1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to crush on my close friend :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lookingup9, Oct 24, 2018.

1. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically, I have this friend. At this point in my life, I'd say she's one of my closest friends. We went to high school together and now college and we're better friends now than we were then. And she's wonderful, probably as close to perfect as someone can be. She's a loyal friend, excellent listener and advice giver. Quiet but super cool once you know her, very open minded, smart and she's gorgeous. So for MONTHS I've been telling her about this girl I have a crush on, going on and on about how perfect she is, and telling my friend how she and my crush would be good friends if they met because they're so similar. So now it's obvious where this is going haha.

I'm really trying to completely get over my crush because she's happily seeing someone, and I'm getting there. And recently it just occurred to me just how similar my crush and my friend are. I have been thinking of my friend in a romantic way and I think we could be great together if we gave it a shot. We care about each other a lot, obviously know each other really well and trust each other. There's only one problem. Despite knowing her so well, I don't know what her sexual orientation is.

It seems to be a choice on her part not to talk about it. I've shared so much with her but she hasn't done the same. So of course I'm not going to force her to say anything she's not ready to say. I just wish I knew, but she's so tight lipped about that stuff. Sometimes I suspect she might still be questioning herself, which is understandable because I'm still figuring myself out too. All she ever says is "the people who I like never like me back". She's talked about a few guys who have liked her but she's never mentioned a single person she's liked. It makes me suspect she might be interested in women but I don't trust my own judgment anymore because I read the signs from my crush so wrong.

I just usually never crush on close friends and I don't enjoy it because it just makes me feel so awkward. I'm just feeling very frustrated lately never having seriously dated or had any good sexual experiences at this age, I feel like a complete loser. I'm confused again lately because I'm not sure I want to date guys even though I think they're physically attractive, which just makes me double frustrated that I can't figure myself out. I don't even know what advice I'm looking for, I'm a mess and I wish I could control my feelings better lol.

Meander likes this.
  2. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My heart goes out to you... so much of your story and insights resonate with what I experienced. It is really delicate and emotionally draining to love your bestie. It hurts to lose a friend you experimented with before she was ready. It's definitely confusing if there is also hetero desire.

I think you are doing great! You sound so self-aware. Be patient with yourself and you will figure things out. These things are not easy to navigate and you will probably need to forgive yourself at times as well. This is normal.

Best to you and hugs!

lookingup9 likes this.
  3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, the challenge is how to bring it up casually. It seems impossible. But suppose you're planning to meet somewhere/time. You say "Could we treat this as a Date? Like with a capital D?" Or you're just hanging out and you ask "Do you think we would be good dating?"

There's no avoiding that it will seem to you to be too abrupt. But remember, other people have no idea anyway what you are going to say next. "Could you see yourself dating a girl?" "Could our friendship get romantic?" "Can we hold hands?" There are lots of lines, you just have to deliver them.

lookingup9 likes this.
  4. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You are right that it's kind of a shocking topic for people, even if they take it well.
    Be prepared by envisioning it going either way... good or bad.

I like the idea of asking about "could you see yourself dating a girl" to lead into it. And there's nothing wrong with prefacing the convo by honestly saying you have something personal to bring up.

Best to you and your friend! I hope it works out well eventually.

5. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel your feel. I've had a crush on my best friend for about 7 years

UMedusa likes this.
  6. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That is so exhausting. When I realized how in love with my bestie I was, I sort of had to break up with her in my head so I could move on emotionally. She will never understand why I put an abrupt gap between us, but... when your friend sees you as a friend and you see them as everything you want to love, it drains you and spoils them.

1kimber234 likes this.
  7. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I don’t think “could you see yourself dating a girl?” would go over too badly honestly. I was thinking I could preface it sort of by saying “you don’t have to answer if you don’t feel comfortable, but...”

I just feel like no matter what I say it’s gonna sound awkward. but she’s really laid back and knows I respect her so I doubt she would get really offended if I ask that question. Maybe it’ll be safer just to start with asking if there’s anyone she’s interested in lately.

I don’t want to really force anything or get ahead of myself like I did with my last crush. I was imagining all the cute stuff we would do together and all that before I found out she was taken. Yikes haha. I’m just gonna keep hanging out with my friend and hope she feels comfortable enough to give me some insight on whether this might be possible or not.

#7 lookingup9, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Meander, beenthrdonetht and UMedusa like this.
  8. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    *fingers crossed* :slight_smile: xxx

9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  10. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still do that.

Love4Ever likes this.
  11. chicory

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I formed a crush for my best friend who's trans shortly after I met him, but I'd come out to him as gay and knew I had crushes on girls (I now know I'm queer) so he never made any real move in that direction, even though I think he may have felt similarly about me (he's expressed interest in both guys and girls). I was too afraid to ruin the wonderfully incredible friendship and happiness we had in case he wasn't interested, so I never did anything or encouraged anything when he'd do little things that made me think maybe he felt that way or get too close. I just didn't want to lose him.

Two months ago, he suddenly started dating one of our other trans friends, and I was truly happy for them, but then that evening I had a breakdown while out by myself, completely devestated. Before I had felt like we had all the time in the world, and I just wanted to see if things slowly would develop romantically between us, and suddenly I felt like I'd missed my chance, regretted never even taking the initiative to see if the two of us were a possibility, and now I'm going through a rough time trying to get past it all. The three of us are really close and have been through some really tough times together -- they are really the best friends I could ever ask for.

I just don't know if it was better that I never said anything and still have him as my absolute best friend, if I would have lost him if I'd tried to find out, if an awkward distance would have come between us, or if I really did miss the chance to be with him. I don't know. But sometimes it all tears me apart and it's awful.

I've never been in a relationship, so it was out of fear and inexperience that I think all this happened. I just didn't want to lose him at all. But I do not suggest waiting like I did. It leaves you heartbroken and full of regret. I really like the suggestion that you ask your friend is she'd ever be interested in dating a girl. I think it's a lovely subtle way to find out her interests and your potential with her. Wish you all the very best

Meander and lookingup9 like this.
  12. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been able to shake that feeling of regret that you didn’t take your chance. I can definitely feel your pain there, I actually felt like parts of your post could have been written by me about my previous crush.

I liked her for a long time and really wanted to ask her out, but I was afraid of ruining our newly growing friendship. But the thing is, that girl is so nice that I think even if I had asked her out and she rejected me, it wouldn’t have been bad. She wouldn’t have run and told people we know, or been grossed out or anything. She would have let me down really easy and I still was too afraid to try, just because I’ve honestly never asked someone that before.

With this close friend I like now, I really think I have nothing to lose. I can almost see myself being able to play it off as a joke if I suggest we go on a date and she freaks out hahaha. But I will definitely start more slowly, making sure she’s into women and would be interested in a romantic relationship with one, etc.

I wish you luck too!! I love this forum, you guys are all so supportive. I feel your pain because I really thought my last crush was the absolute perfect match for me. I hope you’re able to move on and find someone and when you do, you’re not afraid to pursue them!

Meander and chicory like this.