questioning my gender again. I discovered gender fluidity and felt I could relate to some of it. I had someone address me by the they/them pronoun and felt very excited. I started going by Syd completely at this age and made me feel more comfortable in my own skin. Then I went to study abroad in Nicaragua, a country I had never been to before, and decided that I was going to be completely myself there. I wore cargo shorts from the men's section, I wore exclusively sports bras, people there exclusively knew me as Syd and it felt nice. I remembered questioning my gender a lot down there, but I also didn't care so much because I felt like I was still myself. I studied abroad with a group of all cis women, and I remember feeling like the odd-one-out because I was the most "boy" of the group. I remember having a dream once when I was down there where I woke up in a male body and I was perfectly happy with it, then I was sad to wake up because I wanted to do more in my male body. I told one of my friends while abroad about this dream, and she told me that she wouldn't be surprised if 5 years from now, I would end up being a transgender man.

Now I'm 20, and here's my stance on everything: I like to dress anywhere between masculine and feminine, but I tend to resort to something in the middle. I use she/her or they/them pronouns because he/him sounds strange to me, but I love when people refer to me with more gender ambiguous or masculine language (server instead of waitress, child instead of daughter, etc.), but I don't care too much if I'm referred to by feminine language. I do not want to take hormones in order to transition. Right now I don't want to get Top-surgery because my dysphoria isn't dire and I'd rather not risk it, but if I ended up having breast cancer, I would do a double mastectomy in a heartbeat before considering chemo or radiation. I want to get a binder eventually, but I am waiting until I move out of my family's home before ordering one because I don't want to have that conversation with them. I have no bottom dysphoria what-so-ever, however if tomorrow I woke up in a cis male's body, I don't think I would mind that much. Like, I don't dislike my body per se and I don't feel too inclined to change it, but I also feel like I'd feel similarly if I woke up tomorrow in an AMAB body.

2. i7025

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you're gender queer or genderfluid