1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Suppressing Myself?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by NickGatsby, Oct 26, 2018.

1. NickGatsby

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, all. I'm 17, so to many older people this is probably trivial. Even so, I need to talk to someone about this because I'm really struggling, and I don't have any queer adults in my life to talk with.

So, up until recent times, I've hated my physical appearance. I'm not really what one would classify as traditionally attractive for a 21st century teenage boy--I'm lanky and narrow-shouldered, with a long neck and a prominent button nose. At that point in my life, I thought I'd be alone forever--I'd only had one boyfriend, and two online "flings" that didn't really go anywhere. Looking back, I know I was catastrophizing, and I'm actually quite comfortable being alone for now. But, I think my negative self-perception still lingers, and it may be affecting the way I experience my sexuality.

I had felt a need to avoid the sexual. I couldn't bring myself to look at an attractive guy because I knew he'd be considered way "out of my league." Even now that I'm more secure, I feel the need to avoid the sexual for fear of those feelings coming back, to the point that I've felt almost disconnected from my queerness.

I guess I don't really know what I'm asking besides "any thoughts?" I'd really like some opinions on this.

Thank you, all.

2. NickGatsby

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    * Realized this thread is strictly for older people. I'm moving this somewhere else but I don't know how to delete it. Sorry!

3. Ronfindsit

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't think that what your experiencing is out of place or trivial. We all question if we're good enough or attractive to other, in my case i'm small & thin not much more than 100 lb. Never thought i was attractive to anybody. Finding a guy or anyone looking for a relationship. We all feel those self doubt.
    Don't let them hold you back from finding TRUE LOVE
    &
    Your in the RIGHT place.....
    Ron

4. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ex wife always said I was good looking but when I looked in the mirror I didn't see it.....I suppose we have to accept ourselves for what God gave us. We all have the right to be happy. Confidence is important and to love ourselves. Im finally learning this and exercise makes me feel good.
    To the original poster, your young and be proud of who you are and how you look. There is someone I have recently met, he is not overly handsome BUT he is very kind, has a nice personality and character. So it's not all looks and you will hopefully meet the right guy soon . In the mean time perhaps learn to love yourself Rade X